Tempesta Impressions

wilsynet

Tempesta Impressions
« on: 7 May 2012, 10:59 pm »
I've been meaning to share my impressions for awhile and I figured now would be as good a time as any.

My present system consists of a LFD Zero MKIV solid state integrated amplifier, and I'm using the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC (currently being upgraded to MK2 by the dealer) as a source, and a 2011 Mac Mini with Audirvana Plus as transport.

The Selah Tempestas seem very easy to drive by LFD integrated.  The 60 watts into 8 ohms and 120 watts into 4 ohms seem plenty to drive the Tempestas to ear splitting levels in my listening position.  The Selah web site suggests 75 - 150 watts, and I can confirm that 120 watts should be plenty.

The Tempestas have a laid back presentation but with plenty of resolution, detail, and terrific depth and width of sound stage.  They are the most resolved yet laid back speakers I've ever heard.  Dynamics have a scale and immediacy, and sound is coherent and dynamic in such a way that I do not really miss the high efficiency, wide band driver in the Zu speakers at all.

They sound hi-fi in the sense that detail and resolution is all there, the highs are sweet, and the lower registers have me wondering if these are really full range speakers rather than stand mount monitors.  But they're not hi-fi in the sense that the presentation is above all musical, laid back, and easy and not a hint of glare at all.

Where other speakers will sound great but demand attention, I find these speakers cater to whatever whim and mood you happen to be at the time.  Want to listen and be immersed in music, no problem.  Want to listen critically, no problem there either.  You can listen deeply or you can listen casually -- it's all terrific.

The Tempestas seem to do everything well and I imagine that I'll be long term satisfied.  I've had them for over a month now and I haven't regretted my purchase for even a second.

My understanding from Jonbee is that if laid back is not quite what you're looking for, it's fairly straight forward for Rick to adjust for a more forward presentation.  Having said that, I was quite happy to take the Tempestas in stock form, and, as I've said, I'm quite happy.  These speakers are keepers.

Finally, let me also say that Rick Craig was wonderful to deal with.  He answered all of my questions patiently, provided me recommendations for stands, and the estimated build times that he gave were spot on.  I could not have asked for a smoother, more hassle free transaction.

wilsynet

Re: Tempesta Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2012, 11:04 pm »
For what it's worth, I've had a pretty decent amount of equipment through here in the past, although most of it was electronics and not speakers.  Some of it for a long stay and some of it only for a few days, and some just for a few hours.  I admittedly have had less experience with speakers than I've had with electronics, but nevertheless, I thought it would be a good thing to list some of equipment I've had over time as that usually gives better context.

Speakers: Paradigm S20, KEF (can't remember which ones), vintage KLH, Mark and Daniels Ruby, Zu Druid MKIV 08, Zu Essence, Zu Superfly.

Amplifiers: Quad II Classics, James Burgess 45, Sun Audio 2A3, Virtue Sensation, KingRex T20, Virtue One.Two, Antique Sound Labs AQ 1001 DT, Music Reference RM-10, Red Wine Audio 30.2, Sean Casper 421A, Atma-sphere S-30 OTL, Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL, Dayens Ampino, Dayens Menuetto, Bel Canto S300 Integrated, LFD Zero MKIV.

Pre-amplifiers: TRL Dude, Modwright SWL 9.0, Modwright LS-100, Transcendent Grounded Grid, Maple Tree Audio 4A SE, Red Wine Audio Isabella.

Various Digital: Metrum Octave, Tranquility SE, Squeezebox 3, Bel Canto SPDIF Converter, Empirical Audio Off Ramp 3, Audiophilleo 2, Benchmark DAC1, W4S DAC-2, Channel Islands VDA-2, Scott Nixon DAC, Audio Sector DAC, , UltraFi USB DAC, Red Wine Audio Isabellina, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC.

saeyedoc

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2012, 11:53 pm »
Thanks for your impressions, they are on my really short list right now.

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2012, 04:44 am »
I'm glad you like them.
FWIW, when mine were new, I thought they needed a bit more energy on the upper end and adjusted the crossover slightly with Rick's suggestions. However, as they broke in, they opened up and became more energetic and I found I ended up preferring a tuning very close to the original values. The changes are very small and have more to do with my room and amplifier signatures, so I'm not sure my experience is worth much to others.
As you said, they bring the music to you in a clear but subtle way that is both relaxed and dynamic; I tend to use the term "refinement". They don't push anything at you, nor are they recessed. For me, "just right", comfortable as a good pair of old jeans.
Friday I was listening to the original Chicago (CTA) album from 1968 - an old crappy cd that I'd given up on years ago as being too dull to bother with. I listened to the entire thing in disbelief- it sounded fine, not great in audiophile terms, but totally enjoyable as MUSIC. I was shocked and delighted. I felt I was hearing this CD as it really sounds for the first time.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2012, 06:25 pm by jonbee »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2012, 06:44 pm »
I'm glad you like them.
FWIW, when mine were new, I thought they needed a bit more energy on the upper end and adjusted the crossover slightly with Rick's suggestions. However, as they broke in, they opened up and became more energetic and I found I ended up preferring a tuning very close to the original values. The changes are very small and have more to do with my room and amplifier signatures, so I'm not sure my experience is worth much to others.
As you said, they bring the music to you in a clear but subtle way that is both relaxed and dynamic; I tend to use the term "refinement". They don't push anything at you, nor are they recessed. For me, "just right", comfortable as a good pair of old jeans.
Friday I was listening to the original Chicago (CTA) album from 1968 - an old crappy cd that I'd given up on years ago as being too dull to bother with. I listened to the entire thing in disbelief- it sounded fine, not great in audiophile terms, but totally enjoyable as MUSIC. I was shocked and delighted. I felt I was hearing this CD as it really sounds for the first time.

Really sad that they lost Terry Kath early on. He was an incredible guitarist who gave them an edge that was missing in the later Peter Cetera sappy years.

saeyedoc

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2012, 07:57 pm »
One of the first albums I bought was Chicago II.