RSA vs UberBuss

jhm731

RSA vs UberBuss
« on: 7 May 2012, 02:59 am »
Anyone compared any of the RSA units to UberBUSS?

RPM123

Re: RSA vs UberBuss
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2012, 03:10 am »
Yes. I used to own the RSA JACO and now I own the Uber and have not looked back!  :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2012, 03:25 am »
Yes. I used to own the RSA JACO and now I own the Uber and have not looked back!  :D

Impressive. Do you pair anything with the Uber for surge protection, voltage regulation, etc?

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2012, 03:33 am »

In what way(s) is the Uber better?

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2012, 03:36 am »
Impressive. Do you pair anything with the Uber for surge protection, voltage regulation, etc?

I don't feel that it's necessary since I live in the SF Bay Area where lightning storms are not that common. ( the recent April lightning show being an exception) Also, as far as I can tell the voltage is fairly constant.

RPM123

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2012, 03:50 am »
In what way(s) is the Uber better?

Well, for me one of the major differences was until I used the Uber, my phono hummed constantly. I have gone through a fair number of different PLCs, "regenerators" and cables and I always seemed to have a pervasive hum when in phono...even in different residences. The JACO was a very good PLC, however, phono hum was still an issue. Enter the Uber and voila hum is gone! I am not one to argue success, so I sold the JACO and have been living "happily ever after" with the Uber. It is in the same position as I used to have the JACO, with the same cables, so no one can say that the elimated hum is due to some repositioning factor! Apart from that there is less noise in my system in any mode. And the pricing is a bargain!  :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2012, 06:10 am »
Well, for me one of the major differences was until I used the Uber, my phono hummed constantly. I have gone through a fair number of different PLCs, "regenerators" and cables and I always seemed to have a pervasive hum when in phono...even in different residences. The JACO was a very good PLC, however, phono hum was still an issue. Enter the Uber and voila hum is gone! I am not one to argue success, so I sold the JACO and have been living "happily ever after" with the Uber. It is in the same position as I used to have the JACO, with the same cables, so no one can say that the elimated hum is due to some repositioning factor! Apart from that there is less noise in my system in any mode. And the pricing is a bargain!  :thumb:

Mahalo for the feedback.

Never had any hum problem with my system plugged into a RSA Haley/Duke combo that I've had for years, but I can understand that it must be a big relief to get it out of your system at a bargain price.

I recently had an opportunity to try the latest PCs from Audience and Synergistic Research with all their fancy power cables and found no improvement over the RSA units.

I'd love to try a Uber, but the shipping cost to get one here and send it back if I don't like it is expensive.

I do recommend you try some Synergistic MIGs under your Uber. 8)

Afterimage

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2012, 12:25 pm »
jhm731, so you tried the Haley against the Audience AR6Ts?  That one got a rave review but I'm not surprised the RSA was right up there.

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2012, 02:25 pm »
jhm731, so you tried the Haley against the Audience AR6Ts?  That one got a rave review but I'm not surprised the RSA was right up there.

I believe that Big Red Machine has replaced an Audience with the UberBuss. You might want to check with him or search his posts.

RPM123

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2012, 02:26 pm »
"I do recommend you try some Synergistic MIGs under your Uber."

Thanks for the tip! I use Herbie's feet under the Uber which is sitting on a wood floor and that seems to work well. I haven't tried anything else yet.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2012, 02:32 pm »
I do recommend you try some Synergistic MIGs under your Uber. 8)
I'd be curious to know if Dave (PI Audio) thinks this has the potential to do any good being that the unit is potted. 

mdconnelly

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2012, 04:05 pm »
I also previously owned an RSA Jaco, but when I had a chance to try the Uber, I found that I was able to save $$ and improve sound!   Hey, how often does that happen  :thumb: 

The Jaco is an excellent power conditioner and worked quite well in my system.  I suspect that if you also need power protection, the Jaco might be a better choice.  But overall and IMHO, the UberBuss provided a more musically engaging presentation.   

jhm731

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2012, 06:58 pm »

I compared my RSA Haley/Duke combo to the Audience adeptResponse 12-TS.

My front end components are plugged into the Haley and my amp is plugged into the Duke.

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2012, 07:00 pm »
"I do recommend you try some Synergistic MIGs under your Uber."

Thanks for the tip! I use Herbie's feet under the Uber which is sitting on a wood floor and that seems to work well. I haven't tried anything else yet.

The idea for the MIGs came from this review:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1336021032&&&/Synergistic-Research-PowerCell-10-SE-Mk-

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2012, 09:30 pm »
Well, after reading this thread, I decided to pull the trigger on a RevB that came up for sale. We will see how well it pairs with the Haley. I think I will need to keep the Haley or some other device for the surge protection ad voltage regulation that it provides. Here's hoping they pair well.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2012, 11:05 pm »
roscoeiii - looking forward to your results.

I'm leaning towards either the Uber or the Haley myself. I know they do different things, but they both seem to get a lot of great comments and few, if any, negative ones.

I don't get a bunch of lightning where I live, but do occasionally, so I have some concerns in that regard. I have more of the "junk in my power" issue. My voltage varies regularly, both too much and too little (the only thing I can measure with the equipment I have), and I have a very bad case of "changing sound". It's not real consistant time-wise, but very noticable. Every now and then, I can truly sit back and enjoy the music and make myself believe I have accomplished the act of assembling an "entry level" high-end system. Other times the system just isn't the same, and I am sorry to say this is by far the more usual case. I live in the sticks and I am of the opinion that the entire power grid is less than clean.  :(

I dream of something similar to the PS Audio power regenerating stuff, because it makes sense to me, but man, thats's a lot of $$$$ :o

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2012, 11:16 pm »
You'll want to audition that PS Audio Regeneration. I have tried it twice (1st the PPP, 2nd the P300 on everything but the amps). Ended up preferring the Haley.

I believe that you can find other surge protection type equipment that has paired well with the Busses in the threads here. One was a Furman, IIRC.

Will report back when the RevB arrives.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2012, 03:50 pm »
That Rev B disappeared fast.  Glad to hear it went to a good home.  Can't wait to hear your impressions. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2012, 04:14 pm »
I believe that Big Red Machine has replaced an Audience with the UberBuss. You might want to check with him or search his posts.

The Uber was a step up form the Adept unit.  Added teeth to the sound and lowered the noise a slight bit more in the process and was way less dough.  Not bad when a $9000 unit gets displaced for less money!!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2012, 04:20 pm »
  If anyone in the NY Tri-State area would like to hear an UberBuss in your system PM me.

charles