Which MAC Laptop ???

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Which MAC Laptop ???
« on: 5 May 2012, 03:23 pm »
  Going to make the plunge this week on a laptop. Will be using a PDX DAC with USB. The driver will be M2Hightech for DAC.
   My question is which Mac ?  A 2010 model  or the latest  2012 ? Not familiar with Mac at all. Would a SS hardrive for music storage and playback make a sonic difference ?
     Thanks for the help guys and gals as a non computer type.

charles

rpf

Re: Which MAC Laptop ???
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2012, 03:50 pm »
Hey Charles,

I don't know which laptop would sound better but try to install 8GB of memory (easy to do and cheap at http://www.macsales.com/).

See:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106027.msg1085148#msg1085148

Rob

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2012, 10:11 pm »
Why a laptop?

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2012, 11:30 pm »
Why a laptop?

+1

Also, depending on the size of your music library, using SSD for media storage can get very expensive. SSDs are typically used for the OS and the playback application, while the media is stored on external USB or FireWire drives.

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2012, 12:08 am »
I am in love with my larger-sized MacBook Air. I have five of them (use them at work) and own an external DVD drive for the rare things that must go in from a disk. They are a dream to use. Not a lot of storage, so if you're gonna plunk it down for music, I'd recommend storing the tunes on a hard drive.

Paul

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2012, 12:26 pm »
rollo disappeared....

I am in love with my larger-sized MacBook Air.

I'm in love with my 11"... mostly anyway, and will be absolutely when I time out to my next upgrade so I get the backlit keyboard back. But, the connection with a music server.... ? I wouldn't buy a laptop for a primary music server.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2012, 02:05 pm »
  I'm still here mates. Thanks for the tips and advice so far. Now why a laptop is a VG question John. 
  As stated I need to use M2Tech Hiface as a driver as it is built into my DAC. I guess all I really need is a computer or Laptop to have Internet access, store music, download music and play music through [ USB ] an outboard DAC. Either a Windows OS or Mac OS would work, I'm told by the Manf. of the DAC.
  I have basic computer experience other than getting here posting thats about it.   Would a Shuttle Barebones be too much for my needs. The computer will be in the listening room one shelf up from the DAC. Must be a quiet computer.

charles

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2012, 02:51 pm »

If you are going to buy a new Powerbook you might want to wait a bit as Apple is soon to release new Powerbooks that are said to be much more MacAir like.

Myself, I would get the new Powerbook and use it for everything. It's so nice to be on a site like this and listen to music at the same time. It's also a hassle to have more than one machine and have everything synced and up to date with each other, unless you subscribe to Apples cloud service which automatically syncs all your Apple devices.

One note: Another AudioCircle member replaced his Mac Mini powercord and the glassy hardness went away in his system. It was quite an improvement. Can't do that with a laptop.

Rocket_Ronny

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2012, 03:49 pm »
A Mac Mini plus an iPad to control it (and surf the web) costs $1000 ($600 + $400) for 4GB. $50 more (aftermarket) to get to 8GB RAM (essential IMHO).

A MacBook Air with 4GB is $1300 with much less storage and can't be upgraded in memory.

A MacBook Pro with 4GB is $1200 plus $50 to get to 8GB.

Plus the laptops have less flexibility in system configuration: you'll have to be sitting next to your DAC or use a really long USB cable.

Don't know anything about PC based computer audio.

Charles: If you like, come by again and I'll show you how my system (sounds much better now with several changes) is set up with the Mini controlled by my Macbook (same as with an iPad).

Bigfishhk

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2012, 03:36 pm »
A Mac Mini plus an iPad to control it (and surf the web) costs $1000 ($600 + $400) for 4GB. $50 more (aftermarket) to get to 8GB RAM (essential IMHO).

Are you saying that the iPad can mirror the contents of the macmini.? (ie not just show iTunes with Remote)
In that case all I need is macmini with 8g ram. No need for LCD monitor/ tv, keyboard, mouse?
If so, I could navigate folders, desktop, software, web browsers etc of the macmini on IPad? Via wifi or which cable connection?
wow!
Very strong case for macmini over laptop as I already own iPad and am weighing options MacBook pro vs macmini.
Will definitely wait for next generation of Mac mini though.
Tx
Tom

brother love

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2012, 04:57 pm »
Are you saying that the iPad can mirror the contents of the macmini.? (ie not just show iTunes with Remote)
In that case all I need is macmini with 8g ram. No need for LCD monitor/ tv, keyboard, mouse?
If so, I could navigate folders, desktop, software, web browsers etc of the macmini on IPad? Via wifi or which cable connection?
wow!
Very strong case for macmini over laptop as I already own iPad and am weighing options MacBook pro vs macmini.
Will definitely wait for next generation of Mac mini though.

The answer is Yes!  8)

I have an iPad, Mac Mini, & Airport Express.  I can access the desktop of the Mac Mini on the iPad by using an app called Remotix Lite (free). It's VNC.  The catch: it is black & white, but you can do all the functions.  They make a color version that is $20 or so as I recall.  Before I acquired the Mac Mini last week, I was accessing my iMac from my iPad w/ the same app.

Even though the Mac Mini is my music server, I have connected an HDMI cable to my 42" plasma directly above it to access desktop for larger, easier to read music file access & the occassional web browsing (w/ a bluetooth keyboard/ mouse). Fun stuff!

genjamon

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2012, 06:19 pm »
I use the iPad and MacMini combo as well, and have tried several different remote desktop apps for controlling the MacMini using iPad.  I ended up paying $5, I think, for the Splashtop app.  It was worth the money, as it allows use of multitouch to enhance functionality of navigating the MacMini.  It also has much less lag in screen refresh rates than some of the free ones I've tried. 

It requires downloading a program to the MacMini with its own streaming protocols, rather than using the native ones.  The only problem I have with it is that this program automatically resizes the MacMini screen to the iPad screen size when in use - a problem when I have my TV on and want to use the MacMini to watch something online on the TV or a movie.  For those cases, I use one of the free streaming programs (My Mac is the name), which doesn't resize the screen, but also doesn't have the level of functionality as the Splashtop app.

And, yes, this is done using my home Wifi network.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2012, 06:53 pm »
The answer is Yes!  8)

I have an iPad, Mac Mini, & Airport Express.  I can access the desktop of the Mac Mini on the iPad by using an app called Remotix Lite (free). It's VNC.  The catch: it is black & white, but you can do all the functions.  They make a color version that is $20 or so as I recall.  Before I acquired the Mac Mini last week, I was accessing my iMac from my iPad w/ the same app.

Even though the Mac Mini is my music server, I have connected an HDMI cable to my 42" plasma directly above it to access desktop for larger, easier to read music file access & the occassional web browsing (w/ a bluetooth keyboard/ mouse). Fun stuff!

Great!

Btw to confirm -when using the iPad, I won,t need a keyboard and mouse?  But if and when I connect macmini to tv, will obviously need keyboard and mouse.
Are u using Apple keyboard and mouse?

genjamon

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2012, 07:00 pm »
Both of the iPad apps I use have basic keyboard functionality similiar to that available on the iPad itself.  The Splashtop one has a better integrated keyboard with some additional features, but the basic free one I use also does.  You wouldn't need a mouse, as that's the whole point of having a touchscreen instead.  However, I have found it useful at times to have a bluetooth keyboard (I happen to have an Apple one, but other manufacturers make them that work with Apple products).  Not necessary, but sometimes more convenient than having to open the keyboard function and type on the touchscreen then close the touchscreen keyboard when  not using it. 

If I were you, I wouldn't buy the accessories until I'd given it a try without.  If you're too frustrated and want some bluetooth keyboard or mouse, then go ahead afterward.  I had my iPad for about three months before springing for the keyboard.

brother love

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2012, 07:20 pm »
Btw to confirm -when using the iPad, I won,t need a keyboard and mouse? 

That is correct.

Are u using Apple keyboard and mouse?

No.  I purchased a 2011 Mac Mini off local Craigslist & it came w/ a Rocketfish bluetooth keyboard & mouse (the keyboard is huge!  :lol:). I use it mainly when the wife is utilizing the iPad elsewhere. I could set it up to use existing  iMac keyboard/ mouse, but the Rocketfish will do for now.

As genjamon noted, experimenting w/ various remote apps & playing around w/ basic stuff first before accessorizing is a good idea.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2012, 08:15 pm »

If I were you, I wouldn't buy the accessories until I'd given it a try without.  If you're too frustrated and want some bluetooth keyboard or mouse, then go ahead afterward.  I had my iPad for about three months before springing for the keyboard.

thanks guys for this info.
Looks like my initial outlay will be Macmini approc $600, software $5-20 eg Splashtop approx $20.  8gb RAM- approx $60.  approx half the cost of MAcbook Pro. Nice.
And later can add keyboard and mouse.

Look forward to new macmini hitting the market.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2012, 08:32 pm »
one more thing I forgot to ask. Is the macmini pretty quiet, so can be placed next to audio system, usb cable to DAC?
thanks
TOm

rpf

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2012, 08:37 pm »
My Mini is pretty quiet but I'm using an external drive for my music files and it is not. So I don't know if the Mini would be any noisier if you're storing and playing music files from the internal drive.

I have my external drive and Mini in a (ventilated) Salamander cabinet which helps with the noise but I would still like to get the external drive out of the room at some point.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2012, 09:52 pm »
My Mini is pretty quiet but I'm using an external drive for my music files and it is not. So I don't know if the Mini would be any noisier if you're storing and playing music files from the internal drive.
Recommendations for quiet EX HDrives anyone?

thanks
TOm

brother love

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2012, 10:30 pm »
thanks guys for this info.
Looks like my initial outlay will be Macmini approc $600, software $5-20 eg Splashtop approx $20.  8gb RAM- approx $60...

FWIW, Yesterday I bought Crucial 8 gb memory (4gb x2) off Amazon for $46 w/ free shipping.  :green: