Amp recommendations with Van Alstine/Dynaco PAT 5 preamp

grado2000

I have the pleasure of owning a Van Alstine modified Dynaco PAT 5 preamp and am looking for some input concerning the potential upgrade from my current Parasound HCA 800II. My question is will a Dynaco/Van Alstine amp work best or is there another combination that really shines? Associated equipment is a Sonagraphe SGA-3 turntable with Grace 707 arm and Benz Micro cartridge, NAD 5425 CD, Spendor SP 2/3 speakers and my primary playback medium is vinyl.
I would appreciate any input on a potential upgrade.

avahifi

Re: Amp recommendations with Van Alstine/Dynaco PAT 5 preamp
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2012, 08:27 pm »
For your information, we did have the opportunity recently to compare a big Parasound amp (two two guys to carry it in) with a Synergy 450 here in my sound lab.

It was no contest at all.  The Parasound owner was pretty surprised at how huge a positive difference the Synergy amplifier made.

Note that if your Spendor speakers are reasonably efficient (86dB or so) then all you would need is the Synergy 300 which is $500 less.  The 450 and 300 have identical audio circuits, the only difference is the power (150W/Ch vs: 225W/Ch.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2012, 01:19 am »
What is the power output into 4ohms on the Synergy amps?  Do they double down?

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2012, 06:03 pm »
Synergy amplifiers will effective produce double 8 ohm power into 4 ohms, up to the limits of the recommended maximum speaker fuses built into the back panel of the ampliifiers.

Exceeding the maximum fuse size, or using slow blow fuses for this always quick blow fuse application, will save you the trouble, bother, and cost of replacing fuses.  All you will then need to do is replace speakers when fate, an accident, or "we had a party last night and - - - -" happens.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 10:36 pm »
Frank,

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding this:  If the Synergy 450 has a headroom of 60 volts peak, or 30 volts peak per channel, then at 4 ohms nominal speaker resistance it can deliver up to 210 watts continuous before blowing a 7 amp maximum recommended speaker fuse?