Results of a Mac Mini memory upgrade from 4 to 8GB

rpf

I just upgraded the memory in my Mini from 4 to 8 GB (as it's now so cheap - $50 at OWC). I was mostly looking for more speed in iTunes program response. I was also hoping for a slight improvement in sound, as my reading of various threads indicated that was all I should expect.

The sound improvement is not subtle in my system (see below). I can't believe how much more resolution there is: more dimensionality, more image separation, more tonal accuracy, more continuousness and more dynamics; both macro and micro. By far the most improvement I've ever gotten from anything that cost less than several hundred dollars.

I may now have to go for the SS internal drive upgrade.  :roll:

System: 2010 Mac Mini (8GB RAM, stock internal HD, external 3TB Lacie firewire drive) > db Labs Essential USB > ART Legato > Cardas Lightning 15 Digital IC > Eastern Electric Minimax DAC (modded) > Kaplan ICs > Rogue Cronus Magnum (KT120s) > Kaplan Speaker Cables > Aural Acoustics Model B speakers (very revealing speakers).

cujobob

Re: Results of a Mac Mini memory upgrade from 4 to 8GB
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2012, 02:22 am »
How does this affect the sound? I imagine if you're using it for music, not much memory is required..

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2012, 02:34 am »
Hm, interesting. What player software are you using?

omasciarotte

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2012, 02:35 am »
Hey rpf,

If you launch Activity Monitor, you should see very little Disk Activity, and your Memory Usage should show a fairly large block of Free memory. If you had looked at this before your upgrade, you most likely would have seen just the opposite!

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2012, 02:54 am »
I did that a long time ago and while I don't remember the exact number, I don't think the percent of memory being used was high (I only use the Mini as a music server). Obviously whatever it was, it is now halved. And the result is very  8).     :lol:

rpf

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2012, 02:57 am »
How does this affect the sound? I imagine if you're using it for music, not much memory is required..

I'm not sure what you're asking. I posted the results in sound improvement.  :scratch:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2012, 02:59 am »
I'm not sure what you're asking. I posted the results in sound improvement.  :scratch:

Perhaps this quote from your original post will help:

I can't believe how much more resolution there is: more dimensionality, more image separation, more tonal accuracy, more continuousness and more dynamics;

:thumb:

Anand.

rpf

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2012, 03:01 am »
Hm, interesting. What player software are you using?

I'm using iTunes at the moment. I tried Pure Music about a year ago and didn't care for it at the time. I've been changing pieces of my system ever since and have wanted to get things settled before auditioning the various players available. Which I will get to soon.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2012, 11:15 am »
There's plenty to try now!

Anyway, this is a good reminder, thanks  :thumb: You can get 16GB memory kits for the 2011 mini but $/GB it's about 80% more so I will probably just get an 8GB kit.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2012, 11:19 am »
I'm using iTunes at the moment. I tried Pure Music about a year ago and didn't care for it at the time. I've been changing pieces of my system ever since and have wanted to get things settled before auditioning the various players available. Which I will get to soon.
I'm really surprised you hear a difference using iTunes.  I can understand it if you are using Pure Music and playing from memory.  That kinda makes sense but not from iTunes. 

If you're happy that's all that matters.   :thumb:

Oh, yes, the SSD is an awesome upgrade for boot time.  Mine boots in ~18 seconds. 

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2012, 12:20 pm »
I'm really surprised you hear a difference using iTunes.  I can understand it if you are using Pure Music and playing from memory.  That kinda makes sense but not from iTunes. 

Oh, yes, the SSD is an awesome upgrade for boot time.  Mine boots in ~18 seconds.

I was very surprised also.

Jason, what, if any, sonic difference do you hear with a SS drive?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2012, 12:24 pm »
Jason, what, if any, sonic difference do you hear with a SS drive?
Much blacker background from no spinning drive.   :D

I think it's very hard to compare with the amount of time between changes. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2012, 12:52 pm »

Mine boots in just under 5 sec. Thanks to jtwrace.  :thumb:

Anand.

cody69

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2012, 01:28 am »
I have a mac mini3.1 with 2Gb RAM that I've been thinking of upgrading the memory to run OSX Lion. However from what I've read, the memory upgrade is not simple.

For anyone that's installed memory in this particular machine, can you comment on the degree of difficulty for someone who is pretty comfortable working with electronics.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2012, 01:53 am »
FWIW, you can run Lion with 2 GB.

brother love

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2012, 07:59 pm »
Just posted in my thread below, but I picked up a 2011 Mac Mini w/ 2 gb memory this week. I'll be upgrading to 8 gb soon like I did my iMac (cheap $42 upgrade). But results so far ...

I optimized the Mac Mini w/ OS X Lion per Larry Moore's- Ultra Fi guide for Snow Leopard.

Running Decibel Audiophile player w/ exclusive access mode Activity Monitor indicated as follows:

24/ 96 track: memory used 1.1 gb w/ 900 mb free;  CPU 97% free w/ user 1.25% & system 1.75%

A couple other tracks ... 16/ 44.1 1.9 gb used, 100 mb free; 24/ 192 1.99 gb used, 10 mb free !

cody69

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2012, 11:16 pm »
24/ 96 track: memory used 1.1 gb w/ 900 mb free;  CPU 97% free w/ user 1.25% & system 1.75%

A couple other tracks ... 16/ 44.1 1.9 gb used, 100 mb free; 24/ 192 1.99 gb used, 10 mb free !
Do you happen to remember the memory usage you had before upgrading to Lion?
Although I don't have any direct experience with Lion yet, reading various sources indicate it trades off performance improvement at the sake of memory usage -- which is reasonable considering cost of chips these days.

FWIW, you can run Lion with 2 GB.
Agree Lion will run with 2 GB; since I get a fair amount of paging (outs) with normal use on my system running OS X 10.6, and a lot of paging activity when editing video and pictures, I was thinking I needed to increase memory to get full enjoyment of Lion.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2012, 12:30 pm »
it can be a little daunting to crack that sucker open. I had to replace the hard drive on my older mac mini core solo and upgraded the memory from 1 gig to 2 gigs. Personally I am dubious of many of these changes like power cords and more memory etc. that result in "improved" sound. I use decibel and memory play, keeping in mind that 1 gig of memory represents over an hour of 16/44.1 music and 15 minutes or more at 24/96, plenty of buffer space. I use the toslink output and am very happy with the sound.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2012, 12:49 pm »

Mine boots in just under 5 sec. Thanks to jtwrace.

Can you share the Nascar, Hotrod, secrets?

Rocket_Ronny

Bigfishhk

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2012, 09:10 pm »
Er, any consensus here on whether amount of memory affects SQ, esp if mac mini used for music server only?
soon to buy one. Do I need 8gb memory?
thanks

TOm