Trip to Yellowstone

Mag

Trip to Yellowstone
« on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:08 am »
Okay, I took these pictures on our trip to Yellowstone in '79, with my Pentax Spotmatic II camera.

I scanned them with my inexpensive scanner then edited in CS6. Though it may not look like it they are quite an improvement color wise over the original prints.

The borders around some prints are the crop as I re-sized them to 4x6" for test prints on my new Epson Stylus R2000 which I pickup tomorrow.

nathanm

Re: Trip to Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2012, 04:13 pm »
I bet you can do better still, Mag.   :thumb: Give those babies proper curves and sharpness and you'll be cooking!

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:43 pm »
That's kinda neat. The look like Ektachrome slides from the 50's. (And yes, I do have some. Forgot where I found them though.)

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:47 am »
I bet you can do better still, Mag.   :thumb: Give those babies proper curves and sharpness and you'll be cooking!

Thanks for the input. Tweaked some more, a couple of re-vised photos for comparison and a few more.

kgturner

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2012, 03:19 am »
Nice pics. Here's one of mine from my trip to Yellowstone in June of 2011.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2012, 07:05 am »
Great shot! :o

Got my new printer hooked up and running, Epson Stylus R2000.

A scanner comparison between the old unedited print and updated photoshopped print.

navi

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:04 am »
yellowstone? isn't that were Yogi Bear lives?

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2012, 03:04 pm »
Thanks for the input. Tweaked some more, a couple of re-vised photos for comparison and a few more.

First the color should be balanced, there's still way too much magenta cast in them overall.  I have sympathy though, old stuff can be notoriously difficult to fix,  sometimes there's just too much fading.  But I think these are within range of rescue.  Kgturner's image, even though it's a modern shot, is a good reference for the color balance.  Not that it has to be exact, your shots could still have some cast to maintain the vintage feel, but that's more where you wanna be.

I wouldn't go here with the high radius sharpening though, it looks really artificial.  That only works at very low Amount levels if you want to boost edge contrast.  What I would do is maybe start off with a light, high-radius sharpening to enhance the 'clarity' just enough so that it doesn't cause halos, and then go for a second small radius, 2 pixel or less sharpening to crisp it up a bit.  Of course this depends on your native resolution of the file of course.  Print sharpening and screen sharpening can require different settings.