AR turntables which one

xsb7244

AR turntables which one
« on: 23 Apr 2012, 07:38 pm »
There are different models of this turntable, elaborate please.

dB Cooper

Re: AR turntables which one
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2012, 08:17 pm »
I  suspect when wayner sees this you will get the lowdown

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2012, 09:22 pm »
AR-XA and AR-XB have shielded motors (Grado cartridges work great).  Later models did not.

XA has wood base and manual all the way.  XB has a vinyl wrapped base with a (manual) damped queing device.

I still use a XB as my every day table.

For reliable used tables check with vinyl nirvana.

Check avahifi.com Audio Basics for maintenance tips and tweeks.

Regards,
Dean

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2012, 09:27 pm »
The are a few.

The AR-XA is probably the most common and most sold. I think it dates to 1967 but others can correct me if I've got the first year wrong. That is a plain jane model with an on/off switch and a manual tonearm.

Basically there are two versions of this table. Version 1 has 2 motors and should be avoided at all costs. Version 2 had 1 motor, but there were a couple versions of this. The one with the Haydon motor was pretty hum free.

Then came the AR-XB with cuing lever. Not sure if this one ever came with a real walnut cabinet, like the AR-XA.

Then there was also "The Turntable" and the ES-1 but the history or alignment, time wise is unclear to me. AR had by that time was bought and sold a couple of times.

This one seems to bring in the most money on eBay or Audiogon:

The plain jane AR-XA:

Wayner

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2012, 09:34 pm »
AR-XA and AR-XB have shielded motors (Grado cartridges work great).  Later models did not.

XA has wood base and manual all the way.  XB has a vinyl wrapped base with a (manual) damped queing device.

I still use a XB as my every day table.

For reliable used tables check with vinyl nirvana.

Check avahifi.com Audio Basics for maintenance tips and tweeks.

Regards,
Dean

Well no, the haydon motor is not shielded. it's just 1.5 watt vs the 3 watt motor of the TheTurntable and ES-1.
it produces 1/4 of the EMI of the later tables so the Grado doesn't pick much up.  The XA table is completely manual in cueing and removing the arm. The XB has damped cueing, and a little different plinth. The EB101 came in two versions. the early one is just about impossible to make improvements to. the second generation of the EB101 and the TheTurntable mechanically are identical, the plinths are different. the EB101 is a squared box the The and ES-1 are rounded plinths (top and bottom edges). From the second generation of EB101 and up, arms can be changed easily with a change in the armboards as well. Any of the AR tables can be upgraded, or modified to some pretty lofty standards. Some very cheap and easy to install upgrades on any of the tables will get them past any "today's" entry level table.  PS: vinylnirvana isn't the only game in town.

wkjeffers

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm »
The shielded motor is essential for the  Grado cartridges. I have found that they hum on the unsheilded models

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2012, 10:59 pm »
The Haydon motor is encased in Mumetal and the shaft is non-magnetic.

Lefty is correct with his statement.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm »
Here is two of mine:

Wayner

BaMorin

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:32 pm »
The Haydon motor is encased in Mumetal and the shaft is non-magnetic.

Lefty is correct with his statement.

Wayner

Nah, the case is 0.020" stamped aluminum held on with a green colored glue, the shaft of the motor is a 4 series steel that a magnet sticks to. Had 3 apart last week, got one in my hand as I type.  EMI field halves in strength every time you double distance from the center. The 1.5W haydon has 1/4 the field of the 3 Watt Hurst. So at the beginning of an album a Grado cart really hasn't much emi field to pick up from it. The original two motor AR's had soft iron sheet metal strapping the motor in place. That works as a shield the same as it does on old TV speakers that were mounted near the picture tube.

xsb7244

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm »
What about the ETL-1 ?  Any agreement on the best AR turntable?

BaMorin

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:42 am »
What about the ETL-1 ?  Any agreement on the best AR turntable?

It certainly was their most expensive table. I'm not sure it sounded any better than an ES-1 with the same arm and cart. It was more "tuneable" from the factory with the out-rigger weights at the arm end of the subchassis should you change to a lighter or heavier arm. I'm not a fan of "correct it after it happend" speed controls. It shared the same main bearing well and thrust bearing (sapphire) as the ES-1. The platters were heavier on the ETL-1. And it could be had in piano black

xsb7244

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:28 am »
I use to own the AR XA with the Rabco SL-8E tonearm once upon a time.  Who has done the George Merrill mods?  the Vinyl Nirvana mods?  the Sound of the Wood mods?  What about the BaMorin mods?

BaMorin

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2012, 04:16 am »
I use to own the AR XA with the Rabco SL-8E tonearm once upon a time.  Who has done the George Merrill mods?  the Vinyl Nirvana mods?  the Sound of the Wood mods?  What about the BaMorin mods?

Well I certainly have  :lol:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?120972-AR-XA-modification-success!&s=71b21251c7f5aee7f907f6cd0b495d53

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5437571&posted=1#post5437571

One of our fellow ACers has some of my mods on his AR TheTurntable.

and then there's always the "side work" I do

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=405770

Unfortunately 99% of the technical "papers" I wrote for the AR forum on Vinylengine were erased from 2006-7 on.

jakelieb

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:42 pm »
For all things AR Turntable check out vinylnirvana.com

Dave Archambault is a great guy and has upgrades for AR turntables.

Jake