Under the bathroom sink plumbing problem?

danis11

Under the bathroom sink plumbing problem?
« on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:39 pm »
Hey,
I have already replaced the plumbing under the sink in the bathroom. The problem is the new plumbing is leaking where it connects into the wall and also where it connects to the sink. I have tightened the connectors up as tight as I am able and it still leaks. How can I fix this problem? Is there any one who suggests good Plumbing Supplies who can fix this problem?
Thank you.

rodge827

Re: Under the bathroom sink plumbing problem?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:41 am »
If possible post a few pics of the leaks so you can be helped better.  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:44 am »
What is leaking, the supply or the drain?

Are you using new fittings or old fittings?

Any teflon tape used on the threads?

Dissimilar metals, as in copper to steel connections?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:18 am »
A partial blockage can also contribute to the problem where the water can't get out as it should.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:20 am »
PS - welcome to the forum - here is a link that could be of use as well - http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/plumbing/how-to-repair-plumbing-pipes.htm

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:23 am »
What is leaking, the supply or the drain?

Are you using new fittings or old fittings?

Any teflon tape used on the threads?

Dissimilar metals, as in copper to steel connections?

PVC ?

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:24 am »
Usually where the drain goes into the wall that nut that tightens onto the wall drain has a beveled nylon washer that stops any leaks(perhaps the washer is on backwards).
The drain pipe that comes from the bottom of the sink also has a big rubber washer that only goes on one way.
One side is flat the other is kind of round.I believe the rounded side should face the sink(basin).
Also there should be a flat washer which will go on the flatside of that rubber washer and then the nut.
(that rubber washer can be quite stiff to put on).
                                                                                                                                                         Sometimes I will run a little water and look from the highest piont of the pipes to see if it's coming from somewhere above as it may look like it's leaking from the bottom,but it's actually running down the backside of the pipe.
Almost forgot,the po plug that goes thru your basin also has a cardboard washer that goes on before that pipe goes thru the basin.Three washers in total,top of basin drain,under basin and the wall drain.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:44 am »
Yes, welcome to AC, danis.

I've got to tell ya', I think AC members are some of the most thoroughly bitchin' folks I have ever had the pleasure to 'know'. Here's a fine chap who's day one - post one, and every single reply is kind and of a genuine interest to help.

Today sucked, but this thread made things way better. In my book, you all rock.  :beer:

Best of luck with the repair,

Jerry

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:45 am »
To illustrate

Normally if everything is there you don't have to tighten it like a maniac.

bunky

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:14 am »
last weekend i had minor weep's under my double kitchen sink. on the pvc piping i replaced all of the beveled nylon washer's and the nylon tail washers at the base of each drain and then i replaced the rubber washer's and zinc nuts in the chrome trap. do not overtighten the fittings just make everything snug..when you install them make sure the beveled washers point towards the chamfer in the fittings

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:14 am »
Go to your local hardware store and buy a can of RectoRseal #5 pipe thread sealant. Put a liberal coat on all the threaded connections. Works a lot better than teflon tape. I used it for many years working on hydraulic connections. If that doesn't help you may have other problems with your plumbing.

HEY!!!! Welcome to the club!!

Cheers
                                    Charlie

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:21 am »
Gasiola works good too if the threads are leaking,.if the threads are slightly damaged teflon tape works better as it conforms to knicks on the thread,s