Dutch review BDA-1, 3 out of 5 stars

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Dutch review BDA-1, 3 out of 5 stars
« on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:07 am »
And it can be found here.

In Dutch, so Google translate is your friend... :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: Dutch review BDA-1, 3 out of 5 stars
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:49 am »
Maybe it is time to start thinking about a BDA-2...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:51 am »
At the USB level I agree but as to the other observations - to each his own opinion :thumb:

James

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:55 am »
James, what would your take on a "USB DAC" be? Do you think USB at e.g. 32/192 or 32/384 makes sense? Or are other busses like Thunderbolt going to be the best way to maximize performance with direct-to-computer connections?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2012, 11:01 am »
James, what would you take on a "USB DAC" be? Do you think USB at e.g. 32/192 or 32/384 makes sense? Or are other busses like Thunderbolt going to be the best way to maximize performance with direct-to-computer connections?

Good question John. The USB to SPDIF seems to be a very popular interface so I think it is something we have to address going forward. The only concern I have at this point is I want to look into some of these other options as you suggest. For instance with HDMI the jitter numbers have been disappointing in comparison.

Thunderbolt seems to be developed for faster transfer rates which really does not apply to our music data transfer concerns - worth looking at though.

With the BDA-1 I recommend using the AES/EBU or BNC inputs over the others.

James

Sasha

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2012, 12:08 pm »
I do not find this review particularly good due to the criteria used to arrive to conclusion, it seems the entire review is focused on USB input while it is known that Bryston did not pay any special attention to USB at the time the unit was designed, it was more of an afterthought. This was clearly communicated by Bryston.
If you want to pursue USB this product is clearly not for you. I find it borderline stupid to judge BDA-1 from this perspective.
That is why I pay less and less attention to reviews in magazines unless they focus on performance in clearly defined categories substantiated by measurements.
The moment I see nonsense like this or come across words like “musicality” and “gestalt” the reading is over.

larevoj

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm »

With the BDA-1 I recommend using the AES/EBU or BNC inputs over the others.

James

Hi James, between AES/EBU and BNC which is better??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2012, 02:14 pm »
Hi James, between AES/EBU and BNC which is better??

Hi,

Some feel the BNC because it is a true 75 ohm connection. Others feel the AES/EBU because it is balanced and has twice the voltage swing of the other connections and the receiving devices seem to like that.

james

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2012, 04:05 pm »
Unfortunately it is a fact of life with digital components that they become obsolete more rapidly.  Today, the USB might seem a bit dated but was not horrible out of the norm when the DAC came out.  People seemed upset (at least some), when Bryston changed their warranty policy in 2006 for digital circuits but it really was nothing more than a reflection of reality of the marketplace.  I am more cautious when I buy expensive digital (or video) than I used to be.  Too many products used the wording 'future-proof' when they were released and it turned out not to be the case.

jaapnr1

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2012, 08:29 pm »
Allow me to clarify. I don't have the feeling I just focused on the usb-part. If I did, I should rewrite some parts... Although I find it not acceptable to implement such a low-end usb-receiver in a 2500 euro dac. By the way: Bryston bundled a second note with the dac that explains why they made the choice for this particular usb-sollution: musicality... well: a pcm2707 is not the most musical usb-receiver... certainly not when you do not properly reclock the signal.

But... aside from the usb part. Well: it sounds clean, the signals get properly converted. And yes: it has some nice features like a proper bnc-input. But the Bryston just didn't have the 'X'-factor for me. It didn't sound very involving.. not like the Classé CP800 I had a month or so before the BDP-1. Sure... the Classé is more expensive, but don't forget: the CP-800 has a very nice pre-amp as well. So, on the end of the line the CP-800 will cost just as much (or even less) than a Bryston BDP-1 with a decent pre-amp. Thats why I gave it 3 stars and not more. I think - and yes, it's subjective... aren't all reviews? - that there are better dacs out there. Some even less costly than the bdp-1.

I do not find this review particularly good due to the criteria used to arrive to conclusion, it seems the entire review is focused on USB input while it is known that Bryston did not pay any special attention to USB at the time the unit was designed, it was more of an afterthought. This was clearly communicated by Bryston.
If you want to pursue USB this product is clearly not for you. I find it borderline stupid to judge BDA-1 from this perspective.
That is why I pay less and less attention to reviews in magazines unless they focus on performance in clearly defined categories substantiated by measurements.
The moment I see nonsense like this or come across words like “musicality” and “gestalt” the reading is over.

jaapnr1

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2012, 08:34 pm »
You have a good point there... But don't forget that a modern, decent developed product can get firmware updates. That's why I like the programmable chip-sollutions (or soc) and less like the hard coded ones. It's more costly to program your own chips, but in the end the product can get updates to sail along with the progress in the digital market.

Just take a look at Sonos. They have like 4 updates a year. Every time you get more functionality. They even lowered the jitter with a firmware update... No: it's not high-end, but the high-end audio producers can learn a lot from Sonos concerning consumer-friendlyness and user friendly interfaces.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life with digital components that they become obsolete more rapidly.  Today, the USB might seem a bit dated but was not horrible out of the norm when the DAC came out.  People seemed upset (at least some), when Bryston changed their warranty policy in 2006 for digital circuits but it really was nothing more than a reflection of reality of the marketplace.  I am more cautious when I buy expensive digital (or video) than I used to be.  Too many products used the wording 'future-proof' when they were released and it turned out not to be the case.

Sasha

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:40 pm »
Allow me to clarify. I don't have the feeling I just focused on the usb-part. If I did, I should rewrite some parts... Although I find it not acceptable to implement such a low-end usb-receiver in a 2500 euro dac. By the way: Bryston bundled a second note with the dac that explains why they made the choice for this particular usb-sollution: musicality... well: a pcm2707 is not the most musical usb-receiver... certainly not when you do not properly reclock the signal.

But... aside from the usb part. Well: it sounds clean, the signals get properly converted. And yes: it has some nice features like a proper bnc-input. But the Bryston just didn't have the 'X'-factor for me. It didn't sound very involving.. not like the Classé CP800 I had a month or so before the BDP-1. Sure... the Classé is more expensive, but don't forget: the CP-800 has a very nice pre-amp as well. So, on the end of the line the CP-800 will cost just as much (or even less) than a Bryston BDP-1 with a decent pre-amp. Thats why I gave it 3 stars and not more. I think - and yes, it's subjective... aren't all reviews? - that there are better dacs out there. Some even less costly than the bdp-1.

Keep in mind that one of the almost universally praised DACs, Berkeley Alpha, does not have USB and according to the manufacturer never will (remains to be seen if they resist market forces), yet it costs what, twice as much as BDA-1?
I am yet to hear DAC that would make me replace BDA-1 in a system where DAC drives amps directly, as I am yet to hear a pre-amp with acceptable transparency.
I have not come across another DAC with such well designed and capable analog stage, let alone something cheaper.
I do not know the meaning of 'X'-factor, nor will I ever. The conclusion of the review was completely focused on USB as the reason for 3 starts, thus my reaction, I find the rating completely off the mark.
And I am by no means Bryston worshipper, I actually prefer to talk about shortcomings of components, but not in some convoluted way where one can go on driveling for hours without telling you anything in the end, what is unfortunately the norm today in majority of magazines that do reviews.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2012, 12:04 am »
At the price Bryston is asking nothing should be an afterthought.

werd

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2012, 12:34 am »
Sorry jaapnr1

The bda is not a USB dac nor was it meant to be.  The design points  to the bpd.
Whether USB is suitable for hi Rez wasn't a factor at all. There are plenty of USB dacs that give you only one input and that being USB. How much do you wanna pay for the xlr or bnc development partnered with a USB 192 capability?
How obvious do you have to make it, it doesn't play higher than red book. It's not a USB dac. If I were Bryston I would drop the USB all together to drive home the point.

You failed the review by misleading the readers into believing there was a USB intent into hi rez. Not only that,you failed to mention if or what other connects you used. Or did I miss that, I apologize if I did miss it.

You should've done your homework and talk to the manufacture before you venture down an avenue Of misinforming your readers on the playback philosophy of the BDA. It's like you bagged out on a great line stage pre  because provided  headphone amp sucks.

Wow fail review or what !!!!

Sasha

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:05 am »
It's like you bagged out on a great line stage pre  because provided  headphone amp sucks.
Excellent analogy, to the point.

Sasha

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:10 am »
At the price Bryston is asking nothing should be an afterthought.
Try to find DAC that measures and performs better at this price point.
And to use Werd's perfect parallel, is an excellent line stage bad and too expensive because its headphone output is really an afterthought, placed there as a sort of secondary feature?

PRELUDE

« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:09 am »
Jump in best buy and you can buy from hair dryer to tv and everything can be connected with USB or maybe using gold plated USB would make the review a little better. :lol:
When you are in business,you have no choice to travel in time and listen to consumer's needs.I bet if the BDA-1 did not have USB input or output it would be a down side in review also.Why????
Well,because everything else you have in your hand has USB output in today's world.
It was build to be used with BDP-1 as an integrated player.I do not have the BDA-1 at home but I heard it more the every one and the price is the best point here that makes it a good value for what it does.
Over all if you want to use USB then it cannot be high end at the first place.

MoonUnit

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:18 am »
Keep in mind that one of the almost universally praised DACs, Berkeley Alpha, does not have USB and according to the manufacturer never will (remains to be seen if they resist market forces)

Berkeley has released their USB add-on gizmo. The guy on Computer Audiophile has been gushing over it like crazy. It would work with the BDA-1 too probably.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:38 am »
Try to find DAC that measures and performs better at this price point.
And to use Werd's perfect parallel, is an excellent line stage bad and too expensive because its headphone output is really an afterthought, placed there as a sort of secondary feature?
but is Bryston, and what else do they do half assed? Either do USB right or don't bother.
I remember all the talk about the BDP and how Bryston didn't want to compromise anything so they did not add storage did not add a dac. Just seems odd to thrown in USB as an "afterthought".

No denying the BDA is a great product.