jd3

Re: What amp for your Salk Speakers?
« Reply #140 on: 4 Feb 2015, 04:05 pm »
You're sick John, you need help.   :tempted:

You and me both!!!

joegator81

« Reply #141 on: 6 Feb 2015, 12:24 am »
I've used an AVA solid state amp (can't remember which) but found it too bright and hard on top and a bit lean. I sold that and bought an NAD c270 and used it for a few years. It was a great budget amp in a most extreme sense of the word and it had a very musical sound. However, the Emerald Physics 100.2SE is what i'm using now and i really like it. I'm not going to say that it will beat anything out there at or near its price because it would be unrealistic to make such a sweeping claim but when i placed it into my system everything was just better. For the first time i didnt  feel an absolute need for a subwoofer (though i still use one very irregularly). The were smooth, much less grainy. The midrange was much more detailed and present. The low end was deeper, tighter, and more tactile. The soundstage was more dimensional and images felt more realistically spread throughout the room.

ltkije

« Reply #142 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:56 pm »
Using a Rogue Cronus Magnum with my Veracity STs. Detailed, full and with great depth and breath.  System is fed with a Mac Mini running JRiver and Spotify (tried Tidal, liked the SQ but hated the weak search capabilities and frequent drop outs - maybe will try again later) into a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC II.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #143 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:59 am »
I purchased a Parasound A51(   400 watts RMS x 5 @ 4 Ω- Circuitry designed by legendary John Curl, - Current capacity 60 amperes peak per channel   )amp, with intent to setup a Surround system. Personal conditions have changed my home conditions to a single apartment. Therefore the surround system died an I have been listening to only 2 ch of the A51 amp. I have it set up in a good dedicated room with GIK treatments and it sounds great at the volume level I can listen.

My question is do you think I should go to a dedicated 2 ch amp and preamp ?

Harrison

I recently put my A21 amp back in my reference system with my BAT VK-51se preamp to hear how it sounds compared to my Pass X250 amp.  I was disappointed.  The A21 sounded mid-fi compared to the Pass.  I think that the A21 needs an update as there are better amps in its price range now. The A21 has been around for a while with no changes. If you look at the A21's specs on paper it looks like a fantastic amp but it just does not measure up in sound quality.  I enjoyed it when I had it paired with my AVA gear but I have since retired it and gave it to my son.  I would be looking at a Vincent or Odyssey amp in the A21's price range.  Or go used and get a much better amp.

billmcc

« Reply #144 on: 19 Feb 2015, 09:02 pm »
I've been using a Boston Acoustics A7200 (Sherwood A-965 clone) to power my SongTowers. But have a set of Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 mono-block amps coming next week from a fellow AC member :). I can't wait as I've heard the SX-500s before and they are a real nice sounding very powerful amp.

Bill

sbrownnw

« Reply #145 on: 20 Feb 2015, 09:09 pm »
I just ordered some SongBirds in the dark walnut burst.  I will be driving them with Audio Refinement separates (Pre 5 / Multi 5) in a 2 channel setup.  Full system details and picture here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1308957076&view

Scott

smokey

« Reply #146 on: 22 Feb 2015, 12:37 am »
I have soundscape 8"s for almost 1 year, the amps I have now are wyred4 sound mono SX1000,has good flat soundstage but a little bright on high end, for my liking. SO I just ordered The  AVA 600R FET VALVE AMP   they now have a XLR BALANCED INPUT OPTION from what I have read about this amp things should sound great !  JIM  USES THIS AMP

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #147 on: 24 Feb 2015, 06:32 pm »
I recently put my A21 amp back in my reference system with my BAT VK-51se preamp to hear how it sounds compared to my Pass X250 amp.  I was disappointed.  The A21 sounded mid-fi compared to the Pass.  I think that the A21 needs an update as there are better amps in its price range now. The A21 has been around for a while with no changes. If you look at the A21's specs on paper it looks like a fantastic amp but it just does not measure up in sound quality.  I enjoyed it when I had it paired with my AVA gear but I have since retired it and gave it to my son.  I would be looking at a Vincent or Odyssey amp in the A21's price range.  Or go used and get a much better amp.

I respect your evaluation, since I know you have listened to a lot of amps however I do feel the comparison of the Pass X250 to the A21 is unreasonable:

PassX250:The X250 specs are impressive. Gain is a large 30 dB. Frequency response is beyond ideal, -0 dB at DC to -3dB at 100kHz. The power output is rated less than the way the amplifier appears to sound. Rated for 250 watts for two channels at 1% THD into 8 ohms

A21: Continuous power output:
        250 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, all channels driven
        400 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, all channels driven
  Total harmonic distortion:
        < 0.2 % at full power

PassX250:$6000
A21: $2495

I think if I was use to listening to the X250 I would think the A21 was mid-fi also.

fsimms

« Reply #148 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:51 pm »
Last week I got Quicksilver V4 tube monobllocks for may SoundScape 10’s.  The V4s blow away my McCormack DNA 225 and Hypex NC400s.  The SS amps sounded great with digital.  The SS amps also made my vinyl sound amazing with my Dodd tube phono preamp with Amperex Golden Globe tubes.  I thought vinyl couldn’t sound any better.  I was amazed every time I would play a record.  The V4s, however, took my system to a new level.  Digital sounds less magical, but so much more real and involving now.  Vinyl sounds much more relaxing, tangible and real, but maybe not quite as exciting.  The musicians are in the room with me. I can see exactly where they are.  I had to use Amperex Bugle Boy tubes to tame the Dodd phono preamp.  The Golden Globes were just too warm when I combined the Dodd with the V4s.  I use an Emotiva XMC-1 room correcting preamp and a iMac as the main digital source.

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #149 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:57 pm »
Last week I got Quicksilver V4 tube monobllocks for may SoundScape 10’s.  The V4s blow away my McCormack DNA 225 and Hypex NC400s.  The SS amps sounded great with digital.  The SS amps also made my vinyl sound amazing with my Dodd tube phono preamp with Amperex Golden Globe tubes.  I thought vinyl couldn’t sound any better.  I was amazed every time I would play a record.  The V4s, however, took my system to a new level.  Digital sounds less magical, but so much more real and involving now.  Vinyl sounds much more relaxing, tangible and real, but maybe not quite as exciting.  The musicians are in the room with me. I can see exactly where they are.  I had to use Amperex Bugle Boy tubes to tame the Dodd phono preamp.  The Golden Globes were just too warm when I combined the Dodd with the V4s.  I use an Emotiva XMC-1 room correcting preamp and a iMac as the main digital source.

Bob

Nice Bob. Forgot how much power the V4's were?

fsimms

« Reply #150 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:11 pm »
I bought a 3 year old V4 with JJ KT88 tubes off of EBAY.  It is supposed to put out a strong 120 watts.  New one's have KT150 tubes with upgraded trannys and put out a solid 170 watts.  A new ones would have cost me more than double the price I paid so I passed on them.  They seem to be plenty powerful enough for me.  If I didn't live in a condo then I might have a different opinion.  :lol:

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #151 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:25 am »
Wow, that's good power. I really looked hard at Quicksilvers last year.

sfox7076

« Reply #152 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:38 am »
How is the Wells doing?

Stercom

« Reply #153 on: 4 Nov 2015, 10:01 am »

Bob
Glad the V4s worked-out for you! :thumb:

johzel

« Reply #154 on: 19 Nov 2015, 05:06 pm »
My new amp arrived yesterday - a Spread Spectrum Technology Son of Ampzilla II.  I see on the Salk Sound tracker that the top coat on my speakers was just completed . . . my new Skylan stands are sitting here waiting for their new monitors.  Since the monitors are not exactly a standard pair . . . will wait for their completion and possibly Jim will introduce them??

DWG

« Reply #155 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:45 am »
Johzel,  what are your thoughts on the Son of Ampzilla? I've had my eyes on this amp for awhile.    had the original when Ronald Reagan was president.

vtvu

• Industry Participant
« Reply #156 on: 4 Jan 2016, 04:16 am »
Having paired the Wells Audio amps with Salk speakers at The Show Newport and Capital Audiofest with good results I can highly recommend the Wells Innamorata ($7000) or the Signature model ($15000).  We used the Innamorata to drive the Exoticas 3 and the SS8 at CAF.  If you are on a budget, even the Akasha ($5000) will drive the Salks beautifully.   
But don’t take my word for it.  Read what other AC members said:
At Capital Audiofest 2015:
From Woodsyi: “It really was just exquisite -- Astrud sounded so innocent and vulnerable, João exuded smoothness and Getz was "the Sound."   I felt like I was the bell that resonated and amplified the notes from the vibrating reed on Getz' tenor sax.  For a moment, I was the sax.  I felt the tingles on my skin.  It was so visceral and palpable.  Kudos to Exoticas, Wells amp, Lampizator, Dana wires and Gingko stands that got me there.    ”
Jonathon Janusz: “Finally, a Salk setup that I like!”  “Although I'm sure there would be a room somewhere at RMAF to find a home for Salk speakers, the magic in what can be heard in these show rooms is the result of an entire system.  Without all of the pieces - including the labor of getting things set up just 'so' - one can quickly end up with something less than the very best, …”
Even Jim Salk agreed when he posted: “The Lampizator DAC performed its magic, Jeff Wells Innamorata amp was its usual soulful self and Dana Cables tied everything together nicely. The system synergy was simply wonderful.”
AC member Sfox7076 posted recently: “I have Salk Exoticas.  Someone wanted to hear them with a Wells Innomorate (sic), so Vinh Vu of Gingko Audio came by with the person and the amp….. I have never heard a solid state amplifier that I have liked more. “
Also check out the show reports from Mal Kenney, David Robinson, Steve Rochlin, Scott Hull, and Kemper Holt:
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/06/29/newport-2015-lampizator-salk-sound-wells-audio-danacable-gingko-audio/
http://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/impressions-my-audio-oasis-awards-for-the-show-newport-beach-2015/
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/THE_Show_Newport_2015/Salk_Sound_Dana_Cable/
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/09/20/caf-2015-best-in-show/
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2015/Part1b.htm
You can check these AC posts and show reports for yourself but I thought I’d pull the info together in one place for you.
I highly recommend the Wells.
Vinh Vu
Gingko Audio and Danacable

sfox7076

« Reply #157 on: 8 Jan 2016, 02:20 pm »
I have to back up what I said earlier. It easily out performed every other solid state amp I have owned or auditioned.  The sound is more engaging than I ever anticipated.  I have owned or auditioned NCores, AVA, CJ, NAD, Ming Da, Job, etc.  None hold a candle to the Wells amp on my Exoticas. 

Shawn

dcurtis53

« Reply #158 on: 8 Jan 2016, 11:39 pm »
I am using the new Wells Audio Majestic integrated 150wpc with my S8's. I run it with a great sounding Salk Streamer and the superb Lampizator lite 7 dac. They are just breaking in but the sound is already full and so musical. :green:

vtvu

• Industry Participant
« Reply #159 on: 9 Jan 2016, 12:39 am »
I too am getting a Wells Majestic this week.  Can't wait until I insert in in my system: Gingko ClaraVu Mk. 3 speakers, Salk Streamer, Lampizator Big 7, and Danacables throughout.  If it sounds anywhere near the Innamorata amp, it is one of the best value in audio at $3499 retail.
Vinh Vu