magnepan's water soluable glue ?

madog99

magnepan's water soluable glue ?
« on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm »
So ordered new socks for my SMGA's this week and got a pint of the Maggie glue also . speaking to the nice lady in service she said it is the new stuff and doesn't need the extra coating of the the other stuff , ,miliaox or something . Has any one used this product ? I have read the refurb threads and the Dap contact cement is the one everybody talks about . But you would think that Magnepan would have the product that works right when you send in your speakers for refurb . It will be awhile until it arrives and the temps get warmer before I start on them but just seeing if other's have used the Maggie stuff .
thanks
John 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: magnepan's water soluable glue ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2012, 12:26 am »
Unless I'm mistaken that's what they're building the speakers with nowadays.
Sailor123 (I think he goes by) redid my old IIIAs with that product.

josh358

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2012, 12:28 am »
I wouldn't use DAP. Magnepan's current adhesives are the product of a research program to find more durable adhesives that wouldn't delaminate over the years. They were subjected to laboratory life cycle testing, and ten years after they were introduced they haven't seen a single case of delamination. Whereas DAP is just something that some forum participants have tried. Handy for a quick fix, perhaps, but who knows what it will look like ten years from now?

OldFaithful

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2012, 01:02 am »
With their new glue in really humid areas I'd like to know how it works compared to their old glue. In Minnesota, I had to take a couple of older Maggies (purchased in 79 and 97) back to the factory before the new glue was implemented. My 3.6R's are now five years old and there's no problem so far with the new glue. The MG 1's from 79 are still playing well at a friends cabin in Northern Minnesota. Not many speaker manufacturers can make that claim 32 years later.

josh358

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:12 pm »
With their new glue in really humid areas I'd like to know how it works compared to their old glue. In Minnesota, I had to take a couple of older Maggies (purchased in 79 and 97) back to the factory before the new glue was implemented. My 3.6R's are now five years old and there's no problem so far with the new glue. The MG 1's from 79 are still playing well at a friends cabin in Northern Minnesota. Not many speaker manufacturers can make that claim 32 years later.

The story as I got it from Mark Winey is that the adhesive they originally used turned out to be UV sensitive, and after about ten years, they started to see delamination problems. So they replaced it with a new adhesive that wasn't UV sensitive. Unfortunately, the new adhesive turned out to be moisture sensitive! So ten years later, they started to see delam on speakers made with that. At that point, Mark, who has an engineering degree and had just come back to the company, started a research program to find adhesives that were resistant to both UV and moisture. The new adhesives were tested at a life-cycle testing company, and passed with flying colors. Now, ten years after they started using them, they haven't seen a single case of delamination.

madog99

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2012, 09:53 pm »
Thanks for the info , guess I done good ordering that then , it was only $12 I think . Bring on the warm weather I will get at it .

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:03 pm »
Good choice!

Honestly, I think Josh's statement is dead-on, and there's more to an adhesive than whether it bonds A to B.