VMPS speaker matching

sbcgroup1

VMPS speaker matching
« on: 19 May 2004, 04:14 pm »
I am trying to put together a 7.1 VMPS system and so far this is what I have come up :

1. VMPS RM40's w/FST option in front.
2. VMPS LRC w/FST option in front center.
3. VMPS Dipole SE's on sides (no ribbons).
4. VMPS 626 SE's in rear (no ribbons).

We figured since you need to match the ribbons in the front speakers and the rear, we just went with no ribbons in the rear instead. I dunno...we are having a hard time justifying the $2000 price tag for a pair of rear ribbon FST surrounds. Will this work instead or will there be mis-matching problems?

Thanks!

-Ed
 :?:

Marbles

VMPS speaker matching
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2004, 04:38 pm »
I agree with number 1.

When I tried a 626 to match to my RM40's, I felt the one midrange panel could not keep up with the 4 per side of the 40's.  I bought a RM30 and it blends seemlessly.  If you have room for an RM30, do that instead of the LRC.

With regard to the 626's for rear surrounds, they work great.  I also like direct radiaters for side surrounds and the 626's work well in that area.  I understand that some like di-poles and that is cool.

If it were me (and it was) I would make all the speakers as similar as possible and to me, that means matching drivers.  I would recommend that you get ALL the speakers with the FST's.  If you cannot afford them all upfront, you might want to run 5.1 until you can afford the last two.  You won't be missing that much IMO.

sbcgroup1

RM30 for center channel
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2004, 05:28 pm »
Where can I find info on the RM30 and it's pricing scheme? The VMPS site doesn't have it listed. Thanks!

By the way, why are you using SVS ultras instead of the VMPS subs? I thought the New Larger Sub all tricked out sounded amazing!

Later-

-Ed

Marbles

VMPS speaker matching
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2004, 05:36 pm »
Do a search here and you will find lots of info on the RM30.

If you buy from a dealer rather than the factory, you will either get a reduced price, OR a lot of service depending on the dealer.  

I had the SVS Ultra's before I bought the VMPS speakers.  They fit better in my room than a Larger, so I have not wanted to change them out.

There are many very nice subs out now depending on your needs..i.e. more music than movies, more movies than music..size considerations etc...

Rory B.

VMPS speaker matching
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2004, 08:28 pm »
About your subs: When you hear people duking it out over which is better, the VMPS Larger or the SVS (whatever it is that they're comparing it to nowadays), what you are seeing is mostly religious zeal on the parts of the owners, as the subwoofers are so near in performance per dollar that it starts coming down to the brand name on the sub. You are not necessarily missing anything other than very, very small margins of performance difference. Perhaps the VMPS is more adapted for music with its shorter-throw drivers with lower voice coil inductance and the slot-loaded passive radiator (I already have a post on why I believe that this is not a form of bass-reflex loading but something else), and the SVS are more adapted for movies with their long-excursion drivers and large reflex ports. The difference in performance is not even worth worrying about, probably.