Out of belts for my WTA - What kind of string do I need ?

Bobbywheat

Hi,

Can someone tell me what kind of sting is needed to make our own belts. I read somewhere, I think on this forum, that the material is not nylon, but if not nylon then what? And if it is nylon what gauge (in case of fishing string what lbs)?

Thanks in advance,
bob

roscoeiii

Re: Out of belts for my WTA - What kind of string do I need ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2012, 04:38 pm »
As it states in the manual, you will want 0.004" (=0.004 wt) polyester monofilament. Can be found on Amazon and elsewhere. If possible I would get it in black. Clear is damn hard to see for tying the knot.

Bobbywheat

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2012, 03:34 pm »
Thank you very much roscoeiii, I went through my manual friday and all I found was Monofilament. Either it was not mentionned in the first manuals or I somehow missed it. Thanks again.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2012, 03:55 pm »
And I can do you one better. Here is the link I bought my thread from:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LN78DQ/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_dp_1

But I do wish I bought it in black.

doak

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2012, 09:41 pm »
And I can do you one better. Here is the link I bought my thread from:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LN78DQ/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_dp_1

But I do wish I bought it in black.

Looks like enough thread to make about 3000 belts.
Ought to last a while!  :lol:

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2012, 09:43 pm »
Well, I do seem to go through belts like crazy...

code4246

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:35 am »
How do you go through belts ?

Do they simply wear out or get lost or what ?

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2012, 01:17 pm »
They'll occasionally break on me. This has happened as I change from 33 to 45, but it has also happened as the record is spinning. Since I am working from home, the platter is spinning a lot everyday.

jsawyer09

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2012, 03:59 pm »
Hi,

Can someone tell me what kind of sting is needed to make our own belts. I read somewhere, I think on this forum, that the material is not nylon, but if not nylon then what? And if it is nylon what gauge (in case of fishing string what lbs)?

Thanks in advance,
bob

If I were you, I'd contact you WT dealer, or even ping Mike Pranka. The beautiful part of owning a WTA is that you get a lifetime of belt replacement. Just send in a SASE to your dealer (or a dealer...maybe this is where Mike could help) and voila...you'll get back replacement belts free of charge.
That's what I'd do at least...

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:03 pm »
Yes, I do that too. But nice to have a spool as backup.

TerryO

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:38 pm »
For the last three years I've been using Polyester sewing thread (Magenta!) that was presented to me by Ruth, at the Vancouver Island DIY Fest in BC. It works very well on my Amadeus prototype.

Best Regards,
TerryO

drubin

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:59 pm »
Hi -- first post in this Circle.  I've been thinking about replacing my LP-12 with a WTA.  I have to say, this topic gives me pause.  Why are the belts breaking?  This makes the table seem really tweaky, which is something I'd like to avoid. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:04 pm »
The belts are made of a very fine filament. Not too tweaky but they do occassionally break. There is a belt-for-life policy or you can buy a spool of the filament needed and make them yourself.

Overall, even with the filament belts that occasionally need replacing, this table is very simple and straightforward. Get the right level of the goop in the cup and go. I would much rather put on an occasional new belt that have to fiddle with alignment protractors and that mess.

vortrex

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:26 pm »
The belts are the worst part of this table.  I've found if you don't make the belts to the EXACT measurement the sound suffers greatly.  Also, I've had a few belts break just trying to get them on.  If you can get past this annoyance the WTA is simply awesome.

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:29 pm »
If they aren't to the exact measure, you can still adjust the speed on the back of the table. But yeah, they can be a pain to make. Thus the lifetime belt policy of dealers.

vortrex

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:31 pm »
Didn't seem to be a speed issue, the fullness of the sound was just gone.

Erocka2000

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm »
Didn't seem to be a speed issue, the fullness of the sound was just gone.

That seems odd.  Not sure how the speed could be correct, but sound different.  Have you checked the speed with the strobe disc?

vortrex

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2012, 05:22 pm »
That seems odd.  Not sure how the speed could be correct, but sound different.  Have you checked the speed with the strobe disc?

I did not test it, because it sounded so bad, but yes I do have a strobe and light.  I did not hear anything wrong with the pitch, so I assumed it was not a speed issue.  anyway, sounded bad enough to just make another belt that was slightly tighter and all was better.

SteevA

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:17 pm »
Remember the belt plays a part in holding the spindle firmly into the angle of the top bearing.  It could be surmised that too loose a belt would let the spindle wander and chatter a bit and if this happened I would not be surprised if the sound deteriorated.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm »
Yes. It's all about the belt. Any time you change a belt, or add the DPS, always use included strobe disc and check speed.  Most of you know the adjustment doohickey is on the back of the plinth, towards the left side. Use your small flat head screwdriver or device to rotate speed while viewing under incandescent bulb. If I can do it anyone can.