Looking for a real deal on a small woofer?

Æ

Looking for a real deal on a small woofer?
« on: 15 Apr 2012, 02:50 am »
I’ve been searching for some decent yet affordable 5 1/4 inch woofers (midbass drivers). Someone at another forum steered me to MCM Electronics. Their “Audio Select” line of woofers is really worth looking at. I’m not overly fond of aluminum cones, but Zaph measured some aluminum coned woofers from MCM and rated them rather highly.

So anyway, I found what I was looking for, the 55-2669 is a very rugged and very well built woofer. The cast frame is exceptionally thick and solid. With a huge magnet these babies weigh over three pounds each. A vented pole piece, long throw overhung voice coil, venting above and below the spider. The cone and dust cap are accurately centered and all the glue lines are neat. Plus the measured specs agree closely with the manufacturers listed specs. I got them on sale, bought eight of them for $15.29 each with free shipping too!

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2669-/55-2669

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2012, 06:26 am by Æ »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Looking for a deal on small woofers?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2012, 03:46 am »
I can't find a FR curve on these anywhere.  With the Al cone and cast frame, your savings may disappear when you start trying to smooth a response with a crossover.  However, I have used MCM 5" stuff before and was able to make it work smoothly in mmtmm designs with basically a second order crossever.  Although they were supposed to reach around 60Hz, they sounded more like 75Hz.

Æ

Re: Looking for a deal on small woofers?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2012, 05:13 am »
I can't find a FR curve on these anywhere.  With the Al cone and cast frame, your savings may disappear when you start trying to smooth a response with a crossover.  However, I have used MCM 5" stuff before and was able to make it work smoothly in mmtmm designs with basically a second order crossever.  Although they were supposed to reach around 60Hz, they sounded more like 75Hz.

Yes, I've used several different MCM drivers in the past and was not always completely satisfied with all of them either. But I have it on good word that these woofers are indeed worthy, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

Anyway, you have my pics and my testimony.

You didn't look long enough or hard enough.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Spec%20Sheets/55-2669.pdf

There is some NHT (Peerless) surplus out there that is very good and affordable. I also was looking at a particular small woofer over at Electronic Goldmine, it appears to be quite capable too.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2012, 06:28 am by Æ »