what i discovered about eclassical.com

bakufu

what i discovered about eclassical.com
« on: 8 Apr 2012, 12:18 am »
a few months ago i made several purchases from eclassical.com:  all the volumes so far of sorabji's transcendental etudes, some sibelius, &c. 

today, i returned to the site to buy a few albums in BIS's ongoing geirr tveitt project.

what i didn't realize was this:  eclassical keeps a permanent record of one's purchases, permitting one to re-download past purchases.  in effect, eclassical is providing a free online backup for all the music you buy from them.

now, i think consumers are reluctant to go the diskless route because they believe (correctly) that electronic media are evanescent.  lose your only hard-drive, lose your collection.  spend lots of $ buying flakey backup drives.  spend lots of time keeping your backups up to date.  (and just try using carbonite to back up two terabytes of music.)

i realize that i'm preaching to the converted, but let me enumerate the advantages as i see them, at least as embodied in the design and implementation of eclassical:

1. effectively, an online backup  which allows you to re-download what you've purchased.
2. a "golden copy" of the recording, not susceptible to errors or defects in the particular plastic disk you buy.
3. much lower pricing (i'm used to paying 20 bucks + tax for BIS cds.)
4. no reliance on flakey corrupt databases like gracenotes.
5. no googling for cover-art.
6. liner notes even near-sighted guys like me can read.
7. dislike what you've purchased?  eclassical offers a full refund, no questions asked.

what have i missed?

Note:  i am not connected with eclassical, BIS records, or the recording industry.  i've been fan of BIS records for decades -- for the quality of their recordings, and for the continuing education they provide in the obscure byways of modern classical music. 

Aleg

Re: what i discovered about eclassical.com
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2012, 06:00 am »
This is the experience I have with all larger webshops, like Qobuz.com and Theclassicalshop.net

-
aleg

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2012, 05:48 pm »
This is a new one to me. I have bought from Hdtracks before, but eclassical seems interesting.

How fast is the download transfer rate?

jjc1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2012, 05:57 pm »
HD Tracks also keeps a record of your purchases. If you need to re-download, drop them an e mail and they will send the fle to you. I have done this a couple of times.