C&C tripod for FF DSLR?

low.pfile

C&C tripod for FF DSLR?
« on: 7 Apr 2012, 06:54 am »
DYGATA....Did you get all the acronyms?

Cheap And Cheerful Tripod for Full Frame DSLR. I rarely use a tripod. but when I do I want it to work. I have a D700 camera and am playing with some nature/ landscape shots. Does anyone have experience with not dropping $900+ on legs, bracket, and head for this infrequent use?

I seem to lean toward the Really Right Stuff Head and Manfrotto legs. But Feisol legs looks pretty good bang for the buck.

Yeah, I have a tripod. Circa 1983—circa High School. It's a Slik 212-U ! But the pan-tilt head kills me...I want a ball head. and $500 range total would be more tolerable. so Carbon Fiber is not required.

The heaviest lens I have currently is a 24-70 f2.8, but there's a chance I'd rent a 70-200 etc.

low.pfile

Re: C&C tripod for FF DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:24 am »
Nevermind!

C&C does not apply anymore.

I just ordered a Markins Q10 ball head and L Bracket. I am meeting someone local this week on used/like new Gitzo tripod legs.  Total around $1k. Not cheap and cheerful.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2012, 04:06 pm »
Well-designed and built hardware always makes it less frustrating to work.  Plus, imagine how bad you'd feel if you stuck your expensive DSLR on some flimsy tripod and it fell over.  That's just what happened to our Canon at work.  The photographers were using this pathetic little paperweight tripod and eventually somebody manged to knock it over, shearing the lens clean off.  Whoops.

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:13 pm »
...well designed, well-built for sure. Just got all the bits and set it up for the first time. It's sweet!

used/exc. cond. Gitzo 2542L legs with new Markins Q10 ballhead and Markins L bracket.

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:18 pm »
The joy of using a Gitzo will remain long after the pain of paying for it is a distant memory. I've used my Gitzo workhorse for 20 years and the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace the fiber washers in the legs.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2012, 03:10 pm »
I like the War Of The Worlds shot.  The aliens have come…to destroy those who made bogus no-tripod photography ordinances in public spaces!

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:12 pm »
Yeah, I have a tripod. It's a Slik 212-U ! But the pan-tilt head kills me...I want a ball head. and $500 range total would be more tolerable.

I have a SLIK U212 too two to! Ok, I'm nowhere near being a professional photographer, but I think it's a really good tripod especially for the money. Heck, I got it in nearly new, very excellent condition for $15. SLIK has all kinds of accessories, I'd bet you could change the head etc.

I needed a sturdier tripod for my telescope, so I made one out of steel. More of a pier mount than a tripod, but about three times heavier.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2012, 07:51 pm »
What do you think of this one for "Cheap And Cheerful Tripod for Full Frame DSLR"?

http://www.adorama.com/DOZX600B300.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflAID021866

Would you grab it, or get something better? If better, what features do I want to be better?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2012, 08:48 pm »
BUMP - any opinions on this tripod?

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2012, 09:41 pm »
BUMP - any opinions on this tripod?

I would NOT buy a carbon tripod at these price points.  One cannot make cheap and sturdy carbon tripods.  I have tried some.  The real bargain in tripod land is the non-Carbon Dolica 62," which is even lighter than the carbon version.

http://www.adorama.com/DOAX620B100.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflAID021866

For both versions, you would want to chuck the included ballhead anyway and get something better.  Done so, the whole setup will supports a lot more weight than the spec says.  I have the alum Dolica, which supports my full frame camera with 70-200 no problem.  Heck, Ken Rockwell uses the alum Dolica  (for whatever it's worth).