Veneered MDF

Arctos

Veneered MDF
« on: 5 Feb 2003, 12:55 am »
Greetings,
As I was on one of my weekly trips to the hardware store (Menards) I came across panels of 3/4" MDF that were veneered on both sides with either birch or oak.  It looked very nice and could be purchased in various sizes.

Has anyone used such a product for speaker cabinets?  It seems that it would make the job easier since it already has a veneer.  I am wondering how it would work and if there is anything I need to be aware of when constructing cabinets from this material.

Regards,

RDS

Brandon B

Veneered MDF
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2003, 02:07 am »
Just means you'd either need to miter your corners, or do solid wood corners or something.  Option B is probably better,  both from the standpoint of having it come out nice,  as well as not having sharp corners on your baffles.

Also make sure it's decent MDF to begin with.

BB

massappeal85

Veneered MDF
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2003, 02:30 am »
http://home.nc.rr.com/fowlerspace/

This guy seems to think its alright.

beat

Veneered MDF
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2003, 03:40 am »
I just finished mine in 3/4 in mdf core birdseye maple. Turned out good. you have to use a nice sharp blade when mitering the corners to a 45degree angle. Everything has to be exact. I then dadoed out the front and back panel area leaving a 1/4 inch lip around the perimeter and glued the panels in leaving an 1/8 inch just for aesthetics. I'll go snap a picture of the finished product and post it in a little while. I finished them in danish oil.

Arctos

Veneered MDF
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2003, 04:00 am »
Thanks guys,
Beat, I will look forward to the photo.  I have used Danish oil on another project with great results.

I am seriously considering using the veneered MDF for the sides and back, using regular MDF for the top and bottom, and using a solid piece of 3/4" hardwood for the baffle.  If I join them correctly I could add a solid piece over the top and bottom pieces to cover the edges.  Dave Ellis uses a solid hardwood baffle with great result on his 1801 speakers.

Regards,

RDS

gonefishin

Veneered MDF
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2003, 04:02 am »
The veneered mdf can turn out nice...but like other have said...you have to have a nice mitered corner or go with wood corners.  Going with wood corners is what I did.  I have 3/4" of hdf...then 3/4 veneered mdf...in each corner I used a piece of 3/4" square stock running the length.  You can then leave it square or route the corners off...BUT...you will most likely have some sanding to do on the wood square stock...to get it to match up to the mdf...DO be very careful when using a machine sander (especially when using a belt sander) you can go thru the veneer easily if your not paying attention.

below is a pic of the corners I've got on my cabinets...granted I still have alot of work to do on them...which includes routing the corners.

take care>>>>>

beat

Veneered MDF
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2003, 04:13 pm »
dang I cant figure out how to post this pic!! frustrated

PeteG

Veneered MDF
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2003, 05:26 am »
You can just pick up some good MDF I found there are differences (I like plum creek) and veneer it yourself. I just finished my MTM speakers, using 3/4" mdf,1 1/2" baffle with cherry veneer with a coat of tung oil & 4 coats of varnish I'm very happy with it.

-Pete

Ferdi

Veneered MDF
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2003, 09:37 am »
HI PeteG, those are some nice-looking speakers! AV1+?

PeteG

Veneered MDF
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2003, 12:14 pm »
Ferdi
  No there not AV1+, I should have a short review some time today.

-Pete