Review of REGA's RP6, we've got it first

TONEPUB

Review of REGA's RP6, we've got it first
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:04 pm »
For those interested in Rega's new RP6 turntable, here's the full review...

http://tinyurl.com/873597j

And, we've got an all analog issue coming out over the weekend!  (and the next
issue will be all analog as well...)

WC

Re: Review of REGA's RP6, we've got it first
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:56 pm »
I guess if you were going to buy the TTPSU at the same time as the getting an RP3, is the upgrade worth a $200 difference in cost between the models?

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:16 pm »
I think so, definitely.  When we compared the two, side by side there was a pretty noticeable jump.  Definitely worth $200 in my opinion...

2gumby2

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:44 pm »
I'm glad to see a review on the RP6. As I shop around for turntables in this price range, this one seems to be a very nice. I've also been considering the Mapleshade Stanton ST-150 with Stage II modifications. I've never owned a belt drive before so in some ways I feel more comfortable with the Mapleshade Stanton, but I have an open mind and the RP6 has me interested.

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm »
Awesome.  Definitely looking forward to reading the new issues.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2012, 05:33 pm »
I'm glad to see a review on the RP6. As I shop around for turntables in this price range, this one seems to be a very nice. I've also been considering the Mapleshade Stanton ST-150 with Stage II modifications. I've never owned a belt drive before so in some ways I feel more comfortable with the Mapleshade Stanton, but I have an open mind and the RP6 has me interested.

The tonearm on the Stanton is a POS....IMHO. Certainly not anywhere near the quality and performance of a Technics SL1200MKII.

If you are going to replace the Technics, you will be going backwards....IMHO.

Also, the torque rating on the Stanton motor is B.S.

Wayner

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2012, 05:58 pm »
I suggest giving an RP6 a listen at a Rega dealer, or if that's not convenient, try Music Direct or Needle Doctor, they both have a great return policy.

You won't know if you love it or hate it until you get it in your system.

2gumby2

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:06 pm »
WayneR - Thanks for the input. I trust your judgement. The published torque ratings are pretty impressive and I didn't know that the arm was so poor on the Stanton. I'm planning to go to RMAF this year so I expect to see a good range of turntables.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:34 pm »
I'd go with Jeff's RP6 before going any other route. If you may have seen my reviews on the Stanton turntable a couple of years ago (I bought it, played it), I was initially impressed with the deck at least from online catalogs. However, when it arrived, there were some real issues with it. First was the torque rating, as I could slow down the platter with my Discwasher brush, something the Technics would hardly be bothered with. Next was the headshell/arm connection, very loose, and upon further fiddling, discovered the rest of the arm assembly was poor, with loose horizontal bearings, and a feel of inferior design and build. I then had a hum problem, even with the AT440MLa. The built in preamp is useless for me, as is the USB port, and the controls section on the lower right hand side seemed to also have an engulfing magnetic field that was causing cartridge hum, probably from a step-down transformer. I also remember the die-cast platter as being very light and not having a firm seat when set on the spindle, there were even grind marks from the manufacturing process.

What's more incredible, is this is the base for the Denon 100th anniversary table that was listed at $2500 (now $1500), price reduction due to poor sales (I assume).

I just couldn't recommend this table to anyone, not even a newbie. For a few dollars more, you can score a nice new REGA or used Technics and be way happier.

Jeff's review of the Rega RP6 sure looks like this would be a fine table for almost anyone, except for the highend rollers.

The Denon DP-A100:

AT240LP-USB with same disease:

Wayner

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:00 pm »
Wayner,
Do you think the Rega rp6 could use a Longhorn Grado?

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:25 pm »
I'm gonna say for now I don't know. The new motor is 24v and if the power supply is remote, there may be no problems. Anybody put a Grado on this table or the RP1 or RP3?

TONEPUB, is the motor AC or DC???? If AC, there could be a problem. Is the motor a synchronous type?

Wayner

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2012, 12:51 am »
WayneR - I don't recall seeing your review on the Stanton, but I'm glad to see your overview here. I've seen the Stanton advertised as a step up from the Technics, but it's obviously just marketing hype. I'm not sure why Mapleshade would use the Stanton as the foundation of their high-end turntable mods since it is such a low quality piece.

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm »
Though I really like Grado cartridges (and use the Statement 1 as one of my references) I've never achieved great synergy with on on any of the Rega tables.  I'd suggest something else.  I've had much better luck with dynavector, ortofon and lyra.  Even the Denon 103 isn't a bad match with the Rega arms.

Trover

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2012, 02:25 pm »
I'm gonna say for now I don't know. The new motor is 24v and if the power supply is remote, there may be no problems. Anybody put a Grado on this table or the RP1 or RP3?

TONEPUB, is the motor AC or DC???? If AC, there could be a problem. Is the motor a synchronous type?

Wayner

I've used Grado on Rega with the TTPSU. The unshielded Grado cartridge does seem to pick up hum from the motor, since it hums a bit at start of record and gradually increases in level towards the end as the cartridge gets closer to the motor. Of course this will vary by the phono stage, installation, listening level and user. Some say the hum is negligable, others find it intolerable. Personally I would not recommend Grado on Rega, Garage-A-Records actually used to have a statement on their website in the Grado section "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR REGA TURNTABLES".

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2012, 03:51 pm »
The Rega Motor is an AC type...