About $1K - tell me how to spend it.

funkmonkey

About $1K - tell me how to spend it.
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:27 pm »
So, I've finally realized that I should spend a little money to get a nice full sized headphone rig together.  Turns out that most of my listening has been through my Yuin PK2s (via iPod) lately.  I really like the PK2s, and in spite of owning a pair of qJAYS, I find myself liking the Yuins much better.  I am not sure if it is the open-ness of them (though I suspect that is it) or the sound signature, or what.  In general I like a neutral sound, a touch of warmth is okay as is a slight smile, but don't want to stray too far from neutral.  Budget is about a grand for the whole deal... I have a couple of ideas in mind, but want to see what you guys suggest first.  Source will be FLAC from my computer, or lossless via iPod...  Portable is not a high priority but would be a perk.  So I guess for the $1K I am looking for a great set of phones and an amp, a DAC is probably in order and could be a combo unit with amp or separate, and something to add a little crossfade would be great as well.   Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
Cheers
-Greg

Bear

Re: About $1K - tell me how to spend it.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:34 pm »
I am no expert on anything, and don't have enough experience to suggest anything, However,  I do have the o2 headphone amp by this gentleman...it has compared favorably to benchmark's DAC1 headphone amp.  He is currently in the final design stages of a dac.  Very inexpensive and objective in his design philosophy IMHO.  You can check it out:

www.nwavguy.com

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:41 pm »
Have a read around here www.headfonia.com then go and have a listen to a few setups, only your ears will tell you what you like best.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:51 pm »
If you like an open sound, you may like what I settled on for around $1000, buying used:

HiFiMan HE-5LE orthodynamic headphones (and the HE-500 or HE-4 would also be great options in their line, with both also being a bit easier to drive IIRC).

Little Dot Mk VI balanced tube amp. Plenty of power for the HE-5LEs (which do need power). Alternatives to the Little Dot VI would be some of the Schiit amps (Asgard or Lyr ,and their new $750 amp coming out soon may be out of your price range but it looks KILLER). Other folks have had good luck running HiFiMan headphones off of amps like the Virtue amps, with a speaker to balanced headphone adaptor.

These are fabulous headphones, but as I mentioned above, this rec would be more for stationary use. And since they are open-backed they wouldn't be great for a loud environments or where you don't want any sound leakage from what you are listening to. 

Mightyburner

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2012, 04:59 pm »
For my ipod I use an iPure 20 dac/dock ($100) connected to a Nuforce Icon HDP amp ($450) which can be used with a computer via its USB input.  That would leave you with $450 for cans and there are plenty of choices.  If you're using this at home, I'd go with open cans.  I use Ultrasone Edition 8's because I need closed cans at work but they are over your budget.  You'll still need innerconnects but you can picks up some Zu Audio stuff on auction at Ebay.  Good Luck. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2012, 07:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions so far, and for the links...  Headfonia looks pretty cool, and new to me.

The HiFiMan HE-500 are (and have been) very high on my list.
The Dennon AHD-5000 are also at the top.  I haven't had a chance to hear either yet but they are the top two phones that I've been considering.  One open, one closed...  I think open is more my speed, and Yes these will be primarily used at home while others are asleep.  Deep and tight bass is important to me and I think either of those would fit the bill (perhaps mod-ing the Denons).

Also Shiit sounds interesting, I like their credo.
I've heard about the Little dot, but haven't read much (yet), thanks for that tip.
...and I will see what the nwavguy has to offer as well.
need to read up on the NuForce as well.

Again, thanks for your responses, this is a big help.
Cheers

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2012, 07:12 pm »
To my ears, the HE-500, HE-5LE and HE-6s are all very close in sound. I had to get mighty picky to find much difference in the sound of them when I had a chance to compare them at a local meet-up. Maybe not the ideal environment for discriminating listening. But doubt you would go wrong with any of them (assuming you give 'em the power they need, which they do differ on). And sure you'd be happy with the HE-4s as well, based on the limited reviews I have read. Check Head-Fi on the Little Dot amps. The Mk VI is stunning to my ears with HiFiMan orthos.

milford3

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:03 pm »
Some really great suggestions ...
At this price point you have to make a decision to either go for a dac or do that at a later oint with additional budget ...

For a very high end experience ... I'd highly recommend you go for Hifiman 801 (even used) with in ear monitors and call it a day ... (there are too many good choice for in ear monitors to go over here)
http://head-direct.com/

Second option would be that you stay with iPod as a source and get a line-out cable into an external amp ... there are some excellent options including a portable amp from
www.nwavguy.com and still gives you a great budget to play with for your headphones - full ear / closed or iems ...

Third option would be do something else - that may or many not include an external DAC etc.

I'd say spend the $1000 in such a way that would not have to upgrade at least one of those components later - in other words at least get one item - source / amp or headphone that is or would be on your wish list or performs at and above its level ...

Buying used can give you more bang for your buck and I have had generally great experience with used stuff on head-fi or over here or on 'gon ...

Good Luck

santacore

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:02 am »
I second the vote for the HiFiMan HM-801 or cheaper HM-602. Both are great units in their own way and will give you high quality sound from redbook CD's and hi res. downloads. Pair one of those with a great set of earphones and you will have great sound. In ear monitors would probably be best, but I have friends that use the HiFiMan with full size phones and love it.

When I listen to my HM-801 and my Westone ES5's, I don't want for anything. It's a different experience the full size phones or a speaker rig, but no less enjoyable. Good stuff!!!

funkmonkey

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:14 pm »
more good suggestions, thanks.

I had a chance to hear the DT-990's at a head-fi meet a few years back and liked them quite a bit...  the room was a little too loud to get a true slice of their sound but I did like what I heard, way more than I expected.

I'm not sure I want to invest in another player, as good as the HM-801 is, I'm looking for more of a desktop system.  I've considered getting a Squeeze box touch, amp and phones, but the fact of the matter is that I will never be more than a long cord length away from either my main rig and/or my computer, so even the Touch would be a little redundant.

...some of the Schiit amps (Asgard or Lyr ,and their new $750 amp coming out soon may be out of your price range but it looks KILLER).

do you have a link you could share to info about the new Shiit?

Cheers

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:42 pm »
Note that the new Schiit linked below is BALANCED ONLY output. Not possible to use XLR to RCA adaptors for unbalanced headphones.

Product page:
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=10

FAQs:

http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-mjolnir/

funkmonkey

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2012, 04:15 pm »
^^^Thanks  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2012, 05:02 pm »
I use HE-5LE's with a Schitt amp, I use an Asgard but wouldn't recommend it only because its not really powerful enough. I have tube DAC I use that has some volume control so I get some extra gain there but would get a Schiit Lyr if doing over. Get the Lyr with the GE tube option its a great combo.

You have a ton of options my friend, I personally have never heard anything better than the HE series, the Audeze stuff may sound better but costs more. You can pick up used HE-s' for 4-500 bucks and have enough for a nice amp and cables or a budget DAC....there are some fine DAC's that don't cost an arm and a leg. Enjoy!!!!! Ortho's are special, blew me away-smile everytime I wear them. :icon_lol:

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:14 pm »
I second the headfonics site as well as headfonia.com:http://www.headfonia.com/. Just checking out the reviews of various products will lead you to lots of review sites. Right now, as I write this, I'm listening to a pair of Brainwavz M3s that I just got from USPS not 5 minutes ago. Fantastic sounding IEMs that come close to sounding like over the ear headphones. Their B2s are considered a grail of sorts but good luck trying to find a pair.

If you're into over the ear cans, Brainwavz also makes some well reviewed ones that won't go over $150 but I can't attest to them as I already have some Shure SRH-940s (which they've been compared to) that make me smile as I play them through my Centrance DACmini.

My budget is nowhere as nice as yours so I've settled on a Fiio E17 DAC/AMP that I should be getting next week. The February allotment for N. America sold out in 7 hours since the reviews came in. March's allotment is gone as well but for this month there are some US sites you can check out at Fiios site, if you're interested.

I'm new to this side of audio but am loving it now that I'm breaking in the H3s.
Good luck in your search.