aiaiai TMA-1

navi

aiaiai TMA-1
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:17 am »
Has anyone else got these headphones? Wife bought me these for my birthday a few days ago - i'm finding them very rolled off (?) at the top- everything is sounding muffled with the pads that really push against the ear causing me to get really sweaty. Listening to them without the pads sounds better but slightly thin.

Is it just me?

Douger

Re: aiaiai TMA-1
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2012, 12:36 pm »
You have a nice system, and your ears are probably good. That brand does not seem to be very well-known, and their quality is hard to assess on paper like this.
However, they are a gift from your wife! Probably not a good idea to criticize... Perhaps someday it may be possible to see about some
inexpensive Grado's or Sennheisers. :)

Douger

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm »
I must admit that I had not heard of this brand at all. After I posted above I looked at their website and found they are much more expensive than I guessed. Perhaps they need breakin. Is the headband able to be gently spread out a little to relieve some of the pressure? Good luck, they probably have good potential... Let us know.

navi

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:24 pm »
You have a nice system, and your ears are probably good. That brand does not seem to be very well-known, and their quality is hard to assess on paper like this.
However, they are a gift from your wife! Probably not a good idea to criticize... Perhaps someday it may be possible to see about some
inexpensive Grado's or Sennheisers. :)

I can say anything about my wife's purchase as she doesn't do nerd forums like myself.

navi

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:28 pm »
I must admit that I had not heard of this brand at all. After I posted above I looked at their website and found they are much more expensive than I guessed. Perhaps they need breakin. Is the headband able to be gently spread out a little to relieve some of the pressure? Good luck, they probably have good potential... Let us know.

I will get a decent headphone amp and run it in for a few more weeks. Will let you know.

Douger

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:47 pm »
It turns out that there is a lot of buzz about these on headfi.org... They should improve with time, and if you received leather pads along
with your foam pads, they are more comfortable and sound better.
These are aimed at the DJ market as well as audiophiles. I primarily pay attention to Grado, Denon and Hifiman so I missed these.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2012, 06:02 pm »
Actually the Aiaiai line is well known, they are dark sounding headphones. What you experience is their out of the box sound. Have you tried Equing? they benefit greatly.

navi

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:21 pm »
It turns out that there is a lot of buzz about these on headfi.org... They should improve with time, and if you received leather pads along
with your foam pads, they are more comfortable and sound better.
These are aimed at the DJ market as well as audiophiles. I primarily pay attention to Grado, Denon and Hifiman so I missed these.

Don't know which is which the leather and pleather - but the wrinkly one is easy on the ears.