Thinking of adding a sub with Zu Superflys

trackball02

Thinking of adding a sub with Zu Superflys
« on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:17 pm »
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I'm looking for something relatively compact, room size about 15x20x9. I listen mostly to music.

TrungT

Re: Thinking of adding a sub with Zu Superflys
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:25 pm »
Rythmik sub matching well with the Superfly and add the bottom end nicely.
 :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:37 pm »
For mostly music listening, I'd recommend something by REL. Uncanny how well they can integrate via speaker level connections.

trackball02

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:51 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into both. Do you have specific model numbers for either the REL or Rythmiks that you like?

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:02 pm »
I went with a used REL in the ST line (Stadium, Strata, Storm, etc). And I love it. Mine is a Storm III.

I would stay away from the REL T series with the Square Metal around each side (like the T1). These show up with the sub cabinet broken away from the metal squares somewhat frequently and REL abandoned this design in the most recent T5, T7 and T9. 

Otherwise, I'd go with the size that works best in your room and the frequency extension that you are looking for.

MusicDirect sells REL subs, and they have their great 30 day return policy. Might want to give them a call to get their advice on the current line, if you are thinking of buying new. Or find a local REL dealer.

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:27 pm »
I'm going with an Epik Legend short term, but I plan on making the change to a Rhythmik F12G.
I'm pretty happy with the bass tone of the Superlflys but would like a little more impact for some types of music.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm »
I use a swarm sub setup with my Superflys.  I've had various speaker/sub combos in this room for over 15 years and I now get the best bass definition and slam I've ever had. 

My swarm has six subs plus the Superflys running full range.  Two homebrew "endtable" sealed subs with 15" Avalanche drivers on either side of the listening couch. Four 8" passive sealed Velodynes, placed midway on left, front, and right walls.  The right wall has two Vels, one on the floor the other near the ceiling on a sturdy book/record shelf.  I use a Behringer analog electronic XO and  analog parametric EQ for tuning and a Carvin digital amp to drive all six subs.

Although the setup seems over the top, the boxes blend into the room fairly inconspicuously.  This is the only way I've found to get "big space" bass impact in a room this size.

trackball02

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm »
Russtafarian, sounds over the top and really cool. How big is your room? Did you have any problems in matching the Superfly drivers and the sub drivers? Or, is this a non issue?