A funny rant about vinyl snobs

orthobiz

A funny rant about vinyl snobs
« on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:34 am »
Of course I disagree with the blogger's feelings about vinyl, but I did get a chuckle about his viewpoint...

http://www.yellmagazine.com/vinyl-snobs-bane-modern-mans-existence/1975/

Paul

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
Re: A funny rant about vinyl snobs
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2012, 12:40 pm »
hahahaha.  Dude's turntable looks like a suitcase.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2012, 02:05 pm »
OK, I have see this happen all the time here.  In the early 90 years several owners of used record stores of my country, wanting to valorize their stock of LPs, began spreading rumors that the sound of vinyl is better than CD.
Stupid pop music TV programs liked(pay merchandising) the idea and the rumors rose.
Result: there is now a legend and a haze of disbelief in the public about vinyl, who continue to buy CDs and even more DVDs, and ignores LPs and blu-ray. The factory new LPs continue does not existing here, since the ending 1980 years.

These two kinds of people for commercial reasons, are unwilling to understand that LPs and CDs can not be compared because they have nothing in common, only differences.

I have asked to several of these vinyl fans, how many LPs you have at home?? the answer is none or few.
Another question that these false audiophiles do not stand is: How much does it cost your record player? Usually the record player they use are the lower cost possible and has decades of ''loyal'' existence.
Summarizing, these people just like to pose as special ears or experts.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2012, 02:21 pm »
First, the TT in the photo is a Technics SL1200MKII, and is a direct drive.

Second, I have over 4,000 LPs and vinyl is pretty much all I listen too, and both vinyl and CDs can sound extraordinary. They also can sound ordinary.

If Europe is so vinyl shy, why are so many records (new) being released over there?

Wayner.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2012, 02:56 pm »
What's hilarious is the dude has one comment from 9 months ago, so no one but us is reading it.  And two, the link below the blog is to an article of his entitled "The CD is Dead".  I guess a dozen monkeys typing for X years can come up with something. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:07 pm »
At the end of the article he is touting his mp3 collection . . . enough said.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:11 pm »
  I guess a dozen monkeys typing for X years can come up with something.

Usually, it's a blog. Sometimes it's a "letter to the editor" but usually, it's a blog...

D.D. 

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:21 pm »
Rather than beat a dead horse or ignite a firestorm, I posted that link because it provides insight into an individual "layperson's" viewpoint. Sometimes we can come off as snobs, and I found it funny that he would consider buying a turntable to listen to a couple of Love albums. Wasn't trying to make the point that vinyl is better/worse than another format, we've argued that ad nauseum.

Although, there's tons and tons of vinyl that is NOT on CD or MP3...

Paul

jawaka

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:26 pm »
And the first 2 (great!) albums by Love have been released on cd in 2001 and 2002.
I just hope he is just as proud of his MP3 collection as i'm with my LP records. :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:41 pm »
Rather than beat a dead horse or ignite a firestorm, I posted that link because it provides insight into an individual "layperson's" viewpoint. Sometimes we can come off as snobs, and I found it funny that he would consider buying a turntable to listen to a couple of Love albums. Wasn't trying to make the point that vinyl is better/worse than another format, we've argued that ad nauseum.

Although, there's tons and tons of vinyl that is NOT on CD or MP3...

Paul

I have found that the viewpoint expressed in the article is usually accompanied by "I've never listened to vinyl." In the last month or two several music loving "kids" have listened to vinyl on my system and in each case it was a jaw dropping experience for them. They were of the mp3/CD generation and had no idea anyone still listened to vinyl, much less that new music was being released on vinyl. After playing some of their favorite music (Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie), they commented that they had never heard music sound this good (they also couldn't believe someone in their 60's liked the same bands they liked  :lol: ). Paul McGowan (PS Audio) recently posted about the importance of providing the younger generation a "high-end" experience, whether it be hi rez digital or vinyl, or even CDs on a good system in order to open their eyes and ears to what is possible and hopefully draw them in.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:36 pm »
At the end of the article he is touting his mp3 collection . . . enough said.

From what is written he won't know good sound if it bit him in the ass  :scratch:

Some people are in love with vinyl. They like the smell, the tactile sensation of placing the disc onto a turntable and touching the needle to the first groove.

I don't know him but he sure knows me  :lol:

simoon

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:38 pm »
Dear Uncle Billy:

I set about reviewing the "instructions" you supplied ( which were actually a bootleg DVD of Season Three of The Sopranos ). Regardless, I found it quite informative and it certainly outlined clearly how to use your product to best effect.

I received different 'instructions' than you did. Mine were a bootleg copy of the opening scene from the Untouchables.

It seems that to be most effective, someone else has to apply the product to you. I have not got around to this yet, as it seems Robert Di Nero is otherwise engaged.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:28 pm »
I received different 'instructions' than you did. Mine were a bootleg copy of the opening scene from the Untouchables.

It seems that to be most effective, someone else has to apply the product to you. I have not got around to this yet, as it seems Robert Di Nero is otherwise engaged.

Have your people talk to his people.  :thumb:

D.D.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:11 am »
I read some where the new music format world wide situation, is a market sharing, there is a variety of formats, there will be no more a dominant format for some years.
What appears to be acceptable, better than the demise of vinyl, CD or SACD. Now vinyl is a profitable format, as there is no more royalties, and a expensive minimum price of 40/50 USD is plenty of margins to the music companies and the dealer$$.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm »
I found the rant more sad than funny.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:20 pm »
I found the rant more sad than funny.

Yes...  sad for him... :thumb:

Second to my own personal enjoyment, I absolutely love the look on a friend's face after I sit them down in the sweet spot and they hear for themselves just how much better it can sound.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:21 pm »
Ditto!  I pretend to be playing a CD, and when I lift the tonearm from a 50-year-old LP and hand them the disc, the "shock and awe" is priceless!   :lol:  I've had several friends dig out their old Pioneer TTs and get back into it.   :thumb: