Next step up from MOTU 828 mk II

jaydillyo

Next step up from MOTU 828 mk II
« on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:00 pm »
Hi.  I've recently started using a MOTU 828 mk II as my audio output device on my Mac Pro at work.  It sounds so much better than the built-in audio and the other approximately $200 devices I have lying around to use.  I can honestly say that this is my first real eye opening experience as far as DACs are concerned. 

My question is this.  What would it take to achieve a decent step up from the MOTU for headphone listening?  Would the Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 do it?  As far as budget is concerned I'd like to limit it to a total of $400. 

I'm using a pair of Grado SR80s.   I'm open to getting different headphones as well, but my total upgrade budget is $400.  I like open ear headphones at work so I can still hear whats going on in the office.

-- jaydillyo

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Next step up from MOTU 828 mk II
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:02 pm »
I use the Grant 09 DAC and I know it uses a solid state output for the headphones and the sound is just OK. The newest one you mention uses a tube output for the headphones which I would think would be much better but I haven't heard it. I'm also a Grado guy and there are alot of things you can do to them to give them better performance. I did a thread here somewhere about Grado mods.....

I currently use a Schiit Asgard SS headphone amp and it sounds really nice to me, I enjoy it. They are like $249 new and dedicated for headphones.....lots of options out there...check out head-fi and see whats hot.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2012, 08:12 pm »
I don't know what a MOTU is, but I love Grados and the 80s were the first Grados I picked up. I completely fell in love with them, and I like my 325s ALMOST as much as I like my BeyerDynamic T1s, which are over three times the price.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps cause I'm not sure what specific gear you're looking for, but today I took delivery on a Little Dot 1+ tube hybrid amp to use specifically with my Grado 80s in the bedroom and I'm blown away by this thing so far. It's made specifically for lower impedance cans like the Grado line. The build quality and early impressions of sound quality are fantastic.  An inexpensive DAC (I use an audioengine D1) into the LD amp and you're in for a real treat. If you love the Grado sound so far, I'd encourage you to stick with that line cause it's hard to find that same type of sound in other headphones. I already know for certain I'll have Grados in my house for many years to come...I love em :)

Anyway, Little Dot has a nice line of products and the customer service has been excellent. They have DACs, amps, and other tube gear that comes along with an excellent reputation. Just another option for you to consider in terms of budget conscious gear ;)

EDIT: Actually, for the 80s, the headphone amp on the Audioengine D1 DAC sounds great...I was playing around with it last night and it's really all you need for the lower end Grados. Just plug the D1 into your laptop, plug the Grados into the DAC, and you're good to go! Sounds fantastic :)

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:24 pm »
Grados are low impedence, so they take a lot of current to drive to sound nice.

The Motu may not be able to drive the grado's.
I would look for a dac/head amp, where you can find reviews that say it works well with grado's.

BTW, I'm looking for a used Motu 828, if you want to sell it.

Randy

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2012, 01:13 am »

Anyway, Little Dot has a nice line of products and the customer service has been excellent. They have DACs, amps, and other tube gear that comes along with an excellent reputation. Just another option for you to consider in terms of budget conscious gear ;)

I have Grado's and they pair really well with my 160Ds. A SS amp, smooth and energetic.

If you're short on budget, the little dot line amps are ok.