New hope for all of us Tinnitus sufferers

timind

• permanent vacation
New hope for all of us Tinnitus sufferers
« on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:45 am »
I have been noticing the effects of Tinnitus for about a year now with no hope a cure. Well look at this http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/new-hope-for-tinnitus-sufferers-7576977.html, there may be some hope. It would be fantastic if it is successful.

Russell Dawkins

Re: New hope for all of us Tinnitus sufferers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:53 am »
I notice the tariff is £4500 or $7,200USD.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:35 am »
I notice the tariff is £4500 or $7,200USD.

"...The £4,500 treatment, introduced at the Tinnitus Clinic in London last year, is currently only available to private patients.  But the trial results could pave the way to it being offered freely on the NHS..."[/b]

must be nice, living in a ciwilized country...

doug s.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:33 am »
"...The £4,500 treatment, introduced at the Tinnitus Clinic in London last year, is currently only available to private patients.  But the trial results could pave the way to it being offered freely on the NHS..."[/b]

doug s.

+1

Æ

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:13 am »
I believe that something similar to it has already been around for quite some time.

Sound Therapy on Compact Disc
Petroff Audio Technologies, Dynamic Tinnitus Mitigation 6-CD masking system (DTM-6a), 5566 Laurel Ave., Palmdale, California 93552, 661-533-4614, www.tinnitushelp.com, Cost: $139.
Mike Petroff is a prominent audio engineer and inventor. He contracted severe, bilateral tinnitus in 1996, which served as impetus to develop and refine the DTM. Currently, he is designing improvements to his DTM-6a, and working on new hearing aid technology. He has several patents and FDA clearance for the DTM- 6a. His staff answers e-mails and phone messages promptly. Service is pleasant and efficient.
This set of six CDs has met with approval from Jack Vernon, Ph.D., for masking, and from James Henry, Ph.D., for use with tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT), a therapy developed by Pawel Jastreboff, Ph.D. A Veteran’s Administration study on the effectiveness of TRT and directive counseling is underway in Portland and Iowa City. The DTM-6a is part of that study. Several VA hospitals offer the DTM-6a to their tinnitus patients.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:53 am »

I don't suffer from tinnitus but it's always been a fear.

Still, this isn't some pill or surgery that makes it go away, you have to sit and wear these headphones and listen to these tones for several hours a day, every day. Trading one set of shackles for another.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:42 pm »
I sense that the reasons for tinnitus are so varied that this new hope offered here may prove helpful for some, but not all.

My wife suffers from tinnitus....happened right after the birth of our child...so it didn't involve overly loud sounds as the cause. 

It seems to be hormonal, in her case and based on what we read - she isn't the only women to experience tinnitus after childbirth, either.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:03 pm »
I read Jastreboff's book and have used Tinnitus Retraining Therapy informally for over a year.  It has helped lower my awareness of my mild tinnitus ringing.  My informal method is having a FM radio at my desk tuned to inter-station noise and set at a very low level.  Over time this simple noise masking does make a difference.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:08 pm »
I don't suffer from tinnitus but it's always been a fear.

Still, this isn't some pill or surgery that makes it go away, you have to sit and wear these headphones and listen to these tones for several hours a day, every day. Trading one set of shackles for another.

according to the article, after 12 weeks of treatment, the patients were free from tinnitus almost a year.  it's not like they have to wear headfones a few hours a day forever.  and, even if they did, it certainly would be preferable to 24/7 experience of tinnitus...  which would you prefer?

doug s.

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:06 pm »

doug s.

I love the UK, but don't forget the average Brit pays almost 40% income tax and VAT (sales tax) is 17.5%  It's not FREE.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:40 pm »

I love the UK, but don't forget the average Brit pays almost 40% income tax and VAT (sales tax) is 17.5%  It's not FREE.

maybe you misread what i wrote - i didn't say it must be nice living in a country where stuff is free - if something is really worth having, it's not gonna be free.  i said it must be nice living in a civilized country...   :wink:

doug s.

StereoNut

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2012, 07:07 pm »
maybe you misread what i wrote - i didn't say it must be nice living in a country where stuff is free - if something is really worth having, it's not gonna be free.  i said it must be nice living in a civilized country...   :wink:

doug s.

Pass the tea and crumpets, please!  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:02 pm »
Well Doug, I'd take the headphones.. Descriptions of tinnitus at it's worst are pretty terrifying.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:51 pm »
Well Doug, I'd take the headphones.. Descriptions of tinnitus at it's worst are pretty terrifying.

can't say i am surprised you came to that conclusion - no contest!   :wink:

doug s.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2012, 01:36 am »
I believe that something similar to it has already been around for quite some time.

Sound Therapy on Compact Disc
Petroff Audio Technologies, Dynamic Tinnitus Mitigation 6-CD masking system (DTM-6a), 5566 Laurel Ave., Palmdale, California 93552, 661-533-4614, www.tinnitushelp.com, Cost: $139.
Mike Petroff is a prominent audio engineer and inventor. He contracted severe, bilateral tinnitus in 1996, which served as impetus to develop and refine the DTM. Currently, he is designing improvements to his DTM-6a, and working on new hearing aid technology. He has several patents and FDA clearance for the DTM- 6a. His staff answers e-mails and phone messages promptly. Service is pleasant and efficient.
This set of six CDs has met with approval from Jack Vernon, Ph.D., for masking, and from James Henry, Ph.D., for use with tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT), a therapy developed by Pawel Jastreboff, Ph.D. A Veteran’s Administration study on the effectiveness of TRT and directive counseling is underway in Portland and Iowa City. The DTM-6a is part of that study. Several VA hospitals offer the DTM-6a to their tinnitus patients.

VA hospitals? I'm retired AF and spent some time around jets. I'm gonna check in to this.