New review of the Tekton Lore

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: New review of the Tekton Lore
« Reply #60 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:39 pm »
my experience w/the eminence-based drivers (in zu speakers) is that they are pleasant enough, but simply do not offer me enough detail for a speaker i'd wanna use in my main system.

I agree that resolution is one area of compromise with this type of speaker.  While the level of resolution is quite good, it doesn't have the resolution that I hear on my friends' Vandersteen, Marten, Dali, Dunleavy, etc, etc. speakers. 

But for me, Zu's (at least the ones I have) are better than those other speakers in the areas of dynamics and phase coherence.  Zu's are so visceral they make other speakers sound kinda boring.  I mix live sound on a regular basis and have for over 20 years.  The Zu's recreate that live music experience by pressurizing the body as well as the ear.  And the way they unravel spatial information and phase cues in the music is down-right spooky.  With some stereo recordings I hear a 180 degree sound stage that stretches from wall to wall.  It's an addicting sound that really resonates with my "inner sense" of what music should sound like.

I'll be the first to admit that it's a different sound than what many audiophiles are used to.  Some like it, others not so much.

Russ

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #61 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:07 pm »
I agree that resolution is one area of compromise with this type of speaker.  While the level of resolution is quite good, it doesn't have the resolution that I hear on my friends' Vandersteen, Marten, Dali, Dunleavy, etc, etc. speakers. 

But for me, Zu's (at least the ones I have) are better than those other speakers in the areas of dynamics and phase coherence.  Zu's are so visceral they make other speakers sound kinda boring.  I mix live sound on a regular basis and have for over 20 years.  The Zu's recreate that live music experience by pressurizing the body as well as the ear.  And the way they unravel spatial information and phase cues in the music is down-right spooky.  With some stereo recordings I hear a 180 degree sound stage that stretches from wall to wall.  It's an addicting sound that really resonates with my "inner sense" of what music should sound like.

I'll be the first to admit that it's a different sound than what many audiophiles are used to.  Some like it, others not so much.

Russ

i definitely like the coherency and dynamics offered w/highly efficient wide range drivers.  but, i want it all, and i refuse to give up the resolution.  these, (among others) seem to do the trick:

perhaps the tekton speakers w/o the eminence-based drivers, (like the lore "s"), may also offer the resolution, while still retaining the dynamics and coherency.

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #62 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:53 pm »
I think the descriptions are of adequate resolution, made up for with awesome everything else. But... Ya gotta wonder about the Katzmeow and the Uruz with their separate, top mounted dome and ribbon tweeter respectively. Those two might be the best of the bunch. Never heard such a configuration.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #63 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:58 pm »
I think the descriptions are of adequate resolution, made up for with awesome everything else. But... Ya gotta wonder about the Katzmeow and the Uruz with their separate, top mounted dome and ribbon tweeter respectively. Those two might be the best of the bunch. Never heard such a configuration.

nope, it is the big driver i am concerned about, not the tweeters.  which is why i'd be interested in hearing the lore "s", or a similar "s" wersion of the pendragon.  katzmeow might also be a contender, as it has the woofer used in the lore "s".

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #64 on: 30 Mar 2012, 06:07 pm »
Oh it does.... Huh...

Russtafarian

« Reply #65 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:52 pm »
i definitely like the coherency and dynamics offered w/highly efficient wide range drivers.  but, i want it all, and i refuse to give up the resolution.  these, (among others) seem to do the trick:

Yup, that would do it.  Wanna trade? :D

Rclark

« Reply #66 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:14 pm »
Yeah Doug a Pendragon S might be pretty ultimate.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #67 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:27 pm »
Yup, that would do it.  Wanna trade? :D
:lol: 

you need to upgrade the pics in your gallery, and your system description, if you are using superfly's now.  :wink: 

and, fwiw, patience and careful shopping can get you something like i have.  while bi-amping is required, (tri-amping if you want subs), i got the speakers themselves for a bit less than 2/3rd's the retail price of superfly's...   8)

doug s.

Russtafarian

« Reply #68 on: 30 Mar 2012, 11:13 pm »
you need to upgrade the pics in your gallery, and your system description, if you are using superfly's now. 

Good call.  Hasn't been updated in about eight years.  :duh:

Rclark

« Reply #69 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:42 am »
Can someone please explain the application of the Pendragon's 3 tweeters? Because it's a format you never ever see.

Why not just a really supreme tweeter instead of three of those? Is it just being different for different's sake?

Because I like them, and I understand the bass is like a true full range speaker, but in resolution the Lore-S is better, according to that review, and kind of the point of the Pendragon is to be heard three blocks over.

I'm thinking I'll throw my Virtue on whatever I get next and it goes in the living room after I first buy new amps for my main rig, the maggies. And I want it to be a nice speaker. Can't do Magnepans again because they really love to be out in the room and I don't like to put speakers where they would be unhappy. That and I want to see the screen. And I want to try something different.

So, from the Tekton range I like the Lore, the Lore-S, Katzmeow (what a goofy name), Pendragon, and Uruz. I'm going to consider a lot of options but these also look really interesting. Not sure if I should be excited about the OB5.

But I like the product range and I'd like to see more professional reviews. I'd also like to see Tekton's site be a little less vague, better descriptions, and maybe some performance graphs could be nice. Again, it's that return policy that gives me a lot of confidence as probably this among the first speakers I'll try if I don't go diy. But anyway, I think somone's going to post some reviews here on these.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #70 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:14 pm »
The extra tweeters increase output to match the woofers.

Performance graphs are next to useless unless they are run in your room.  You really have to listen to speakers, which is why the home trial is so inviting. 

Rclark

« Reply #71 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:10 pm »
They're all running the same freqs huh? So those things are just meant to get stupid loud in a big space. Well I can cross those off.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #72 on: 31 Mar 2012, 07:00 pm »
They're all running the same freqs huh? So those things are just meant to get stupid loud in a big space. Well I can cross those off.
having more drivers will also mean less distortion at any given spl.  and depending on design you may (or may not) have better soundstaging.

doug s.

wisnon

« Reply #73 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:49 pm »
Nah, for me it would be the OB Sigmas. They have the to die for soundstage, according to Eric.

wisnon

« Reply #74 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:50 pm »
nope, it is the big driver i am concerned about, not the tweeters.  which is why i'd be interested in hearing the lore "s", or a similar "s" wersion of the pendragon.  katzmeow might also be a contender, as it has the woofer used in the lore "s".

doug s.

Parttimeaudiophile reviewed the Lore-S

wisnon

« Reply #75 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:56 pm »
Can someone please explain the application of the Pendragon's 3 tweeters? Because it's a format you never ever see.

Why not just a really supreme tweeter instead of three of those? Is it just being different for different's sake?

Because I like them, and I understand the bass is like a true full range speaker, but in resolution the Lore-S is better, according to that review, and kind of the point of the Pendragon is to be heard three blocks over.

I'm thinking I'll throw my Virtue on whatever I get next and it goes in the living room after I first buy new amps for my main rig, the maggies. And I want it to be a nice speaker. Can't do Magnepans again because they really love to be out in the room and I don't like to put speakers where they would be unhappy. That and I want to see the screen. And I want to try something different.

So, from the Tekton range I like the Lore, the Lore-S, Katzmeow (what a goofy name), Pendragon, and Uruz. I'm going to consider a lot of options but these also look really interesting. Not sure if I should be excited about the OB5.

But I like the product range and I'd like to see more professional reviews. I'd also like to see Tekton's site be a little less vague, better descriptions, and maybe some performance graphs could be nice. Again, it's that return policy that gives me a lot of confidence as probably this among the first speakers I'll try if I don't go diy. But anyway, I think somone's going to post some reviews here on these.
Pick up the phone and give Eric a call. He will explain it all in detail. All his design choices are for a reason.

It is not so easy to get reviews, but am happy that I had a part in getting the Mojo one done. Hopefully they follow up with the Pendragon.

I have never even herd a Tekton, but having spoken with eric and a few owners/users (GPowered and PTA) I am convinced they are the BeezNeez or the KatzMeow. LoL

Best value out there. Ridiculous, really.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #76 on: 31 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm »
Anyone know about the Tekton ORIELten?

Limited production:  500

Specsifications:  2-way (no whizzer), same cabinet dimensions as the Lore, 98 dB/w/m, 30 - 25,000 Hz, $850

Manufacturer's quote:  "stupid good for the money"

Rclark

« Reply #77 on: 31 Mar 2012, 11:26 pm »
Doug that does sound good, but in the Lore S review it's compared to the Pendragon as better sounding. I too might be interested as well in a Pendragon S if he keeps in line with the pricing. 3K would be pushing it. Probably most interested in the Lore S and Katzmeow.

I'm a ways out from next major speaker so I'll sit tight for a bit before I call him.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #78 on: 1 Apr 2012, 12:14 am »

doug s.

Parttimeaudiophile reviewed the Lore-S

i know, i read it; that is why i said:
"...i'd be interested in hearing the lore "s", or a similar "s" wersion of the pendragon.  katzmeow might also be a contender, as it has the woofer used in the lore "s"."   :wink:

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #79 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:38 am »
I agree with Doug. I use a B&C DMX 50 coaxial compression driver into an Acoustic Horn Company AH!300 cherry wood conical horn. The frequency response is very flat and, of course, very dynamic from 450 hz. through 14 kHz. Below 450 hz. I use an old JBL L-200 cabinet without any JBL components. I replaced the original LE 15B with an RCF L15P530 woofer. While I haven't measured the response of my woofer, I feel I can claim 40 hz. or better.
The crossover network was custom designed for me by Bill Woods of Acoustic Horn Company. All in all I have about as good a speaker as money can buy within the frequency description I told you about, and my total investment remains under $5K.
I know nothing about Tekton at all but I have pretty good experience with Zu. I've been to their factory where I bought my Druid MK4 speakers. Then I added a Mini-Method sub. These I sold to BBQ Bob my former neighbor. He's a former bluesman turned jazz guitarist. His real name is Don DeBacker and he's so in love with these speakers that I could never pry them from his hands. I moved up to Definition Pros which I sold here on AC in what was probably the most epic sale thread ever. From there I intended to move to the then new Def 2. Sean convinced me that, for my room, his new Presence speaker would suit me better. So I bought the Presence. But I didn't keep them. Something, and I'm not sure what, turned me toward Acoustic Horn and Bill directed me from there. When I told Sean about my intention to go to horns he told me that he started as a teen tearing down Klipsch, JBL and Altec horn systems and modifying them. The reason Zus are as dynamic as they are, the reason for their imaging and presence all can be traced back to Sean and Adam's successful attempts to bring a taste of horn superiority to bear in a more conventional cone driver system. Their main reason for doing this was overcoming size and expense issues inherent in actual horn setups.

I'm telling you all of this because Doug and I have discovered that you don't need to lay out 5 figures of hard earned cash to move into the uppermost realm of sound reproduction. I'm not a DIY person at all but I was able to see my way because of simple logic and enough experience to know who to believe. You can do that too. Prices are up a bit but I think you could still copy my speaker rig for well under $6000.

And don't let my truncated bandwidth bother you. There isn't much real music below 40 hz. and, if you're over 50 you won't be missing anything over 12 kHz.

My speakers are a virtual duplicate, performance wise, to the Oswald's Mill system many of you heard at RMAF about 3 years ago. My horns are the same one's used in Cogent Technology's incredible all horn rig which Chris Brady of Teres Turntable bought to replace his Edgarhorn system. This stuff is well beyond the boxes typically discussed by reviewers. Check it out.

The only thing I want to change is the size of my space. My room, at 15 x 22 is more than adequate but less than optimum.