FS: Magnepan 1.6QR "project" ***SOLD***

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
FS: Magnepan 1.6QR "project" ***SOLD***
« on: 25 Mar 2012, 07:05 pm »
***SOLD***

Here's a great pair of Magnepan speakers ready for you tweakers out there.  These are naked Maggies in perfect working order and I am probably going to kick myself once they are gone.

• Socks are in great condition and have been removed and cleaned - no need for you to take out all those pesky staples to get at the drivers and crossover
  • Side rails have been removed (necessary in order to remove socks), one of which split but can be glued back together if desired, I kind of like the all-black look
  • Fuse bypass has been performed, but can be reversed if need be

The stock crossover is completely intact, but also available is an upgraded crossover worth about $150 in parts for $50 more.  Switching between the two is simply a matter of swapping disconnects on the driver pushtabs which are only really accessible with the socks removed. The stock crossover can be removed and replaced with the upgraded components (I've only used them in a temporarily attached configuration for testing).

Bottom photo shows upgraded xover being tested. Components include:
- Obbligato oil-filled film signal caps
- Dayton metallized polypropylene bypass caps
- Erse SuperQ inductors

I also have the shipping boxes which are in perfect condition.  I am the original owner and I purchased them direct from my local Magnepan dealer in 2003.  Owner manual, badges, tweeter resistors, etc. are included as well as wiring diagrams from Magnepan.

Available for pickup/delivery in the Detroit area, or can ship for actual costs of shipping.  Prefer PayPal (I'll cover the fees).

In the spirit of full disclosure, when I removed the socks it looked like a little something had spilled on the very bottom edge of one speaker's membrane and dried (not sure if it happened during my ownership or came from the factory like this).  I painstakingly and gently cleaned the membrane with q-tips and distilled water. Though in the right light you can see where this was, I was reluctant to go further since everything works/sounds great (I have experience doing this kind of work having rebuilt the tweeters on a pair of MG-1 in the past).

Also in the spirit of full disclosure (again does nothing to affect performance, only impacted the sock and footers, and has been completely remedied): http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100757.msg1016889#msg1016889

« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2012, 06:13 pm by krikor »

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Re: FS: Magnepan 1.6QR "project" speakers - $750 plus ship
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2012, 02:14 am »
Just found the receipt... purchased new in 2003.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2012, 04:21 pm by krikor »

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Willing to sell without the upgraded crossover components for $750. Would also consider trade (local or at AKFest) for like-value good condition headphones, headphone amp or USB DAC.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2012, 04:23 pm by krikor »

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Bump.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Bump

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
bump, price drop.

roscoeiii

Man, at this rate I am going to end up with Maggies even though I have nowhere in my current apt that they would work.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Bump... several tire kickers, no solid deal yet.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Bump... reminder that headphones, headphone amp or USB DAC considered in trade.

raindance

I sent you a PM.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Had a few people ask about the dreaded "delamination" that afflicts some Maggies.  So here are some closeups posted in my photobucket album.

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/AudioSnoop/Magnepans/

One of the common starts of delamination is "banana-peeling" where the loop ends start to roll up. As you can see that is not occurring at all. Not sure at what point Magnepan started spraying the ends black, but that might have been done to help with this situation as well as for aesthetics.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
You're addressing "tweakers", but you've already tweaked the crossover.  I'm new to Maggie's, so forgive my ignorance:  what other tweaks are there, other than the Mye stands and the hardwood frame?  Also, are your tweak caps supposed to be the best brands/types for Maggies?
thanks

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
You're addressing "tweakers", but you've already tweaked the crossover.  I'm new to Maggie's, so forgive my ignorance:  what other tweaks are there, other than the Mye stands and the hardwood frame?  Also, are your tweak caps supposed to be the best brands/types for Maggies?
thanks

Addressing "tweakers" because the panels are naked and ready for anything one may desire trying out like different crossover components (even beyond the ones I've used), using alternate xover configs, damping the frame/driver panel, "razoring" the backside with dynamat, building new frames, rewiring direct to the driver tabs, etc.  There's a lot of other tweaks I haven't explored, many of which are at audioasylum which has had planar board for much longer than here at audiocircle.

As far the caps I used being the "best"... absolutely and any other Maggie tweaker using a different type is either deluded or needs their ears cleaned out!  :icon_twisted:

Just kidding of course.  Ask 10 different Maggie tweakers and you'll probably get 20 or more different answers. The ones I've played around with are very cost effective especially being oil filled and I enjoy them over the stock crossover. But others may sound better or at least different.  Same goes for the inductors... some swear by air core but I decided to play around with a more affordable laminated core with a low DCR.

Bear in mind that the stock crossover is in place, so if someone wants to use them a factory-designed that is still possible.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Thanks Krikor - of course you're correct about component fans - especially regarding capacitors!  :wink:  I would consider "Mye" stands, but am wondering about how much better the Gunned hardwood frame and stand would be - especially considering the huge cost.  I might check into the shipping cost - what would the final packed box sizes be, and what would they weigh?  I've seen mention somewhere about special shipping companies that seem to have better damage records than UPS and Fed Ex.
Never mind - I see you've sold them.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2012, 05:21 pm by Hank »