SS or Tubes for Maggie's

medium jim

Re: SS or Tubes for Maggie's
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:00 am »
I imagine it would make Maggies sing very nicely. It's a lot like a Maggie in that it's a no-BS audio appliance. Butler didn't spend your money on a fancy faceplate, etc., so this amp is quite a value when purchased new (most high end amps really aren't). It's an interesting design that I've always wanted to hear. Another one I find intriguing is the A100 - think its storage tanks are big enough (2,000,000mF)?

In all honesty, I understand the drive some people have to experiment with different amplifiers. Otherwise, how does one really know? Different amps do interact differently with our speakers as a consequence of their differing designs. I've found, however, that some very different designs can sound an awfully lot alike. Of course, the answer doesn't spoil the fun of seeking it, and it can only be expressed as a tentative conclusion based upon an exceedingly limited sample of designs. Thus, the truly curious is pushed to expand the experiment - buy a different amp. :icon_lol: Ain't it fun?

Sounds like a case of Audio Nervosa...Take two Amp's and call me in the morning 8)

Jim