Baroque chamber music and organ music on Super-V

Atexanathome

Baroque chamber music and organ music on Super-V
« on: 24 Mar 2012, 09:04 pm »
It appears that few if any Super-V owners listen to my usual preferences, Baroque chamber works and organ music. Does anyone with a Super-V listen to these sorts of works, or have you heard the speakers demoed with anything like this?

It seems that the gold standard used by speaker reviewers is the solo female vocalist, but I don't have a single LP like this in my collection. The closest I get to that genre is Anonymous 4 performing "Mass for the End of Time".

jcotner

Re: Baroque chamber music and organ music on Super-V
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:15 am »
Well I haven't even heard a pair of GR spekaers, but hope to soon, like
in Dallas later this year.
We're in a musical minority I think, but I do spend a lot of time in this
period of music. Not only listening, but performing and recording as
well. I love the Baroque and once got to play Handel's personal harsichord.
Maybe someday will have some of Danny's speakers, but will probably
take this type of source material to the show in Dallas and then
can answer your question.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2012, 06:17 am »
Pardon me taking this off-topic even further.  I recently discovered I'm also a fan of baroque chamber and classical organ music when I found a few albums mixed in a crate of LPs I picked up at a garage sale.  I'd love a few suggestions on composers or specific works that I should explore.  Of course, I'll probably need to upgrade my speakers once I get started down this path since I'm intimately familiar with the sound of a full organ (my grandfather owned a 1928 Wurlitzer theatre organ that I helped repair regularly).

srclose

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm »
Pomp & Pipes sounds really good on the Super V.  Anything that needs a solid foundation and very low frequency reproduction can be handled very well.  I listen to some chamber music and have been pleased.

SRC

tasar

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm »
If Yo Yo and Edger Meyer hit your fancy, also anything in the horn/pipe genre, the Super Vs are SCARY good !! Room treatments outstanding, tones to 20 hz bring real substance to "full body" instrumentation. The waveguide affect of the Coax drivers provide the harmonics one can only dream of.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:41 pm »
I don't have the Super V's, but I do have the V2's and I listen to classical music almost exclusively.  I do think the V2's and super V's sound a lot alike, overall. 

What makes these speakers special (IMO), is a sense of space, allied to a high level of clarity.  What this means practically is that you get a better presentation of which parts of the orchestra are carrying on different musical lines.  And, even more impressive - they are able to more clearly distinguish between groupings of instruments that normally just blend together - like a viola and a violin, for example.

To me, baroque music is highly emotional, but the performance must be good to bring that out.  And even with a good performance, you must have great speakers to really appreciate it.  I think the V series speakers definitely deliver on that.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm »
Point me to a good Baroque album and I'll report what I hear through my Super V's. Outside that, the bass aspects of this speaker I'm just beginning to understand. There's no dynamic compression that I can hear. So the lower registers simply reproduce the acoustical event as it was seemingly recorded. Hard to describe but I'll try. Last night I was listening to Roxy Music "Avalon". I've played this a million times through a million systems (maybe not a million  :scratch:). Here it goes; the bass note is complete. It does not possess overhang. It is not at all constrained. The feeling I got was that it was complete to the level of the recording. That is that I heard enough detail within the note to know that the note played was all that there was. There was no emphasis although the "loudness" was dependent upon the gain on the sub amp so that you could easily overshoot the balance of the speakers by having too much gain. You don't hear an interaction of a cabinet because there is no cabinet. You here little interaction within room although in fairness, I have bass traps in my room and the speakers between 3 and 4 feet from the wall. And now that I think of it you don't notice the boominess of a bass note outside the room. Anotherwards, there seems to be less interaction of the lower registers within the house. Bass impact is different. Through a Wilson or an Eggleston, you'll feel more of a body punch than with these open baffle subs. So they are not as impactfull as some high end speakers I've heard but they do have impact. You can feel the notes and feel the vibration even off the couch. And like the full range of these speakers they are not so sensitive to your sitting location. They are tuneful within a pretty good window although you will lose your stage more from a lateral move than from a forward/backward move. Anotherwards, you can have a party of 3 on the couch and another party behind the couch and not lose your stage but the sweetspot will still need to be centered, at least so far in this early stage of my setup.

OK enough of my senseless rambling.  :oops:
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2012, 08:53 pm by MichaelHiFi »

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:48 pm »
I think you described the subs better than most I have read.....

I was lucky as in my 2ch room was bare when I started and I could hear what each addition of treatment did without the "living room accessories" getting in the way.

The biggest improvement for me was the addition of diffusion on the front wall behind the speakers (thanks again Ed). My V-1s are about 7' from the front wall and the stage is that deep on some material and deeper on some of my better stuff. The height also came up. Live recordings that are well done seem to come alive.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm »
Great description. Servo bass in a cabinet still provides the box resonant  every servo sub I've heard in a box rings true to the enclosure I'm excites to hear open baffle servo bass.  It would great to have a reference bOroque examPle to hear

jcotner

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:33 am »
It would great to have a reference bOroque examPle to hear
If you are trying to exercise a sub I don't think you could go wrong with Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor (BWV 582) by Bach. Either the Fox or Biggs performances are great. You probably could find a newer recording using better technology, but not a better performance. They both died before digital recording was done widely. Be patient it starts meek and builds but near the end your sub will really sing!

Atexanathome

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:17 am »
Pardon me taking this off-topic even further.  I recently discovered I'm also a fan of baroque chamber and classical organ music when I found a few albums mixed in a crate of LPs I picked up at a garage sale.  I'd love a few suggestions on composers or specific works that I should explore.  Of course, I'll probably need to upgrade my speakers once I get started down this path since I'm intimately familiar with the sound of a full organ (my grandfather owned a 1928 Wurlitzer theatre organ that I helped repair regularly).

There's a lot of good Baroque music out there. I like Bach, but I also listen to Handel, Vivaldi, and Scarlatti. There are so many Scaralatti sonatas that you are bound to like some of them. A big collection like Martin Galling's All the Bach Keyboard Works let you sample and pick out various pieces you like, then you find different performances of them.They are the main composers for me, but there are many who are less well-known today, but have produced some great work. I think of Albinoni and Pachelbel for sure. These are ones you should definitely investigate.

If you like the organ, get Bach Organ Favorites Vol. 1-6 by E. Power Biggs. These were great performances on a very good tracker action organ.

Youtube is a great resource. Each recording tends to have a lot of related works listed on the right of the video window. These can take you to a lot of works you might not otherwise think of.

The sound quality is usually terrible on YouTube, but you can often get high-quality downloads, or find the CD on Amazon.