Speaker Impedance and Solid State Amps

trackball02

Speaker Impedance and Solid State Amps
« on: 24 Mar 2012, 04:48 pm »
Novice question here.
My Zu Soul Superflys are 16 ohm speakers. currently I'm running them with a tube amp, AVA Ultravalve, using the 16 ohm taps. These speaker are quite efficient and do well with this 35w amp.
I'm going to get a cooler running summertime solid state amp, and am wondering if there there is anything to consider when looking at specs for a solid state amp that would help me choose. Or, is this higher impedance issue really not that important?

Æ

Re: Speaker Impedance and Solid State Amps
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2012, 04:56 pm »
Novice question here.
My Zu Soul Superflys are 16 ohm speakers. currently I'm running them with a tube amp, AVA Ultravalve, using the 16 ohm taps. These speaker are quite efficient and do well with this 35w amp.
I'm going to get a cooler running summertime solid state amp, and am wondering if there there is anything to consider when looking at specs for a solid state amp that would help me choose. Or, is this higher impedance issue really not that important?

I don't know if you can find any solid state amps that list their performance with 16 ohm loads.
Shouldn't be a problem, but remember that with a solid state amp and 16 ohm loudspeakers, you'll only have half as much power as with 8 ohm loudspeakers. You'll have to audition the amp with your loudspeakers to determine if it is to your liking.
My conjecture is that with many solid state amps, 16 ohm loudspeakers will sound thin, having poor bass. But then again it depends on the amp.

wilsynet

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2012, 09:32 pm »
I've had several tube amplifiers of different topologies: push pull, SET and OTL.  I am an unabashed lover of tubes, but finally found a solid state amplifier that I feel I can be happy with for the long term.

I am currently running the superb LFD solid state integrated, which is resolved, is tonally and harmonically complete, and has plenty of extension both low end and high frequency.  No bass problems.

For less money, I thought the Dayens Menuetto was very good with the Zu Superfly speakers.  Skip the Ampino, it's a good amplifier for the price, but not the giant killer people (I'm sure I've been guilty too) like to gush about during early ownership.  The Ampino's soundstage is incoherent and confused, at least it was with the Zus.

I also like First Watt amplifiers, but they run pretty hot and if heat is a consideration for the Summer, I don't think you'd be solving your heat problem here.

I'm getting the Hypex UCD180 based amplifier that JDUBS just sold to me.  Just buying it to try out and have as a spare.  These Hypex modules are used in the Channel Islands offerings as well as other vendors.  If you're interested, I can follow up on this thread in a couple of weeks to let you know my impressions.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2012, 09:42 pm »
Bear in mind these are now last Gen UCD and the new models have some Ncore technology. So your review would be relevant for only used ucd.

wilsynet

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm »
Yup, I'm aware.  I'm interested in the latest generation UCD too, but I'll likely wait for some commercial vendors to start using them.

JDUBS

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2012, 10:36 pm »
So your review would be relevant for only used ucd.

Incorrect.  The UCD platform isn't going anywhere in the short term:

http://www.hypex.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89

-Jim

trackball02

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2012, 03:13 pm »
Thanks for all of the comments. I would appreciate your UCD experience wilsynet.

wilsynet

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:47 pm »
Got the UCD amp.  Everything works, but haven't had a chance to really sit down with them.  Will post listening impressions mid-week.