Adding WiFi with BDP-1 with a USB dongle

BB

Adding WiFi with BDP-1 with a USB dongle
« on: 23 Mar 2012, 07:10 pm »
I just special ordered a new BDP-1 and BDA-1 combo with the blue LEDs.  :)   While I'm waiting for it to arrive I was wondering if anyone had attempted to add WiFi to the unit by hooking a WiFi dongle to one of the rear USB ports?

Both the Oppo and Cambridge Audio blu-ray players use WiFi dongles in order to keep the radio components outside of the chassis.  Since the BDP-1 uses Linux I see no reason why the same couldn't be done for it.

Also since most Ethernet cables are unshielded, I worry about a long cable run acting like a giant antenna.   Sound quality wise, might WiFi be the lessor of two potential pitfalls?

It would be nice if Bryston offered their own WiFi dongle as an option and ensured the proper drivers are included with the BDP-1 firmware.   Yes I know there are other options available, but I believe most would prefer to avoid extra external boxes and cables stacked everywhere in their component racks.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2012, 08:19 pm by BB »

jjc1

Re: Adding WiFi with BDP-1 with a USB dongle
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm »
The Ethernet connection is merely for the interfaces. It has nothing to do with streaming music. Your music comes from the USB hard drives or thumb drives.

SHV

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm »
The Ethernet connection is merely for the interfaces. It has nothing to do with streaming music. Your music comes from the USB hard drives or thumb drives.

I addition to control functions, music files can be transferred to the USB hard drive or thumb drive over the Ethernet connection.

Steve

BB

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2012, 06:00 pm »

I already realize this.  But this does not negate the usefulness of having a simple, clean wireless solution available for the BDP-1.   That the Ethernet is used solely for control interfaces (and not streaming music data), makes an even more compelling case for using WiFi in instead of physical wires.

I think a WiFi dongle is the best approach, preferable even to having WiFi built in to the BDP-1. 

JfTM

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2012, 06:18 pm »
As I understand it, the only comm port is the Ethernet port, the USB is only for file (music) processing.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2012, 11:17 pm »
If the BDP-1 does not ship with support for a USB wifi dongle, and you want wireless capability, buy one of these:

http://www.netgear.com/landing/wnce2001.aspx

As for wired Ethernet being a bad thing and the wire acting as an antenna, this is not likely.  The strands are twisted to resist EMI and carry high data rates reliably with low error rates.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:19 am »
Hi Guys,

We at Bryston are always looking at ways to expand the feature set of all of our products and wifi for the BDP-1 is one that we are currently looking at.  I'm not saying we will include wifi as a feature, but if we can make it work in such a way that it can be simple and easy to use then we may add it.  In the mean time I would highly recemend power line av kits like the one listed below

http://dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV

They are incredibly simple to setup (literally plug an play) and much more reliable then any wifi option.

Cheers,
Chris

Bryston Engineer

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2012, 07:06 am »
We at Bryston are always looking at ways to expand the feature set of all of our products and wifi for the BDP-1 is one that we are currently looking at.  I'm not saying we will include wifi as a feature, but if we can make it work in such a way that it can be simple and easy to use then we may add it.

This would be an excellent addition to the BDP. Bryston is just about the only manufacturer that does not include a wireless option. Together with the lack of an internal DAC this is something that will turn people away.

In the mean time I would highly recemend power line av kits like the one listed below

http://dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV

They are incredibly simple to setup (literally plug an play) and much more reliable then any wifi option.

Cheers,
Chris

Bryston Engineer

These power line things also let through all the crap that is introduced onto this power line by other appliances, like microwave ovens, air conditioners, tube light units, laundry machines, etc. If you are listening to music you do not want to hear all clicks, buzzes, hums, cracks and whatever else that you get when one of these devices turns on or off.
People buying Bryston spent too much money for this "solution".

srb

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2012, 09:31 am »
These power line things also let through all the crap that is introduced onto this power line by other appliances, like microwave ovens, air conditioners, tube light units, laundry machines, etc. If you are listening to music you do not want to hear all clicks, buzzes, hums, cracks and whatever else that you get when one of these devices turns on or off.

Like you, I am sometimes guilty of parroting heresay without any real knowledge or experience with a particular device or technology.  So although I've posted the same thing more or less, and my mind tells me that they should be avoided, the people who are actually using the powerline networking devices have reported that they don't add clicks, buzzes, hums, cracks or noise.

If they heard any of those anomalies when an appliance turned on or off, they also heard them without the powerline network interface.

Steve

jjc1

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:04 pm »
I agree with Steve. I have been using the power line setup for almost a year now and have yet to hear any interference.

yo2tup

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2012, 05:53 pm »
If the BDP-1 does not ship with support for a USB wifi dongle, and you want wireless capability, buy one of these:

http://www.netgear.com/landing/wnce2001.aspx

As for wired Ethernet being a bad thing and the wire acting as an antenna, this is not likely.  The strands are twisted to resist EMI and carry high data rates reliably with low error rates.

This is what I'm using and it works great!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:41 pm »
Hi All,

In my personal experience i haven't heard any clicks or buzzes (etc) while making use of this product.  I would like to point out two things and they are simply my opinion, so feel free to disagree.  The first is that any high end audio equipment will have integrated into its power supply a regulator of some kind to filter out any of these anomalies that come from your AC outlet regardless if your using a Powerline AV kit or not.  As far as i am aware all Bryston equipment has this built into it there power supplies.  Secondly if you disagree with my first opinion my boss James Tanner can always sell you a BIT, lol just joking on that last one.

Cheers,
Chris