N1X tour - they've arrived.

Rclark

N1X tour - they've arrived.
« on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm »

Didn't see a thread for these so I guess I'll start one. As you can see, they are bigger in dimension than the GR Insignia mod... I won't be able to play with these until next week, but I will do a little shootout with the 'mod.

No Omnimic yet so will be entirely subjective.

pureiso

Re: N1X tour - they've arrived.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:22 pm »
I bought a pair of those Insignias when I was working at BB.  Great speaker.

Haven't tried the mod yet though...

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:28 pm »
Out of the box they are pretty rough, the cabinets at least, very ringey. Buy Danny's mod is very, very substantial.

I do expect the N1x to be much nicer, though.

pureiso

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2012, 01:24 pm »
Out of the box they are pretty rough, the cabinets at least, very ringey. Buy Danny's mod is very, very substantial.

I do expect the N1x to be much nicer, though.

No doubt.  I actually think the N2's are supposed to deliver today, unless I bought something else I don't remember that requires a signature...  :D

chip

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:14 pm »
You hopefully will enjoy them. I had them from the demo tour I think in 2009 maybe? Which led me to getting the N2x....which lead me to now recently own the N3TL.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:26 am »
Yeah... they're interesting... Tweeter aside (the tweeter being major, of course), I actually think it's going to be a close battle.I think the Insignia's woofer might be very good in this fight.

I'll plug them in in a few days. Either way, both GR designs, both win win.

pureiso

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm »
Yeah... they're interesting... Tweeter aside (the tweeter being major, of course), I actually think it's going to be a close battle.I think the Insignia's woofer might be very good in this fight.

I'll plug them in in a few days. Either way, both GR designs, both win win.

I got N2x in and I can say I own no speakers that can even match these.  The sweetspot is HUGE and nothing seems exaggerated at all (which my semi-modded Insignias and even my Lokis do). 

Highly impressed, definitely going to have a lifelong customer with this type of quality.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2012, 06:58 pm »
I finally have a chance to get back on lining up people to demo these. Right now the N1X is in Redmond, WA.

Are there others in that area that would like to demo these before they move on to a new area?

I have a few on the list in Florida and Texas but would rather not have someone have to ship these all the way across the country to the next person.

Any of you guys on the West coast want to give these a shot?

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2012, 06:08 am »
 Ok, so I got to spend a lot of time with these and might as well post my impressions. First of all, pretty much no contest, the N1x's are much much better than the Insignia Mod. However, there is one area where the Insignia Mod is actually better, it has a much sweeter and more musical midrange. It's a small but noticeable region (to my ears). Other than that, they were completely outclassed.

However, the Insignia mod is equally clear as a bell, and very flat sounding, despite having pretty much no bass whatsoever (you wouldn't think that with the monstrous bass port up front). Also, clearly the Neo 3 tweeter is in a whole other league. Despite this, the Insignia mod is a very nice speaker that anyone starting out (like I was) would be happy with. It is a real, musical, enjoyable speaker. I was happy with it for about a month before I got the urge to move on my MMG mod project.

In fact, I would say if I didn't care about bass performance, I'd say the Insignia has the more musical mid driver. Too bad it's castrated with a tweeter coming out the middle of it. I'm sure Danny will disagree with me but it's just what I heard over looong term listening, unbiased because I never use the Insignia's any more. They were never meant to be anything more than a first project to get my feet wet. At best they will get surround duty in my living room someday.

I almost feel that if you had the same neo 3 tweeter in the Insignia and the Insignia mid a full carbon fiber mid, no coax, then you might have something... The tweeter in the Insignia is, while certainly capable, and hifi, is simply, utterly outclassed by the Neo 3.

That said, the N1x's are fanstastic. I used a bunch of odd source material to listen on it, some of it was nature cd's. I could swear that tweeter is capable of resolving every single raindrop over a football field if you have the ears to hear it. Just draws you in, it's incredible. It seems to have limitless resolving power.

And that M-130 driver/vented enclosure arrangement produces prodigious amounts of bass for a monitor. Huge bass.

That said, compared to my Magnestand MMG's though, there are some weaknesses. The N1x does a marvelous job of becoming invisible or transparent, however, one senses a "bow wave" that reveals the box behind it. It's like the Insignia mod is obviously a box, it was ringy and HUGELY fatiguing before the mod, and still lacking ultimate refinement post mod, the N1X gets you about 80% there, but you are still listening to a box and can tell. With the modded MMG there is simply music, coherent and large. With the N1x you can definitely hear the transition between neo tweeter and conventional woofer, but it is mild. Still, vastly different drivers, so I'm sure Danny deserves all the praise for making them blend as well as he did. If you weren't listening for it, you wouldn't notice it.

Also, compared to my MMG's, yes the N1x puts out copious bass, but the musical quality isn't quite up to the same level. It's as though with the N1x the tweeter is the big show, and the woofer is second billing. They aren't a duo, aren't equals. It's excellent, but the midrange and bass quality do not compete with a full planar. but you are talking a small driver in a vented box versus a few square feet of mylar. Also, the modded MMG's had much much better seperation of instruments, where on the N1x's it was though they were pasted together. The MMG's have a more realistic, relaxed, lifelike presentation. And image size was muchly compressed on the N1x compared to the big panel.

However, the N1x's are capable of very high spl's, and I bet that in a fully treated small or medium room with lots of high quality power... they would rock..

The N1x did have a spectacular soundstage, capable of throwing sounds all around the room. One nature cd I played was beach waves, and the N1X did a great job, if you closed your eyes, you were there at the mouth of the bay, and you could point out the line of the beach, the tweeter carrying surging, gurgling water all around in front of you.

I really loved having the N1x's in my system. They have excellent, positively excellent imaging, an astounding tweeter, and great, rumbling, punchy bass performance that belies their small size.

Honestly though, I would have preferred to hear the N3 TL model. Too bad there isn't a tour for those.

Source: Emotiva Erc-2
 attenuation: Warpspeed ldr on batteries
 amp: Virtue Two.2 with ClarityCap mod on batteries

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2012, 05:03 am by Rclark »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2012, 01:03 pm »
Rclark,

Nice balanced review  :thumb:. Do you mind augmenting your review with some particulars regarding real recordings, i.e. in addition to the 'nature' music you used?

Thanks.

Anand.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2012, 05:11 pm »
 Thanks Anand.

Yeah I used an enormous amount of material. I got to know them pretty well. One thing you might now normally consider as being high quality source are video games, but the big budget stuff, like Mass Effect 3, sounds simply amazing, and you can set the audio properties to be high dynamic range.

The N1x's did have quite a lot of air and ambience in this regard. And their capability of emphasis on highest note down through lowest bass was quite impressive too. Definitely a very rockin' speaker.

Nature cd's, I don't know why I use those, they just sound great. Sometimes if I'm having trouble sleeping. I have one of thunderstorms, ocean waves, and one of forest sounds. Great test of a speaker's ability to recreate, well, real sounds. Again, things like raindrops, the crackle of a lightningbolt, the neo tweeter is just spectacular here. With the ocean waves, you can almost hear every facet of the water as it moves.

I played a million cd's, but I also did use a rather fat stack specifically picked for a rather exhaustive listening comparison between the three. Comparing speakers is a lot of work! Not to mention the N1x's, coupled with my sand filled Sanus UF-27's, are quite a heavy pairing.

test albums:

Emotiva demo disc
 Chales Mingus, Mingus Ah Um
 Charlie Parker, 20th Century Masters
 50 Cent, Get Rich or Die Trying
 Skrillex, Bangarang
 Beethoven: 5, & 7, Wiener Philharmoniker/Kleiber
 Threat Signal, Vigilance
 Lamb of God, Wrath
 Beck, Mutations
 Curren$y, Pilot Talk
 Black Cobra, Chronomega
 Jimi Hendrix, Valleys of Neptune
 Deadsy, Commencement

I went through all that, skipping to songs, over a few several hour critical sessions where I just listened and payed attention. A few HDCD's, all of it well recorded stuff, or just thrown in for curiousity's sake.