SA-1 application Q's (and new amps, while im here :) )

oz_audio_todd

Hey Danny,
Would i be correct if I said that the SA-1 provides zero high pass filters (speaker or line level)?
If this is the case, the 8 on the V-2 runs full range(?)
If one wanted to add a set of cheaper subs to the XL-S monitors, what would/should/can you suggest to take out some of the bass of these Sat's?  (assuming this should increase the power handling slightly and possibly make the midrange a bit smoother (may be?))
As usual, i have probably missed something here or am barking up the wrong tree, so pls feel free to set me straight!   :D

I am fairly sure the servo amps provide high pass X-overs for at least the line level, but do we have any better idea on ETA of the new ones?

Thanks again Mr Richie

Danny Richie

Re: SA-1 application Q's (and new amps, while im here :) )
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:25 pm »
Almost any of those plate amp out there with a high pass filter just stick a 100uF electrolytic cap in the signal path. That is NOT something you want in the signal path. So the SA-1 amp has no high pass filter. The servo subs do have one, but only on the RCA outs. From the Rythmik web site: HP filters for satellite is modified to -3 dB@100 Hz with Q=0.6.

The little FMod modules are not too bad to use as a high pass filter.

I usually make a first order one using a Sonicap Platinum in line with the RCA input of the main amp.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm »
Oh OK, so that is just a straight, single Cap inline on the middle pin (basically) of your RCA leads?  What sort of 3dB would that be?  How much are those caps pls?

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm »
You get to pick the cap you like at the price you can afford. I chose the mundorf .47 silver/oil caps at about $35.00 ea.

I cut them in to the + wire on an older pair of Kimber KCAG single ended cables. :thumb: