Magnepqan 1.6 and cat

fastkat

Magnepqan 1.6 and cat
« on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:56 pm »
My coon cat ruined my 1.6's. He ran up them like he would a tree. I had just repaired some delamination  and stuck sound deadener  around the frames. I also biamped them with use of a digital crossover. So I took them out of my living room for their safety and the room looks much better.  They block my windows. Now I'm thinkin of high efficiency.  Anyhoo, has anyone used stainless screen to cat proof these things. Other ideas?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepqan 1.6 and cat
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:45 am »
Pet stores sell an aerosal cat repellant which worked with my late Persian and didn't discolor the fabric.

MaggiesAndCats

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:59 am »
I've heard of others having this problem with cats and Maggie scratching posts.  I've also heard of dogs marking their territory on them.  As my moniker suggests, I have Maggies and cats.  I've had maggies and 4 cats over the past 30 years and no issues.  I was concerned with 1 new cat I had adopted and got some nicely patterned sheets to put over my MGIII's when not in use.  They were easy to remove whn I wanted to do some serious listening.  I had considered having an upholsterer (sp?) make something a little nicer.  Since the cat pays no attention to them without the sheets, I can't really attest to the effectiveness, but they loked nice!

As Steve mentioned, pet stores sell a green apple spray, and probably other sprays, that are used as cat repellents.  I tried the green apple spray with one cat and it had no effect on his behavior.  YMMV...

Regards,

Steve

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:13 am »
Let's not mention the kid's dog.  My speakers looked like wet diapers.
Somewhere along the line I read that most animals are terrified by the smell of tiger urine.  I can't imagine why...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:18 am »
And just how do you go about collecting tiger urine?  Are your animals suitably impressed when you come back from your tiger urine-collecting trip all torn to hell? :lol:

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:50 am »
I was at my Vet's office yesterday with my Maine Coon and saw something in the examining room plugged into an outlet that I didn't recognize, it looked like one of those room deodorizers but I couldn't smell anything. It turns out that it emits a synthetic copy of a cat's natural facial pheromone. This pheromone is used by cats to mark their territory as someplace safe and secure. The vet uses it to reduce the stress on cats during their office visits. 
I Googled the products name, Feliway while I waited for the vet and it looks like the placement of a couple of diffusers in your home might solve your problem. It is supposed to reduce or stop stress related behavior which the vertical scratching on your MG 1.6 certainly qualifies as. Here are a couple links: http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Feliway-Diffuser-Cats/dp/B003E6WSHK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332290558&sr=8-6
http://www.petco.com/product/10533/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-Feliway-for-Cats.aspx
 Of course this product didn't exist when I had my MGIIIs. I added extra scratching posts in the living room and I didn't have a problem, just lucky I guess.
At this point I use my cat's cat trees for added diffusion on the outside my speakers thus killing two birds with one cat so to speak.

Scotty

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:51 am »
Build moats around your Maggie's as cats don't like water!

Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:57 am »
Borrow some Martin Logans and let the high voltage (hopefully) electrocute the cat?   :icon_twisted:

steve f

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:51 am »
Wow. I've been owned by four cats,and two large dogs over the years. None showed any interest in any audio gear including a pair of Maggies. I never realized how lucky I. Was.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2012, 04:00 am »
I chose to have a dedicated listening room for my Maggies, which the cat is not allowed into by the simple expedient of closing the door.  However for a while I moved them downstairs to the HT.  When I did I showed Princess a [type of weapon we're not allowed to mention on AC and the projectile that it uses], and explained how they would be employed if the Maggies got scratched.  Absolutely nothing happened.  She is just about the smartest cat I've ever lived with. 

jk@home

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:16 am »
Won't be aesthetically appeasing, unless done with some nice modded frames, but running the maggies "naked", without the cloth may help. And they might sound better too.

I share my listening room with the family cat, it's one of the only places in the house she can escape from the dog. She usually just sits in the sweet spot, right in front of my chair. Obviously she's a Maggie fan too.

MaggiesAndCats

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:02 pm »
Build moats around your Maggie's as cats don't like water!

I know several cats, including my own, that have no issues with water.  Both my cats will stick their head under the water streaming from the faucet to get a drink of water.  They look like fountains with water running off their heads.  They don't like being squirted with a water pistol though.  Go figure...

Now a moat with fish in it - that would keep them occupied for hours!

Regards,

Steve

mgard

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:34 pm »
I made covers out of heavy clear plastic to cover my Maggie 1.7s and my JL subwoofers. It looks tackie but sure keeps my speakers safe. Our two cats already put holes in my leather chair. Now that is covered up with a blanket. My front room looks like we are moving. It would be simpler to get rid of the cats but my wife likes them.  :|