The 14Bsst2 arrived today!

werd

Re: The 14Bsst2 arrived today!
« Reply #40 on: 24 Mar 2012, 12:45 am »
" I love all my kids the same..."
Nicely played, Mr. Tanner....nicely played.  8)

Werd, we could go on but really, why?  What matters is that either with your 14 or my 7's, we are both knee-deep in the juice of the moose.  :lol: :thumb:

Available in silver or black.

D.D.

Are those a pair bryston's mono mooses?

95Dyna

« Reply #41 on: 24 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm »
Well they are way easier to coordinate into your socket or conditioner since there is only a single mains lead. Positioning amps behind speakers in proximity is a major pita too (especially if you have to run real long mains). It just doesn't work in some households.

I am also inclined to believe the sst/2 models in the 14B closed the capacitance differences with the transformer upgrades in the new models. One of the major advantages of big power is the mass storage of current due to the lack lustre current supply from the wall. Fixable in the past with large capacitance. These new transformers seem to compensate with better faster wall supply. To the point where I would say  its probably unnoticable between the two in most speakers apps.

If you can get the amps right behind the speakers and it functions cosmetically and still household compatible you do get the advantage of shorter speaker wire in the 7B's, which is about the only advantage probably.

Hey werd,

There's no getting around the fact that a pair of 7BSST2's has almost double the capacitance of the 14BSST2.  To say that the new transformers have narrowed that gap when the specs say otherwise as does the VP of Marketing at Bryston could mislead a new buyer trying to make a decision between the two.  The question is does it make any difference.  I agree with you in most applications no.  However if you have a nasty pair of speakers to drive and you listen to alot demanding stuff it would give you an edge.  It's like James has said over and over again it's a matter of application that should drive the choice.  That being said we are comparing the 14B to its stable mate.  Compared to the rest of the world it is a killer amp.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #42 on: 24 Mar 2012, 08:19 pm »
Are those a pair bryston's mono mooses?

They are indeed, werd, and thanks for asking. They are pictured in the downtown of the "city" (  :roll: ) in which you live.

Actually, werd lives in a very nice city. If those Bryston mono-moose were wandering around in the city where I live, they would've been stabbed by now.

D.D. 

Warren_Buff

« Reply #43 on: 28 Mar 2012, 09:48 pm »
Congratulations David C !
The 14B SST2 is probably my dream amplifier.

Show us some pictures of your amplifier.

Greetings from Scandinavia.

spinner

« Reply #44 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:56 pm »
 David ,how are finding the overall presentation so far? I ask this because I have read that the 14B is more"laid back" than the 7B or 4b versions. I'm not sure what laid back means unless it's more recessed or forward in nature. Thanks..... :scratch:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #45 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:02 pm »
Warren Buff
I will try and get a few photos posted this weekend.

Spinner
my previous amps were the Nuforce 9V3SEs and they were a bit forward, bright is not the right word but could be edgy at times. The 14Bsst is extremely articulate, crisp and clean, not recessed in my view. The dynamic range is really good and you can tell that it has alot of "moose juice" as backup when the music peaks. There is never a sign of "stress" or lack of power. I listened to MACs and Classe and found them a bit darker or reserved. I really am pleased with the Bryston

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #46 on: 29 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm »
 :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #47 on: 29 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm »
 Thanks David C . I have the old 4bST and was afraid to give up on the 'in your face' feeling it creates. Sounds like you have made the better choice in the 14B due to all of the refinements offered. Now I must go talk to the banker (wife)  LOL  :lol: :shh:

rmurray

« Reply #48 on: 29 Mar 2012, 10:12 pm »
  The more forward effect ,I read, was with the 4Bsst2. This may be due to some tonal balance differences.????

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #49 on: 5 Apr 2012, 12:47 am »
Bump for an update?

scb

« Reply #50 on: 6 Apr 2013, 06:55 pm »
I'm on the fence between a 14bsst² and a pass x350.5.

I know they have a different sound, but can't decide on which one...

speakers are von schweikert unifield 3, so both amps are more power than I need.

anyone have any thoughts to sway me one way or the other?

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #51 on: 6 Apr 2013, 07:36 pm »
I love my 14Bsst2 with PMC PB1i speakers, really sounds wonderful. Does the Bryston 20 yr warranty sway you. Hard to beat

David c

larevoj

« Reply #52 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:44 am »
I love my 14Bsst2 with PMC PB1i speakers, really sounds wonderful. Does the Bryston 20 yr warranty sway you. Hard to beat

David c

Congrats david! In all Bryston electronics I reckon their amplifier is the BEST and there are no other folks generate solid power like Bryston.  :thumb:

The Passlabs has a VERY different sound from Bryston I have compared them and picked Bryston.  :D

spinner

« Reply #53 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:23 pm »
  Congrats. Please let us know how things go once fully run in :thumb:

tim92gts

« Reply #54 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:33 pm »
Love my 14B SST2s, driving PMC BB5is in biamp with crossovers in the Lyngdorf pre.

The amps are dead quiet and sound lovely from tickover to clipping.

Fantastic service too.

Tim