The 14Bsst2 arrived today!

klao

Re: The 14Bsst2 arrived today!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:09 am »
 :thumb:  You're gonna love the amp more and mroe!

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2012, 07:10 pm »
A quick update if I may. I have not had as much listening time as I want because the weather in SC is wonderful right now. Highs in mid 70s to 80F and sunny.

The 14bsst2 really puts some body into the PB1s. With the Nuforce monos they sounded well but not full, not tinny but no real fullness if that makes sense. Very low noise, if any, and the slam in the bass, even at lower volumes is breathtaking.

Crank it up and the room is pressured very well. Leonard Cohens "in my secret Life" and Alexander Leaving" sound like he is in the room. Hi res Goucho "hey nineteen" is superb as is the hi res Rolling Stones.

I had doubts about the 14 vs the 4Bsst2 and am very pleased to have gone with more "moose juice" not only for the sound but also not to feel like I need to upgrade in the future. I have had Arcams, Nuforce and in my earlier days the GAS Son of Ampzilla. I listened to Classe, Macs and Sim audio but this Bryston beats them all. It is a beast at 100 lbs and is just waiting to be unleashed!!!!

I would highly recomend this amp. You will not be sorry with your purchase and it mates particuarly well with the PMCs. They sound like a completely different speaker (better) with the amp.

SoundGame

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2012, 07:26 pm »
A quick update if I may. I have not had as much listening time as I want because the weather in SC is wonderful right now. Highs in mid 70s to 80F and sunny.

The 14bsst2 really puts some body into the PB1s. With the Nuforce monos they sounded well but not full, not tinny but no real fullness if that makes sense. Very low noise, if any, and the slam in the bass, even at lower volumes is breathtaking.

Crank it up and the room is pressured very well. Leonard Cohens "in my secret Life" and Alexander Leaving" sound like he is in the room. Hi res Goucho "hey nineteen" is superb as is the hi res Rolling Stones.

I had doubts about the 14 vs the 4Bsst2 and am very pleased to have gone with more "moose juice" not only for the sound but also not to feel like I need to upgrade in the future. I have had Arcams, Nuforce and in my earlier days the GAS Son of Ampzilla. I listened to Classe, Macs and Sim audio but this Bryston beats them all. It is a beast at 100 lbs and is just waiting to be unleashed!!!!

I would highly recomend this amp. You will not be sorry with your purchase and it mates particuarly well with the PMCs. They sound like a completely different speaker (better) with the amp.

Out of interest - given the close pricing - what was your decision to go with the 14B over a pair of lucky 7's based on?  I assume you were set on a stereo amp vs. monoblocks but given what I understand to be the advantages of the 7's, I'm curious on your decision.  This is something I would likely face, if I move up the Bryston line from my 4B-SST2, at some point in the future. :scratch:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2012, 08:54 pm »
Soundgame
the decision on the 14bsst2 vs 7bs came down to WAF. She refused to have two huge monos sitting on the floor in our den. The 14b is to one side sitting on top of base open shelf in a built in bookcase with the pre next to it. The area between the speakers was off limits from a decorating wife viewpoint. Given the prices if it were my decision alone I would have gone with the 7's. Also I dont have XLR pre amp outs and if the 7s were next to the speakers I would be a long run  of RCAs.

One more thing to consider .... I purchased the 14b from Audio Advisor since there is not a dealer close by (warranty is good, I checked with James). Audio Advisor allows a 30 day refund if you pay shipping back. I thought this was a safe way to hear the 14b. That said it is a keeper for sure.

SoundGame

« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2012, 09:12 pm »
If that's what it took to please the wife then it was a great decision.

werd

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm »
Soundgame
the decision on the 14bsst2 vs 7bs came down to WAF. She refused to have two huge monos sitting on the floor in our den. The 14b is to one side sitting on top of base open shelf in a built in bookcase with the pre next to it. The area between the speakers was off limits from a decorating wife viewpoint. Given the prices if it were my decision alone I would have gone with the 7's. Also I dont have XLR pre amp outs and if the 7s were next to the speakers I would be a long run  of RCAs.

One more thing to consider .... I purchased the 14b from Audio Advisor since there is not a dealer close by (warranty is good, I checked with James). Audio Advisor allows a 30 day refund if you pay shipping back. I thought this was a safe way to hear the 14b. That said it is a keeper for sure.

The 7bs look like a pair of squirrel nuts sitting next to the 14B. The 14s has a more of a visual wow affect imo.

SoundGame

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:50 am »
The 7bs look like a pair of squirrel nuts sitting next to the 14B. The 14s has a more of a visual wow affect imo.

Agree.  After all, the 14B is in the same box as the 28B, whereas the 7B sits in a 4B box.  So if you have a 14B, at least you can imagine you're looking at the left or right side of a 28B pair.  8) 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:57 am »

Either choice is a sure-fire winner. More moose juice with the 7's, though... :green: :wink:

D.D.

werd

« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:53 am »
Either choice is a sure-fire winner. More moose juice with the 7's, though... :green: :wink:

D.D.

Its the same isn't it?.... Lets ask James what he likes better. James do you like the 14B or the 7Bs better?

Better answer correct.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2012, 11:39 am »
Its the same isn't it?.... Lets ask James what he likes better. James do you like the 14B or the 7Bs better?

Better answer correct.

I really think it is an APPLICATION choice over a PERFORMANCE choice.

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm »

james

" I love all my kids the same..."
Nicely played, Mr. Tanner....nicely played.  8)

Werd, we could go on but really, why?  What matters is that either with your 14 or my 7's, we are both knee-deep in the juice of the moose.  :lol: :thumb:

Available in silver or black.

D.D.

SoundGame

« Reply #31 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm »

james

So, other than the obvious of one box vs. two box space requirements and associated cable requirement e.g. two power cords with the 7's vs. a single one with the 14 etc.  What other factors would go into making the decision between the 7's vs the 14?

Is there any situation, other than the space requirements, that the 14 would be better suited than the 7?

srb

« Reply #32 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:58 pm »
From the topic "ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers":

The 7B has 2 advanatges over the 14B. 1. Mono --so you can place it close to the speaker and use very short speaker cables and 2. It has double the storage capacitance of the 14B.

The 7B has 160,000 uf per channel (mono amp) and the 14B has 88,000 uf per channel (stereo amp).  The advantage of more storage is at very high power demand it can supply more current to the load.

SoundGame

« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:11 pm »
From the topic "ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers":

There may also be a difference in the maximum rail voltage, as well, which would shed light on theoretical maximum output power.

My question was more to James point about application differences.  I was wondering, other than the obvious mono vs. stereo space & cable differences, what, if any advantages the 14B provides.  This would be good to know when making a decision between the two.

Ron D

« Reply #34 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:03 pm »
Congrats on the new amp. When I moved from a 4B-SST to a 14B-SST (both non-squared versions) I immediately noticed how much more details within the music I was now hearing even at lower volumes.

Even though I have friends who own the 28Bs which I have to yet hear and in reality are well above my station in life now that I own 7B-SST2 amps stick a fork in me, I'm done...

werd

« Reply #35 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:31 pm »
There may also be a difference in the maximum rail voltage, as well, which would shed light on theoretical maximum output power.

My question was more to James point about application differences.  I was wondering, other than the obvious mono vs. stereo space & cable differences, what, if any advantages the 14B provides.  This would be good to know when making a decision between the two.

Well they are way easier to coordinate into your socket or conditioner since there is only a single mains lead. Positioning amps behind speakers in proximity is a major pita too (especially if you have to run real long mains). It just doesn't work in some households.

I am also inclined to believe the sst/2 models in the 14B closed the capacitance differences with the transformer upgrades in the new models. One of the major advantages of big power is the mass storage of current due to the lack lustre current supply from the wall. Fixable in the past with large capacitance. These new transformers seem to compensate with better faster wall supply. To the point where I would say  its probably unnoticable between the two in most speakers apps.

If you can get the amps right behind the speakers and it functions cosmetically and still household compatible you do get the advantage of shorter speaker wire in the 7B's, which is about the only advantage probably.

spinner

« Reply #36 on: 22 Mar 2012, 08:04 pm »
 Ron D are you still getting those better details on the 7s that you experienced on the single 14? Which is more dynamic in your opinion? Thanks. :?:

Ron D

« Reply #37 on: 22 Mar 2012, 09:55 pm »
As there was a lag between the release of the 14 and the arrival of the 7s I have no direct comparison to offer but let me say that I found nothing missing in terms of detail when the 7s fired up and they are in fact better sounding (to me) than the 14 was. Now is it better, again to me, because of the newly designed transformers & caps or is it because of the extra capacitance in the monoblocks versus the single chassis version? As I am not one to really push my amps I believe its due to the new transformers, etc. as opposed to the extra capacitance. "Sounds as good with 1 watt versus 100"...

It would be interesting to hear an opinion from someone who has compared a 4B-SST2 against a non-squared 14B. Obviously there would be many factors affecting their opinion - desired listening levels, type of music used, efficiency of speakers, etc.

spinner

« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:09 am »
  Yes,  that would be very interesting. Thanks again... :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #39 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:50 pm »
My new Bryston amp arrived today and I have had it set up for about 2hrs. What a great sound. I have new PMC PB1i speakers, EE mini max DAC with Genalex tube, Nuforce P9 preamp. The Bryston slays the Nuforce 9V3SE monos that I had been running.

Observations so far:
seriously heavy to get into place. You can't set it up by yourself. The bass is superb which is suppose to be a strength of the Nuforce but there is no comparision. Smooth and detailed mids and treble. It really packs a punch and the headroom for my speakers really shows. No sense of the amp being stressed. I "spoke" with James both at RMAF and via e mail and decided to go with the 14 vs the 4B and it was sound advice from James that led to the 14Bsst2.

My wife came into the room and whilst she was a sceptic when I bought the amp she said that the sound improvement was significant.

I am one happy camper :thumb: Booyah

If you have PMC speakers this is the amp to have (could not afford the 28B). You will not be disappointed. Well back to listening and saving for the Bryston preamp!!

James thank you for the patience and advice. I am very pleased.

Congrats! It's always cool when you get a new component. And what a nice one you have!