X-LS Encore Opinions

Ron

X-LS Encore Opinions
« on: 18 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm »
  I have been thinking about building a pair of X-LS Encore speakers using the parts kit that Danny is offering. Also, I would be going with the Sonicap, Mills, and No-Rez performance upgrade options too. My question is have any Audio Circle members built the X-LS Encore with the performance upgrade options? If so, please provide your thoughts or opinions about them regarding sound quality and performance. I did read the SteroMojo shootout report about the X-LS Encore, but would like to hear opinions from others who have built this system.

jwern6

Re: X-LS Encore Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2012, 04:56 pm »
Ron, my first build was a pair of X-LS Encores, bookshelf-size, ported, with the Sonicaps, Mills resistors, & No-rez. They are without a doubt the best sounding speakers I have ever owned.  (my experience limited to 901's, 301's, rt-55's, Mach ones, that calibre). Ok, I'm no audiophile.  I didn't even measure them to compare them with the MOJO shootout set.  I don't have to, I love mine.  If you are a measurements guy, I think you can get close to the performance charts posted on the MOJO shootout site.  I counseled with Danny and went with all of his recomendations on upgrades, except building the floor standing version (X-SLS), so I gave up a little bottom end. I don't think you can find better sound at this price point.  That coupled with your fine cabinets will make a remarkable speaker. The MOJO build of course had point-to-point wiring, no 'board', & ninja-spec soldering, done by The Ninja. G.L.

Ron

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2012, 08:38 pm »
  Thanks for your opinion about the pair of X-LS Encore's that you built. Question -Does the top end with the Peerless India dome tweeter sound smooth and detailed especially with string instruments? Also, does the bass sound tight and well controlled? And how natural do they sound on voice reproduction? If I do decide to build a pair, most likely I will rebuilding the crossovers with point to point hard wiring. Never have cared much for printed circuit boards. If I do decide to build them I will definitely post pictures of the building process for other AC members to see.

Thanks again for your reply.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2012, 08:46 pm »
I didn't build the Encore's but I own a pair with the Skiing Ninja Elite upgrade http://www.skiingninja.com/x-ls-Encore-Elite-Upgrades-p/xlsee.htm.  I put them back in my system just to write this.  I didn't really like what the Ninja upgrade did to the highs.  I am in the minority on this (I might be willing to part with the crossovers as I am soon to turn the Encores into Omnis).  The Encores are fine speakers especially at the low price Danny has them for but I have N3s now.  The Neo tweeter is really hard to beat...  If you are building these for yourself Ron I don't think you will be happy with the change from the N series...

Ron

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2012, 09:22 pm »
   In what way did the Ninja crossover effect the highs? Are they just too bright sounding or something else?
If I decide to build them they will be for someone else.
 I agree that it is hard to beat the detail, smoothness, and naturalness that the Neo 3 PDR tweeter can provide. Thanks for your input.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2012, 09:39 pm »
Just let me say that the price on the Encore kit is just stupid cheap. 

For me the "upgraded" crossover made the highs  irritating.  Mind you I didn't like the Platinum bypass in the N3s either.  I know I am a member of a very small minority there.  And I think you do like the bypass caps so chances are you will like the crossover upgrade.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is that better capacitors (like the platinums) more easily reveal the short-comings of your associated gear, and some may not like what they hear when that happens. Or it might simply be a matter of sonic tastes being different.

The overwhelming consensus, though, is that if you have the requisite associated gear, the better caps (and other upgrades)  provide a tangible, audible sonic upgrade.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm »
 What you are saying is correct. The Platnium bypass caps do let a lot more detail through,but unfortunately they don't mask any flaws that might be present in the program source or your electronics. So if you have a less than perfect system or program source you may not want to use the Platinum bypass caps. It's really an individual preference.

grimace

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2012, 01:32 am »
Hey Ron,  I've only built two pairs of speakers, the X-LS Encores and N3-TLs (neither pair have platinum bypass options).  I had a chance to have them together and do some listening and while they aren't quite as good as the N3s, the Encores are surprisingly good and the pair I built were sealed.  You actually helped me with some plans for the covers (thanks!).

I say give it a try, for the money they are unreal.  I gave the Encores to a friend and he was just telling me today how much he loves them.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2012, 03:16 am »
Ron,

Just use the stock crossover and replace the caps with Sonicaps. Then line them with No Rez. You'll be real happy. There are no short comings. They are just real good and very inexpensive.

Ron

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:21 pm »
Danny,

What about the resistors? If the stock Mylar capacitors are replaced with Sonicaps shouldn't the resistors be replaced too with Mills or would the sonic improvement just not be enough to warrant the extra cost? Also, what improvement in the bass, if any, would there be if a flared type port, like the one in the N1X, were used?

Thanks

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2012, 03:32 pm »
I've converted a couple pairs of X-LS from the classic version to the Encore version.  I still use one pair in my living room for watching tv. My girlfriend didn't want them in there at first but when I compared them to the tv speakers she couldn't say no.  Driven by my little Bryston B60 they easily fill the room and have enough bass to satisfy both of us.  I'd like to add a sub but it's not as important for regular tv watching.

Every day they impress me and for the money are very hard to beat.  I think they easily kick the crap out of most small bookshelf speakers under a grand.  AV123 seriously undersold them.  They aren't as resolving as Danny N-series speakers but they're not too far behind them either.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:07 pm »
Danny,

What about the resistors? If the stock Mylar capacitors are replaced with Sonicaps shouldn't the resistors be replaced too with Mills or would the sonic improvement just not be enough to warrant the extra cost? Also, what improvement in the bass, if any, would there be if a flared type port, like the one in the N1X, were used?

Thanks

You can replace the resistors too if you want. It will be a difference, but a more subtle one than the caps. I just recommended the best bang for the buck upgrade.

A flared port really makes little to no difference until you start pounding on them. The flared port will minimize any air turbulence and noise from that effect.

Ron

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:47 pm »
  Thanks everyone for your input regarding the XL-S Encore. I plan to order the parts and start on the cabinets sometime this week. Cabinet style will be the same as the N2X cabinets that I have previously been building. Will try to post pictures during the build for others to see.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2012, 11:18 pm »
Should be another good project for you Ron.

One thing to keep in mind is that better capacitors (like the platinums) more easily reveal the short-comings of your associated gear, and some may not like what they hear when that happens. Or it might simply be a matter of sonic tastes being different.

The overwhelming consensus, though, is that if you have the requisite associated gear, the better caps (and other upgrades)  provide a tangible, audible sonic upgrade.

One day I would like to hear my speakers (Encores and N3s)  with the "requisite" gear so that I can put to rest whether it is the gear or these ears   :green:...