Impovement of Transcendance Five over the Super PAS 4Si

Alonown

My Super PAS 4Si has gone out and I am debating on just having it repaired or upgraded to the Transcedance Five (only upgrade possible because my 4Si is the small chassis).  This unit is used in my office for back ground music. (My serious system has a Transcendance 7 which definitely is superior to the 4Si.)  I am wondering whether the 5 tube sound would disappoint me or not be a big difference over the 4Si to justify the upgrade price (comparing the circuit board layouts, the two look very much alike).  My other thought is to repair the 4Si and maybe at a later date build a T6 from the kit to replace it.  So is the T5 upgrade that significant of an improvement over the 4Si preamp?

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Impovement of Transcendance Five over the Super PAS 4Si
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2004, 05:22 pm »
The Transcendence Five SLR is indeed a significant improvement over the Super Pas 4i preamp.  The board looks the same because it is the same board, the circuitry is quite different as it has been rebiased for 12AT7A tubes and the regulated power supply parts are on the bottom side of the board in this version.  A lot of effort has gone into it

Musically the T5 SLR is a lot more transparent and liquid than the 4i and worth the upgrade.

Another observaton, what seems to be the problem with your 4i?   It likely will be inexpensive and easy to fix, the overall design is very rugged and durable.  You might want to call me about this.  651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine