Nuforce Icon iDo

coke

Nuforce Icon iDo
« on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:37 pm »
I listen to my ipod every day at work, and I've been looking for an inexpensive way to improve the sound.  Storing music on my computer wasn't an option.

I use a 160 GB ipod classic with the majority of the files being apple lossless.

I require headphones that can block out the noisy office environment and also not allow others to hear what I'm listening to.  I'm currently using Ortofon e-q7. 

I was reading online the other day about possible solutions for improving the sound and I came accross the iDo.  I looked around on the Nuforce website and found they were selling refurb models for $175 shipped  :thumb:

If you're not familar with this, it's a device that bypasses the ipod DAC and amp, and includes its own DAC and headphone amp along with digital and analog outputs.

Yesterday was my first time to use it. So far I really like what I hear, but it's too early to give a  detailed review.  The background is much darker/silent.  I've got more control over the volume.  Everything is much more detailed. 

The mids seem a little forward now, and that's my only complaint so far. It could be a result of the increased resolution or it's possible that nuforce adds some eq when you use their dac and amp. I read something about that online, but haven't been able to confirm.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Nuforce Icon iDo
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:39 pm »
Thanks for the tip coke. There are a bunch of products like the iDo, I use a Fiio E17 myself. Fiio also makes a now outdated E7 and just about every manufacturer that plays in the portables ring has a product like these. Check out ibasso, and some others that escape me right at the moment, lots of nice units.....

coke

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for the tip coke. There are a bunch of products like the iDo, I use a Fiio E17 myself. Fiio also makes a now outdated E7 and just about every manufacturer that plays in the portables ring has a product like these. Check out ibasso, and some others that escape me right at the moment, lots of nice units.....

My main goal was to bypass the Ipod DAC.  That's what made the iDo stand out to me. 

It doesn't appear to be possible to bypass the Ipod DAC with the E17.  In the manual, they show using the L3 cable, but this just takes the analog signal from the ipod dock..

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:43 pm »
I have a Nuforce uDac-2 and I personally find it a bit harsh in the high end. (I've also read some things about Nuforce's methodology of building their components that I personally find not too thrilling.)

I think I'm going to try the new Audioengine D1 next.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/Audioengine-D1-versus-DacMagic

coke

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:57 pm »
Yeah, I'm noticing more fatigue than normal today.  I'm going to give this a chance though. Overall I like it for what it costs.  I might add something like a tube amp later on.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2012, 08:02 pm »
I have a Nuforce uDac-2 and I personally find it a bit harsh in the high end. (I've also read some things about Nuforce's methodology of building their components that I personally find not too thrilling.)

I think I'm going to try the new Audioengine D1 next.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/Audioengine-D1-versus-DacMagic

Would you care to share a link to the "methodology" info?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2012, 08:28 pm »
 Coke, If you use a LOD cable with an ipod your bypassing the DAC, I use one with the E17 so YES it does bypass the ipod DAC and its very easy to listen to for long, long sesions...I use it for Laptop USB DAC, ipod LOD cable to bypass ipod DAC, I even use it with my main system sometimes as the DAC, the E17 and most like it do these things as I'm sure yours probably does also....if your new to portables which sounds like the case you'll soon see there are so many great little devices... enjoy it!!!!

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2012, 09:09 pm »

PSB Guy

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2012, 09:12 pm »
Coke, If you use a LOD cable with an ipod your bypassing the DAC, I use one with the E17 so YES it does bypass the ipod DAC and its very easy to listen to for long, long sesions...
An LOD will only bypass the Ipod's volume control circuitry and internal opamp, and send that pre-amped post-DAC'd signal to whatever you have it hooked up to. It does sound better than using the headphone jack as an output, but not anywhere near as good as outputting a pure digital signal to an outboard DAC. A couple of devices will do this, one is the Wadia 170/1 dock, another is the Cambridge iD100, which I use with an AVA Vision EC DAC.

Cornelis

coke

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm »
An LOD will only bypass the Ipod's volume control circuitry and internal opamp, and send that pre-amped post-DAC'd signal to whatever you have it hooked up to. It does sound better than using the headphone jack as an output, but not anywhere near as good as outputting a pure digital signal to an outboard DAC. A couple of devices will do this, one is the Wadia 170/1 dock, another is the Cambridge iD100, which I use with an AVA Vision EC DAC.

Cornelis

Another to add to the list is the Pure i20.  These are only $100 and work amazingly well.  My dad is using one and I really like it.  His system consists of the following:

Ipod classic with lossless -> Pure i20 -> EE minimax DAC -> AVA Insight Pre -> AVA Insight Amp -> Salk Songtowers

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-iPhone-Hi-Fi-Quality-Output/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331848991&sr=8-1

PSB Guy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2012, 10:35 pm »

Another to add to the list is the Pure i20.  These are only $100 and work amazingly well.  My dad is using one and I really like it.  His system consists of the following:

Ipod classic with lossless -> Pure i20 -> EE minimax DAC -> AVA Insight Pre -> AVA Insight Amp -> Salk Songtowers

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-iPhone-Hi-Fi-Quality-Output/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331848991&sr=8-1
Yeah, I've heard good things about the Pure i20, should try it, it's cheap and cheerful enough. The iPod can be a great source when used properly, that's for sure. I love my set-up:
Ipod Classic with AIFFs -> iD100 -> AVA Vision EC DAC -> AVA Control Amp -> Salk SongBirds

Cornelis

Nocturne79

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2012, 10:43 pm »
I actually use a Pure i20 to feed my itouch into an AVA Vision dac---m901 sensation--Vapor audio Breeze speakers= Musical bliss :)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm »
I stand corrected, sorry guys I was given wrong info it seems awhile back about the LOD cable......the Pure i20 is popping up all over and everyone seems to like them, I only use an ipod for walks and travel, the music all comes from one source which I play directly through my SB into my main system along with my Grant DAC and Virtue gear...and of course my JBL's.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2012, 06:19 am »
I've been confused about the iPod LOD, as well. Recently I was told that the CURRENT generation of iPods actually play lossless audio via the LOD. I was sent a spec sheet on the current classic (7G) and it does have ALAC files listed...but then another source said that the lossless files are downgraded to a lower quality when played via the LOD...so I don't know what to make of it.

coke

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:13 pm »
  The confusion above was about which DAC converts the digital lossless files to an analog signal.  In most cases, the ipods DAC converts the lossless files to an analog signal, and that's what you get when you connect most cables to the dock or headphone out.  The quality of that analog signal isn't as good as what you get when you're able to bypass the ipod DAC and do the conversion with a better DAC.

PSB Guy

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm »
What used to confuse me, and what I think still confuses a lot of people is that the Ipod dock connector is able to transfer both analog and digital signals. But you need a special device like the Wadia 170/1, iD100 or Pure i20 to tranfer a digital signal to an external DAC. An LOD cable will only transfer an analog signal that has already gone through the Ipod's internal DAC, which is less than optimum.

Cornelis

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2012, 04:13 am »
  The confusion above was about which DAC converts the digital lossless files to an analog signal.  In most cases, the ipods DAC converts the lossless files to an analog signal, and that's what you get when you connect most cables to the dock or headphone out.  The quality of that analog signal isn't as good as what you get when you're able to bypass the ipod DAC and do the conversion with a better DAC.

So are you saying it's playing the lossless file but with a lesser quality DAC, or it's playing a down-converted file?

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm »
So are you saying it's playing the lossless file but with a lesser quality DAC, or it's playing a down-converted file?

Things like the ALO cable simply get the analogue signal that has been internally processed by the DACs in the IPOD/Iphone or Idevice.  The file bit rate is decided automatically by the device before output.  I believe that that process in itself is limited to the size and the encoding type of the file.