The SSR is Already a Six Year Old Design

daniel_ronquillo

The SSR is Already a Six Year Old Design
« on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:42 am »
Hello everyone.

I just realized from my readings in this forum that the SSR is a 2006 design, meaning it is already 6 years old.

My question is this:
As it is, if a person chooses to have it now, is the SSR still a competitive design considering the advancements that have taken place in the industry? If I, for example, choose to order an SSR now, will my purchase (a six-year-old design) still be able to perform well and not be left behind by current designs in the same price category?

I do intend to buy this speaker from Selah so please comment.

navin

Re: The SSR is Already a Six Year Old Design
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:01 am »
1. Quality never goes out of style.
2. The SSR uses the ScanSPeak 18W8545 and a Fountek CD3.0 (I think). Both are current drivers.

Given the above I do not see any risk in the SSR being outdated today or fo that matter even 5 years from now. ScanSpeak has introduced the Illuminator range that might (I have tested this) outperform the Revelator but that does not mean the Revelator is a poor driver. Used for the applications it was developed it is a good driver. As a DIYer (in the past) I have used both the 8546 and 8545.

That said there are many drivers (especailly of the moving coil aka dynamic variety) that were produced in the 70s are still very good even by today standards. However if you want a more "current" version of the SSR, replacing the Fountek with RAAL 70-20XR (this driver is only available to OEMs) and an appropriate crossover would be an option.

GaryB

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:20 pm »
However if you want a more "current" version of the SSR, replacing the Fountek with RAAL 70-20XR (this driver is only available to OEMs) and an appropriate crossover would be an option.

See the "Grandeur" in Selah's kits section... it's a big step up in price from the SSR, though.  I wonder if substituting one of the newer Neo X Fountek ribbons for the CD3.0 might be worthwhile if funds are tight.

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:23 pm »
Actually the SSR uses the newer Revelator slit cone driver ?4531?
the 8545 was the older design...a good driver in it's day
& still a good middbass driver.  The Revelator was the improved
version  This driver was & is used in many "high end" designs
from many companies aroudn the globe.

The more expensive Illuminator is the next generation.

This was & is a nice sounding design.  I own a Square
box SSR.  Most everyone likes them. They are easy to drive.

All drivers have a 'sound' based on many factors, material,
spiders, surrounds etc.,

Looking around the forums you'll notice that the Tweeter
advantages are there but at times small.  Mr Murphy &  Mr.Craig
have all compared & contrasted the changes...all agree the
older ribbons are darned nice the newer RAAL is nicer but
at Co$t.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:38 pm »
Often times several drivers are similar in quality, but are different "flavors", ie, one is not better than the other, it comes down to preferences.  Other times, better is just better.  IMO, the RAAL ribbon tweeters are just better than other tweeters :)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:40 pm »
1. Quality never goes out of style.
2. The SSR uses the ScanSPeak 18W8545 and a Fountek CD3.0 (I think). Both are current drivers.

Given the above I do not see any risk in the SSR being outdated today or fo that matter even 5 years from now. ScanSpeak has introduced the Illuminator range that might (I have tested this) outperform the Revelator but that does not mean the Revelator is a poor driver. Used for the applications it was developed it is a good driver. As a DIYer (in the past) I have used both the 8546 and 8545.

That said there are many drivers (especailly of the moving coil aka dynamic variety) that were produced in the 70s are still very good even by today standards. However if you want a more "current" version of the SSR, replacing the Fountek with RAAL 70-20XR (this driver is only available to OEMs) and an appropriate crossover would be an option.

Actually the woofer is the 18W8531G with the slit cone. The 8545 for many years was the reference but the 8531 took its' place in terms of better midrange quality.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:44 pm »
See the "Grandeur" in Selah's kits section... it's a big step up in price from the SSR, though.  I wonder if substituting one of the newer Neo X Fountek ribbons for the CD3.0 might be worthwhile if funds are tight.

Good suggestion - I'll be offering the "X" version to anyone looking to buy the SSR.

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm »
Good suggestion - I'll be offering the "X" version to anyone looking to buy the SSR.

"X" version means the Fountek Neo X? How will it differ in sound and in price from the Neo CD3-equipped SSR?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2012, 05:12 am »
Hello everyone.

I just realized from my readings in this forum that the SSR is a 2006 design, meaning it is already 6 years old.

My question is this:
As it is, if a person chooses to have it now, is the SSR still a competitive design considering the advancements that have taken place in the industry? If I, for example, choose to order an SSR now, will my purchase (a six-year-old design) still be able to perform well and not be left behind by current designs in the same price category?

I do intend to buy this speaker from Selah so please comment.

I wouldn't be offering the SSR if it wasn't competitive with other speakers in the same price range. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2012, 04:34 pm »
"X" version means the Fountek Neo X? How will it differ in sound and in price from the Neo CD3-equipped SSR?

The price should not change very much. The NeoX models just arrived and I haven't tested one yet; however, the second generation CD3.0M was an improvement and I expect the same with the X version.

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm »
The Grandeur looks like a real step up from the SSR, however the price difference is not small either. How much sound quality are you losing if you "settle" with the SSR?

Alternatively, if I, for example want a soft dome for the tweeter, what will be the recommended unit?

GaryB

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm »
I suggest you call Rick directly and discuss your wishes and concerns with him.  He won't bite... not usually, anyway. :wink:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »
The Grandeur looks like a real step up from the SSR, however the price difference is not small either. How much sound quality are you losing if you "settle" with the SSR?

Alternatively, if I, for example want a soft dome for the tweeter, what will be the recommended unit?

I already discussed this with you a few weeks back on the phone. I would suggest saving your $ for the Grandeur and that way you won't have to worry about it.

Fenomeno

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:14 am »
Hello everybody.  It's been a while. I am the original owner of the first SSR. For anyone in this thread considering if it is an "up to date design," consider the fact that it has been 6 years since I purchased these speakers (Feb '06) and I am still happily using them in my main system without desire for something else. They have been wonderful speakers. I do not have the upgraded crossover.

A couple of things to remember about this hobby: having the latest and greatest will cost you more. Having the best sound may not cost you more. Nothing about audio is a comparison of "all things being equal." Room size, dimension, attenuation, listening distance, playback volume, etc.. all factor in the perceived performance of a product.  Every time I listen to my system I have to remind myself these speakers are a relatively speaking "Budget Item" in the world of high-end audio. I like that feeling. For some, the idea of a good value means less than the idea of a "no compromise" or "balls to the wall" approach. Whatever floats your boat and satisfies you...

That said, I think the SSR very competitive with any speaker design for their price and then some. They punch well above their "weight" class for sure.  If the original poster's concern is the newest drivers, it is worth speaking to Rick about certain driver substitutions. In fact, when I called Rick to describe the speaker I wanted in '06 (large monitor for relatively modest room, with ability to play loud and produce bass sans subwoofer...) and we discussed the options at the time, it sort of became the Revelator and Fountek combo as the best proposed solution. I personally wanted a speaker to compete with the Sonus Faber monitors at the time, using the scanspeak revelator driver if Rick thought it would work. It did work...but because Rick made it work...wonderfully.  Trust Rick, he knows his work.

The speakers are great. Sure they are not the BEST in everything they do (not the BEST bass, or BEST midrange or BEST dynamics) but they are 7" two-ways.

My adjustment regarding some dry harmonics and compressed midrange was simple (this is relative, as I am comparing to a friend's 50k+ system tweaked for low powered tubes with harmonic richness that is just amazing to listen to)     The stuffing in the cabinet directly behind the woofer should be moved away in the cabinet from the rear of the woofer cone to avoid some mid-range "shouting" on some material.

If I had to list what makes these compare to world class speakers:
Voice. Dynamics (when played with reasonable volume levels). Balance. Imaging.

These are not efficient speakers. They are not a difficult load, but the truth is that power is good for them and the option of playing them with low powered tubes (for that distortion we love to call harmonic richness) is not the best strategy. So consider your future amplification when purchasing.

Bottom line: Have you heard the SSR? Does 6 years of satisfaction mean anything? Would I do it again, today? ABSOLUTELY
Hey Rick, do you entertain rental loaners with credit card numbers and deposits?  LOL

drmike

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2012, 06:13 pm »
i have had my ssr's for 5 years. i have the upgraded x/o. the cabinet is based on the design that dsk used, see original ssr post. i did use a thicker baffle and back, 1.5" mdf and baltc birch ply.
i am using two w4s st 500 amps to vert. biamp them. the sound from these speakers is really top notch, well worth the time to build them. a real steal at this price. kudos to rick.
drmike

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2012, 08:50 am »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm saving up for the Grandeurs.  :D

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2012, 01:03 pm »
Speaking as the owner of the first Grandeur, I would say you made a wise choice.  :thumb:

Going on two years with mine and I have no desire to change them.

Chuck

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2012, 07:33 pm »
Hi Chuck,

How are the Grandeurs without subs? Do you use them for movies too?

Daniel

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2012, 01:00 pm »
Daniel,

I am using my Grandeurs in our living room mostly for music. I have a full Martin Logan theater system in the basement with dual SVS Ultra subs for movies.

However, certainly for music and TV I find the Grandeur bass fully sufficient. The speakers have a weight (for lack of a better work) that the Martin Logans do not have. And the bass is detailed and full of texture. But in the end these are only 7" woofers, though they are essentially the same woofers as used in the YG Acoustics Carmel which sell for $18,000.

I think for movies the Grandeurs will be satisfying, but if you play them loud and want the seat cushions to vibrate, you will eventually want to get a subwoofer. But in order to keep up with the Grandeurs it will need to be a good one. I have played mine with one of my SVS Ultras and it is a really good combination, but for our living room (and we live in a condo) we don't need that kind of bass. If I'm playing an Organ CD I just retreat to the basement.

Chuck

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:22 am »
Thanks, Chuck.

So you use the Grandeurs for your TV. I'm just curious because most of my music comes from Pandora. Not the best source, but I'm interested to know how the Grandeur sounds when playing lesser quality sources like internet radio? I would like to use my subs sparingly.

Daniel