thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Different connotations of the term "THIS SUCKS!"
« on: 14 Mar 2012, 09:27 pm »

Rclark

Re: Different connotations of the term "THIS SUCKS!"
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 09:49 pm »

I just caught a strange connotation between this post here and your screen name. Reminded me of the F-105 Thunderchief. Any connection?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm »
Nope.  Far from it. "Thunderbrick" was the name some of my students gave to our department's old van.  Sounded like thunder, handled like a brick.  I have, however, flown in a DC-3 and a B-17.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm »
 :thumb:

Very cool on both counts. I would give my left to fly in a B-17! How did you manage that?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:41 pm »
:thumb:

Very cool on both counts. I would give my left to fly in a B-17! How did you manage that?

There are two aircraft that give rides.  Aluminum Overcast, owned by the EEA, is the one I flew on.  Pricey, but worth every penny.  I used to work with a guy who flew many missions in a B-17.
Next on my list is the B-29 "Fifi" which is housed very close to my son's Dallas workplace, and maybe a B-25.

If you haven't made the pilgrimage to EAA Oshkosh Fly-In, you haven't lived.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm »
I used to volunteer at airshows, and just about got my pilots license when I was a teenager. I've been around lots of planes, sat in, walked through very many... My instructor was an old guy, flew F-104's in the Air Force.

One of the coolest planes I've been in was the Antonov 225, the biggest aircraft in the world. Monstrous! It was just me and a crew guy who only spoke Russian. He took me up into the cabin (over 100 feet off the ground!), and I walked back into the crew lounge. Yes, there was an open bottle of vodka on the table.

They actually rolled the 225 on departure.

B-1, B-2, all sorts of military craft, aerobatic planes, met a shuttle pilot, was pen pals with a couple female navy pilots, been around em all.

I miss it alot. Hopefully if things take off (lol) for me this year I can get back into flying.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm »
I used to attend the (then) Confederate Air Force shows in Harlingen, TX.  Super events!
Near me are three of derelict (junk) DC-3s that I like to photograph.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm »

Oh yeah? I've got to see some air racing around here too, with old craft like Bearcats and Mustangs and Corsairs with super built engines doing just incredible speeds  :) .

Would you mind posting a few DC-3 pics?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:13 pm »
Try this (if I did it right):http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42049.msg1034374#msg1034374

Edit:  To bring this thread back on topic, my wife's first husband was career USAF.   :lol:

Æ

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm »
One of the coolest planes I've been in was the Antonov 225, the biggest aircraft in the world. Monstrous! It was just me and a crew guy who only spoke Russian. He took me up into the cabin (over 100 feet off the ground!), and I walked back into the crew lounge. Yes, there was an open bottle of vodka on the table.

Yes, it is a very impressive plane. I have a whole bunch of pictures of the plane on my computer. But, your statistics are a bit off.
Not 100 feet tall, not even nearly.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:33 pm »

Well it sure felt like it! Wouldn't want to fall off a wing either way. And the engines are MASSIVE.

geezer

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:34 am »
I'm old enough to  have flown in DC-3s a few times when they were still fairly commonly used by some commercial airlines. I remember one occasion, a short hop from Albuquerque to Los Alamos, when the pilot told us we would be climbing the whole way.

Æ

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:47 am »
Well it sure felt like it! Wouldn't want to fall off a wing either way. And the engines are MASSIVE.

Here is a video I'm sure you will enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rac87fY6w-M&feature=related

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:58 am »
127,000 lbs thrust... Good lord. Was cool to see it power a 747 singlehandedly, also including the drag of the three other powered down engines.

neat  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:07 am »
Damn, did anyone actually find the cartoon in the first post funny?  Where are all the Air Force guys who should be indignant?? :scratch: :lol:  Or did someone have to explain it to them? :icon_twisted:

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled discussion of aircraft history and aeronautical engineering.     :jester:

Æ

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:28 am »
Damn, did anyone actually find the cartoon in the first post funny?  Where are all the Air Force guys who should be indignant?? :scratch: :lol:  Or did someone have to explain it to them? :icon_twisted:

Air Force, or Chair Force?

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:30 am »
Give it time  :)

This part of the forum is pretty low-traffic.