Looking for advice on CD transports

Wylie Williams

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.speakerandstereostore.com
Looking for advice on CD transports
« on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:35 pm »
I am currently using an ancient Rega Planet as a transport, and wondering if if a better transport would make a significant difference.  As most DACs, including my Bel Canto, are said to have solved the problem of jitter it would seem that any old transport would do. Internet research has not been productive, so I wonder if any GAS members have done transport comparisons that they would share with me.

Wylie Williams
If you prefer to discuss instead or write my number is 314-692-2230

Phil A

Re: Looking for advice on CD transports
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:49 pm »
I have used a variety of transports with a few different DACs, an old MicroMega Duo Pro DAC (sold a bit ago) and I currently have a Bryston DAC in the main systems and an Emotiva in the secondary basement system.  I have about 10 transports among 4 systems or laying around.  With a DAC that reclocks, it probably makes less of a difference.  I moved my old Marantz DV9600 (DVD universal) back to the main system as a CD transport (and that is all I use the Marantz for except for a couple of times a year I play something thru the analog outs into an old Carver C-9 Sonic Halography unit) as I find it a bit better than my modded Oppo BDP-83.  I owned a Rega Planet many moons ago and I did try it with the MicroMega DAC at one point, but the MicroMega is probably of a 1993-1994 vintage so it may not be a good indicator.  However, when my friend worked at the high end store many moons ago, we closed the doors one Thursday night after hours and stayed until around 3AM testing various transports and DACs, including the Rega Planet.  I believe we had a Rotel DAC (this is going back about 8-9 or so years back) as the only DAC vs. other things in the store including a $16k CD player.  Did not care for the Rega Planet as a transport but was kind of pleased that after numerous combinations we felt the $16k CD player was best, followed by the Rotel transport DAC combo and the Rega Planet as a stand alone CD player was third (and that was vs. much more expensive things including a $3.5k CD player) and I felt good about the $800 I spent on it.  If you don't have other transports at your disposal, take the DAC to your local store when they are not busy.  They should not have a problem with that.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2012, 03:35 am »
I agree it depends on the DAC.  My friend has an older Levinson DAC with reclocking in the input and he says he can't tell any difference between whatever he uses as transport.

In contrast, i had a vintage solid state Conrad Johnson DAC which was particular about the transport, I tried a TDK CD recorder and it sounded bad like it couldn't drive the DAC.  I ended up using a higher end Denon CDP for transport.  I also had an Audio Note DAC which I could hear the difference in transports, an EAD trans was a magical combo.  I found it very interesting connecting the Audio Note DAC to a Krell CD player that the character of the Krell influenced the sound, I can't begin to explain that one.  Since then though I am convinced the transport is more important than we are led to believe.

I would try experimenting, try hooking a DVD, or something lower end, player up to it to see if any difference from the Rega, if you can't hear the difference then the BC reclocks very well and you don't have to spend a lot on something as transport.

Wylie Williams

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2012, 01:22 am »
A friend loaned me a Sony CDP-707ESD, which many online sources consider to be among the best, to compare to the Rega. I've only used one track for comparison, but the Sony was better. I will have to use some variety of program material to be sure that this wasn't a fluke. I like the idea of using a DVD player for comparison, so I will bring my $149 Panasonic from my TV room for a 3-way listening. Now I need to decide what program material to use for the comparison

Mr Peabody

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:26 am »
Sometimes when trying to evaluate something new in my system I will use material I am very familiar with more than worrying about a recording's sound quality.

Were you using a coaxial connection for both the Sony and Rega?  Seems you may have already established the Bel Canto is sensitive to different transports.  But further experimenting will confirm as well as being fun :)

Wylie Williams

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm »
Good advice.  I'll try some favorites.  I am using digital coax, but I suppose I should try a Toslink even though the conventional wisdom is that it is inferior. I'm not sure I can find an upgrade Toslink in my collection so the comparison may not amount to much.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:10 pm »
I think you are fine with just the coax, I was just curious what type of connection you were using.

BPoletti

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2012, 07:52 pm »
Wylie,

Have you tried copying CDs onto a computer hard drive?  Playback would just be a matter of getting some playback software and using a Toslink or other digital output into the DAC.  Advantage is that you never had to handle a CD again once it's copied to a hard drive. 

RaceTripper

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:09 am »
For what it's worth I just got a Naim ND5 XS network streamer (which has the 768Khz Burr Brown PCM1791A DAC). I don't have a CD player, and usually rip CDs for streaming from my Mac, but I pulled out a 10 yr. old Marantz DV7100 DVD player I had sitting in the closest. Used its coax digital output into the Naim and I must say it sounds pretty damn good as a CD transport. I certainly wouldn't go spending money on a CD player at this point.

Now if I could just get the RC5 remote out from the Naim to control the Marantz transport controls I'd be happy.

Wylie Williams

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:43 pm »
Hi Bob.  I do have an iMac with Pure Music software, and I use it for most of my listening. But because I do stereo business in my home I need a really good CD player to play customer's CDs when they come to hear GoldenEar speakers or other components.

Hi RaceTripper. That's interesting.  It would be convenient to use the same player for DVD as well as CD.

vhiner

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2012, 12:16 am »
Wylie,

I own a PSAudio Perfect Wave MKII DAC and a Perfect Wave transport. I've heard your set up and I believe you and some of your clients will hear a difference in transports. In digital, everything matters, IMHO. I have compared my PWT to CEC belt-driven transport, a Meitner Melior transport and T + A CDP as transport. The PWT towers above them all. Other owners i know locally say it beats both Levinson and Esoteric transports they have owned. You can find one used or on discount for between $1400 to $1800. I could bring mine over some time if that would help.

Vance

RaceTripper

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:24 am »
Hi RaceTripper. That's interesting.  It would be convenient to use the same player for DVD as well as CD.

I am not using it to play DVDs though. It is only connected via the coax digital out to my DAC.

My two-channel system for music and multi-channel system for AV are separated into two distinct systems on different floors. I use a PS3 for playing DVDs otherwise.

drbrad98

« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:50 pm »
I second the PS Audio Perfect Wave combo. I haven't heard a better sounding digital front end. I just upgraded to the Mk II and it's also noticeably better.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2012, 05:32 am »
Before any real consideration of the PS Audio I would take the offer to give it a listen.  I for one found it not to my liking, just my listening opinion.  I first heard the PSA combo on demo in a hi fi shop and more recently did a shoot out between the PW DAC, an Audio Note DAC and a T+A CDP.  Using them as source for an all Levinson system.  Although I had to admit the PS Audio some better over the competition, based on improved more full images, I would still not trade my lesser expensive T+A player for the PSA combo.  The sound seems overly warm or dull to me.  My friend who was auditioning to buy took the used Audio Note DAC over the PSA.  I also thought the PWT had a flembsy tray for a $3k retail.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2012, 05:54 am »
Before any real consideration of the PS Audio I would take the offer to give it a listen.  I for one found it not to my liking, just my listening opinion.  I first heard the PSA combo on demo in a hi fi shop and more recently did a shoot out between the PW DAC, an Audio Note DAC and a T+A CDP.  Using them as source for an all Levinson system.  Although I had to admit the PS Audio some better over the competition, based on improved more full images, I would still not trade my lesser expensive T+A player for the PSA combo.  The sound seems overly warm or dull to me.  My friend who was auditioning to buy took the used Audio Note DAC over the PSA.  I also thought the PWT had a flembsy tray for a $3k retail.

So it's not just me...I heard that PS Audio combo as well and that's exactly what I thought, too: Rolled-off highs, overly warm-sounding and dull, dull, dull. Lots of visual entertainment, though... :roll:

D.D.

headrott

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2012, 08:50 am »
I have used a number of Denon CD and DVD players as transports (DVD-5910, DCD-3000, etc). I recently purchased a Theta Jade as a dedicated transport and the difference was very drastically improved. The warmth, soundstage, detail, and imaging was very much improved. I recommend buying a dedicated transport.

Greg