Room layout software?

brj

Room layout software?
« on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:14 am »
I was looking to mock up my room in some type of 3D model package and was hoping for some recommendations.  While it might be overkill, I wanted to model the actual structure with real wall thickness and other features.  Given that, something with an actual architectural bent would be ideal.  I'd prefer a solution that runs on a Mac, but I can run in a virtual Windows environment if required.

Google Sketchup is the first package that came to mind, but unless there are some plugins or collections I'm missing, it will take a bit of work to make a realistic model.  I haven't really used Sketchup significantly, so the learning curve is a bit more than I'm wanting to climb at the moment.

The Home Designer series of software packages looks ideal, but so far I can't really justify spending that kind of money just to mock up a couple of rooms.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

(I posted in the Acoustics Circle because my goal is to help lay out out the system and room treatments.)

mgalusha

Re: Room layout software?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:09 am »
CadStd has a architectural mode but I don't think it will do perspective in the free version. cadstd.com - the pro version is only $38. The tutorial it comes with is how to make a desk and chair and lay out a room. One could easily draw something with the size and shape of speakers and a rack. :)