M2Tech announce Hiface Two USB-S/PDIF convertor

Alexdad54

M2Tech announce Hiface Two USB-S/PDIF convertor
« on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:26 pm »
Saw this at John Darko's site: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/news-blog-and-showcase/audio-news/item/345-m2tech-announce-hiface-two-usb-s/pdif-convertor

"Italian company M2Tech have announced an update to their popular USB-S/PDIF convertor.  The Hiface TWO will be fully USB Audio 2.0 compliant which means goodbye drivers and hello Linux.  It will be true plug n play.  This refresh also promises better power supply handling and an improved output interface. Retail pricing is expected to remain at AU$199 and the first units will likely see the light of day at the end of March 2012."

At today's rate: AUS$199 = US$209
 Linux finally!  :thumb:

Eudyptes

Re: M2Tech announce Hiface Two USB-S/PDIF convertor
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2012, 05:42 pm »

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:08 am »
Its out now. Whos pulling the trigger?

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:21 am »
Goodbye drivers. Yes! I may now consider one.

Alexdad54

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2012, 11:24 am »
Its out now. Whos pulling the trigger?

Who's selling it and for how much?

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2012, 11:53 pm »
Sorry to be a computer dunce here, but why would I need one of these between my Mac and my USB Dac? Will this improve my sound? And why?

jeffh

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:55 am »
Two possible reasons are:

1) Some USB input on some DAC will not support 24/92 or 24/192 files.  So you use this to go from the computer USB to the DAC S/PDIF.
2) The USB on some DAC's may not be that good. So use this to bypass the DAC USB.

Aleg

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2012, 08:18 pm »
Sorry to be a computer dunce here, but why would I need one of these between my Mac and my USB Dac? Will this improve my sound? And why?

It will generate the spdif signal using a very stable oscilator. Computer mobo's are lousy in generating a well-clocked spdif signal.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio

Alexdad54

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm »
Thanks!
It's also now showing up on US sites: http://davidmichaelaudio.com/m2tech-hiface-two-usb-to-spdif-converter/

They're listing it at US$179.

According to Enjoy The Music, "hiFace improved the audio performance over the original hiFace by a new output circuit compliant with S/PDIF levels and linear regulators in place of switching ones and a clickless operation even when skipping tracks"

Sounds intriguing....

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2012, 03:48 pm »
Goodbye drivers. Yes! I may now consider one.

Drivers still needed for Windows users. :(

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2012, 05:29 pm »
Who's selling it and for how much?
Another source for both the original & the new one -    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=m2tech+hiface&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Am2tech+hiface&ajr=0

Drivers still needed for Windows users. :(
They have drivers for Windows, just depends on what player program you are using. The Owner's Manual provides driver links for Kernel Streaming which is noted as more stable than Direct Sound, including one from a 3rd party for XP using Winamp or Media Monkey (same program, different skin).

I got the original a couple of weeks ago just to stick my toes in the water. While I've since had some stability issues with XP Pro (not while playing), the sound is impressive playing stored files from my external USB drives to the portable/laptop out via the M2Tech to my coax DAC to my system using Media Monkey. I'll be interested to see if the new version resolves some of the issues, as the system still doesn't like something with the Kernel driver disabled. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet and isolate the issue, but a promising alternative if you are thinking of going digital to a degree.

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:06 pm »
New one is worth every penny.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:13 pm »
New one is worth every penny.

Thanks for the tip. Debated on which way to go when I got the original model, figured it would always give me a backup if I decided to go down that road. Haven't spent that much time in this circle so can you say what OS you're running ? Can I take it you had the first one, and did you have any issues ? Any info/advice is appreciated.  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:29 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Debated on which way to go when I got the original model, figured it would always give me a backup if I decided to go down that road. Haven't spend that much time in this circle so can you say what OS you're running ? Can I take it you had the first one, and did you have any issues ? Any info/advice is appreciated.  :thumb:

I use Windows 8. Had the first one a long time ago, but did not care for it. Upper mids were hard - a common complaint. No issues operationally. New one is my favortite usb/spdif converter so far (have used original Hiface, Terlink X2, MF V-link, Audio-GD DI).

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:09 pm »
Another source for both the original & the new one -    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=m2tech+hiface&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Am2tech+hiface&ajr=0
They have drivers for Windows, just depends on what player program you are using. The Owner's Manual provides driver links for Kernel Streaming which is noted as more stable than Direct Sound, including one from a 3rd party for XP using Winamp or Media Monkey (same program, different skin).

I got the original a couple of weeks ago just to stick my toes in the water. While I've since had some stability issues with XP Pro (not while playing), the sound is impressive playing stored files from my external USB drives to the portable/laptop out via the M2Tech to my coax DAC to my system using Media Monkey. I'll be interested to see if the new version resolves some of the issues, as the system still doesn't like something with the Kernel driver disabled. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet and isolate the issue, but a promising alternative if you are thinking of going digital to a degree.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply drivers weren't available, just that for Windows users you still have to download/install a driver just like for the original hiFace.

I enjoy my original hiFace very much, so I'm not too inclined at this point to replace it with the newer version.