SongCenter without Sub - How to set for HT?

ckullmann1

SongCenter without Sub - How to set for HT?
« on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:19 am »
I have Songtowers with a Songcenter and in-ceiling surrounds for my HT set-up.  I don't have a sub.  My Audyssey set all three front speakers to Large, but I've noticed that the Songcenter makes a clicky (<-not sure how to best describe it!) sound when the very low bass is sent to the center.  The problem goes away when I set the center to Small.  Is this the recommended setting?  Am I losing anything in doing this given that I don't have a sub?  In other words, is the low bass information that was being sent to the center when it was set to Large lost without a sub or does it get re-routed to the L/R's?  FYI, I have a Marantz SR7005 AV receiver. Thank you for your help.

Nuance

Re: SongCenter without Sub - How to set for HT?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2012, 02:44 pm »
I would think it gets sent to the mains since they are set to full range and you have no subwoofer, but I cannot be sure.  Does the SR7005 manual mention anything about it?

kip_

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2012, 02:54 pm »
I wonder if the woofers are bottoming out to really long excursion? I would notice on my MF7s - a before I added sub and was running 2.0, with extremely deep bass that the woofers would move visibly 2-3". Lower bass notes require more excursion and more power to reproduce.

Does this happen at all volume levels or just loud ones?

With LFE, all of the information in the LFE channel (the .1 in 5.1) goes to the subwoofer, as well as any frequencies less than the crossover frequencies for ALL channels.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:49 pm »
I have Songtowers with a Songcenter and in-ceiling surrounds for my HT set-up.  I don't have a sub.  My Audyssey set all three front speakers to Large, but I've noticed that the Songcenter makes a clicky (<-not sure how to best describe it!) sound when the very low bass is sent to the center.  The problem goes away when I set the center to Small.  Is this the recommended setting?  Am I losing anything in doing this given that I don't have a sub?  In other words, is the low bass information that was being sent to the center when it was set to Large lost without a sub or does it get re-routed to the L/R's?  FYI, I have a Marantz SR7005 AV receiver. Thank you for your help.

Sounds like the woofers in the center channel are bottoming out.  Frankly, there aren't too many center channels that can handle full range material.

I would think that setting the center channel to "Small" your AVR would route the center channel bass to the L&R speakers set to "Large", but I'm not familiar with that AVR.

ckullmann1

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:15 am »
Maybe I misspoke -- the problem is still there (although to a lesser degree) if I set the center to Small.   If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'll have to read up more carefully on the settings. In any case, thanks for your thoughts.

ratso

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:56 am »
did you run the auto audyssey set-up with the test tones?

ckullmann1

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:41 am »
Yes, I ran the test tones.  The Audyssey run set the Songcenter to Large.  I've now changed it to Small and I had the crossover set to 80.  As mentioned above, I don't have a sub and the manual suggests the low bass should be re-routed to the fronts.  I was still hearing the "clicking" with the Xover at 80.  What would the crossover typically be set at for a Songcenter? Thx.

Gzerro

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:41 am »
Yes, I ran the test tones.  The Audyssey run set the Songcenter to Large.  I've now changed it to Small and I had the crossover set to 80.  As mentioned above, I don't have a sub and the manual suggests the low bass should be re-routed to the fronts.  I was still hearing the "clicking" with the Xover at 80.  What would the crossover typically be set at for a Songcenter? Thx.

According to the Salk Website, the Songcenters -3db point is 45Hz, but with no sub, I would think "full range" would be recommended setting, or maybe -50Hz if you want to route some bass to the L/R. The SongTowers don't go much lower, just 42Hz -3db point.

How loud are you playing when the "clicking" noise happens? -  I have never heard my Center make that sort of noise crossed over at 60Hz or 80Hz. For movies I usually listen at -15db or so, which seems pretty loud to me.

Also, do you have the Song Center mounted in a cabinet, or on a stand? I am wondering if you are getting some sort of rattling if it is mounted in in a cabinet.

ckullmann1

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:17 pm »
I have the volume at about -2 db or slightly louder when I hear it.  I have to check when I get home, but I think I can hear it at lower volumes as well.  I noticed in Avatar when the black catlike monster chases the lead character through the forest in the early part of the movie.

The Songcenter sits on a wooden Pottery Barn tv stand (Logan).  I'd be surprised if the clicking is from vibrations.  I have to play around with it more, but I hope it's not a problem with my Songcenter.

milford3

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:03 pm »
My advice is to throw the Audyssey out the door and set the speakers manualy.  Just trust your ears.  Set the speakers to small and just listen.  Then to large and again just listen.  This may take some time but it's worth it.  If the proplem persits then the SongCenter might be bad.  Also check your speaker connections.  One little strain wire can cause a lot of headaches.

Gzerro

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »
I have the volume at about -2 db or slightly louder when I hear it. 

-2db is pretty loud, and my guess is that you may be bottoming out the woofer. That may just be louder than it can take without a sub. That would translate to 83+db average which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but the peaks during action scenes will be up to 108+db in movies.

My advice at this point would be to call Jim and have him confirm, and also have him give you some tips to check if your speaker is damaged.

Good Luck! Tom

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:37 pm »
Maybe I misspoke -- the problem is still there (although to a lesser degree) if I set the center to Small.   If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'll have to read up more carefully on the settings. In any case, thanks for your thoughts.

Hmmm.......probably not woofer bottoming out then.

I would call Jim Salk for help.

coke

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:42 pm »
Is there a reason you can't have a sub?

You could get something like a rythmik fv12 for around $500 and set all your speakers to small with the crossovers around 70 Hz.  You'd gain low end extension and output, and you'd most likely solve the issue with your center channel.

opnly bafld

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:48 pm »
:
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2012, 12:27 am by opnly bafld »

fishinbob

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:02 pm »
Have you tried swapping the center with one of the mains? That should help to confirm that the noise is related to the speaker itself.
I run the crap out of my Songcenter with no problems, though mostly with MCH music, occasionally crossing as low as 50hz but typically at 80.