Av1 rs for music/radio

django11

• Canuckistani
Av1 rs for music/radio
« on: 10 Mar 2012, 03:23 pm »
I'm thinking of doing something better in our kitchen/dining room area for morning radio/ decent music.  The room is about 10x32.  Right now I have some small Radio Shack speakers mounted on the wall about 2/3 into the room.  The speakers need to be wall mounted and small for Waf (and dare I say Haf ?).  I might be able to conceal a sub somewhere.  How would the AV1 rs do?

Danny Richie

Re: Av1 rs for music/radio
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2012, 04:22 pm »
Actually the A/V-1RS is great for ambient music. They can be very room filling.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2012, 05:06 pm »
Would putting them much closer to the ceiling, like 6 inches,  be very detrimental to the sound quality?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2012, 06:11 pm »
Would putting them much closer to the ceiling, like 6 inches,  be very detrimental to the sound quality?

Yeah, that will cause some peaks and dips.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2012, 09:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll consider my options.

cody69

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2012, 11:53 pm »
I was in a very similar situation... and kitchen-dining room area of similar size as yours that I wanted to introduce some decent audio. Because it's a dining room, I was never going to get away with traditional speakers, stands, etc. So based on other reviews I read I bought the AV1-RS kit and have been very happy with them.

You can read the thread and see some pics of the construction at http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100969.0

If you can sneak in a sub, I think you'll be very happy.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2012, 02:25 am »
Nice job!

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2012, 05:57 pm »
The av-1rs look nice and don't draw a lot of attention to themselves. I ran them as mains when I was breaking them in and they sound nice for ambient music.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2012, 01:25 pm »
Well they are larger than I thought and I have pretty low ceilings (8ft).  So the 16 inch from the ceiling requirement plus the 12inch height is going to bring this one foot square box into  conflict with artwork we have up.  What with windows, archways, furniture, and art I just can't see how to fit these speakers.  Presently we have some boxed speakers up closer to the ceiling and these don't interfere with anything.  I will need something along the lines of the av123 525s or preferably smaller size wise and around the price of the AV1s  :D.

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:11 pm »
Ah, I have 8-10' vaulted ceilings so that makes a big difference in noticeability. Doesn't sound like they will work for you.

edit: can you mount them on the ceiling 16" from the wall?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2012, 01:04 pm »
I suppose I could mount them on the ceiling but...  I won't.  I'm going to let this idea ferment a bit...

I'm going to make some x-omnis over the week end to keep my mind off of this   :green:...

dvenardos

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:45 am »
Danny, did you make any crossovers upgrades for the Axiom onwall speakers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:23 pm »
Danny, did you make any crossovers upgrades for the Axiom onwall speakers?

No. I don't think those would be worth the effort. I'd start over.

A design like that really doesn't work in that it just scatters bits and pieces around the room with large ranges of peaks and dips from cancellation effects. From no where in the room can you measure an output that looks anything like the input signal. I'd avoid such designs.

pureiso

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:27 pm »
Maybe a decent in wall speaker may be a good bet.  Or better yet, make the wall the sealed cabinet while using the LS-X Encore kit.  .5 cubic feet sealed.  :lol:

Half sarcastic, and half thinking this would be a fun experiment.