RIP Firesign Theatre's Peter Bergman 1939-2012

dB Cooper

RIP Firesign Theatre's Peter Bergman 1939-2012
« on: 10 Mar 2012, 12:40 am »
 RIP Peter Bergman of The Firesign Theatre, whose work it is still impossible to capture in a catchphrase- surrealistic audio theatre, loosely based on oldies radio broadcast styles, is as close as I can get. A brilliant comic mind and equally brilliant voice characterizations. One of the most brilliant comedians you probably never heard of. Their work made me look at the absurdities of life in a completely different way. Complications of leukemia.

In the words of Gary the Seeker from 'Everything You Know Is Wrong!': Seek out.... Speak out!

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
Re: RIP Firesign Theatre's Peter Bergman 1939-2012
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2012, 12:45 am »
RIP Peter Bergman of The Firesign Theatre, whose work it is still impossible to capture in a catchphrase- surrealistic audio theatre, loosely based on oldies radio broadcast styles, is as close as I can get. A brilliant comic mind and equally brilliant voice characterizations. One of the most brilliant comedians you probably never heard of. Their work made me look at the absurdities of life in a completely different way. Complications of leukemia.

In the words of Gary the Seeker from 'Everything You Know Is Wrong!': Seek out.... Speak out!

Finally got to Goshen, I guess...they were all bozos on that bus, and they were GREAT bozos! 

If St Pete isn't waiting for him with a stack of albums to sign, he's missed a trick!

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:08 am »
"He's no fun, he fell right over."

Man, those guys sure gave out some laughs along the funway, and I wish Peter's soul the best he can get at this point of life.

Sorry to hear, truly.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:11 am »
He has been in every one of my posts for years (signature line), and I will miss him forever.  Born in my hometown of Cleveland, OH.....

Shoes For Industry, compadre!   :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:21 am »
... and off to Ralph Spoilsport Motors. His art and crazy humor will be missed.

Lyndon

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:26 am »
Will miss him.  I had all the albums, but my favorite was the fake radio drama, "Nick Danger, Third Eye"
Danger, "What kind of chump do you take me for!"
Rococo, "First Class!"

drgn95

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:37 am »
Don't forget :"Don't crush that dwarf had me the pliers", my personal favorite along with " How can you be in two places at once when your not anywhere at all"    :lol:

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:47 am »
"Dwarf/Pliers" was my favorite too, along with Two Places, Bozos, In The Next World You're On Your Own ("Eat fascist death, flaming media pigs!") and all the rest come to think of it... Including his duo album with Phil Proctor, "TV or not TV".
 Love that cracking-voice falsetto he did ("Hey, Porge, where ya gonna graduate FROM???!?!?!?")
I was lucky to have seen them live, on their 25th Anniversary Tour.
"...Two Places" is one of the greatest album covers of all time imho

drgn95

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:00 am »
"Waiting for the electrician, or someone like him" was what got me started ..... :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:07 am »
Giant Toad Supermarket!

Attention all money savers in the Richmond-Syracuse tri-city area, and all you wonderful people out on Ed Siegelman's Ground Zero Equal Opportunity Apartments! Yes, our manager Darwin Paul has opened up his pants early this Christmas to let you in for the biggest in UNHEALABLE, DEEP-CUT DISCOUNTS!

Now! Aglutenated beans, giant and hypo-sized, two for 47 cents.... Ma Rainey's Moleskin Cookies, buy the tin at $1.87. Save on peach pits, this week only, see our boy at the back! Dull food for the doggie? Well doggone it, we've got all six varieties of Martyrdom Kidney and Beef Awful! Talk to Charlie Kranepool (Ed's dad) at our liquor department, about choice USDA Bourbon and Rumproast Cocktail Party Mix! Last and least, there's plenty of seasick fresh produce at our vegetable counter. Don't worry about the flies, we won't weigh 'em! So, wary shoppers, take the lift out of life, and drop your load on The Giant Toad! We give double discounted MULTIPLE IDENTITY STAMPS!

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:10 am »

The flag will be flying at half-mast tommorow at More-Science High in his honour...

D.D.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:21 am »
It's really amazing how much of their lingo crept into our daily lives....my wife and I always refer to our dogs "paws that refreshes".  Or silly comments like "hey, you broke the president" or "everyone knew her as Nancy" (a Beatle and FT combo).   I guess we are all a little younger (and older) today as we reminisce on one of our Dear Friends passing on.  Half mast at More-Science for sure...!

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:26 am »
"There's nothing left but the FLAGPOLE!"

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:39 am »
And, of course, a moment of silence at Stinking Desert National Indian Monument and Cobalt Testing Range!

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:43 am »
And of course "if you lived here you'd be home by now". Drives my wife crazy.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:44 am »
Here is the last minute of Peter "on the air", from his Super Tuesday "Radio Free Oz" podcast:

http://www.firesigntheatre.com/peterbergman/pbsignoff.mp3

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:51 am »
If St Pete isn't waiting for him with a stack of albums to sign, he's missed a trick!

Peter will be surprised as he is Jewish. I was proud to have graduated from  Shaker Hts High as he did. Please pass the hot, buttered groat clusters.

DeadFish

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:54 am »
Thanks for that dB! 

So much of this stuff rolling in my head tonight, as so much got stuck before.
Memories it took a lifetime to build and collect.  Thanks for sharing, everyone and helping me burp this stuff up for myself. 

What great stuff!

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:56 am »
Peter will be surprised as he is Jewish. I was proud to have graduated from  Shaker Hts High as he did. Please pass the hot, buttered groat clusters.

So was Pete!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2012, 06:15 am »
A true loss, will miss him deeply.  My favorite:

Temporarily Humboldt County

An American Pageant For Thanksgiving
Adapted From Ancient Moqui Hearsay.......

Pax vneuti nicutm! down on your knees, now! D'ye recognize what I'm holidn' over your head, lads?
It's a Cross. The Symbol of the Quartering of the Universe into Active and Passive Principles.
God have mercy on their heathen souls!
What the Father means is - what is the Cross made of? Gold! Have you got any?
No.
What about the Seven Cities of Gold? Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas?
This is Gold.
What's that?
Corn.
Corn! Now we can make tortillas!
We been waiting for this for hundreds of years!
I just invented tacos!