Hello Everyone,

Here's a link to my just-posted review of the Audioengine D1

http://www.avguide.com/review/audioengine-d1-dacheadphone-amp-playback-54

It's a remarkable value.

medium jim

Re: Audioengine D1 Review
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2012, 04:09 pm »
Hi Steven:

You still hitting the Vintage Guitar Shows?  I stopped the traveling about 5 years ago. 

Jim
aka "Big Jim"

P.S. Didn't know you posted here, still think you were a bit harsh in your review of the Marantz Model 9 VAC Reissues in the Sept 97 Stereophile Mag!!!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:24 am »
Technically this should be moved over into the Review circle, but it's so perfectly C&C that I'm leaving it here until somebody higher than me objects.  I really like the review, well done and descriptive with excellent comparisons.  But I want more.  Maybe Steve or somebody else can chime in with how this unit compares with some other contenders that may be a little higher priced, but still C&C, Grant Fidelity, Bifrost, DacMagic, Aune, etc.

Also personally I have an issue with, quote from the review:
Look further if:

•   You need a USB DAC that also has a Coaxial S/PDIF input or a digital output.
•   You require a DAC capable of 192/24.
•   You want a DAC with multiple analog outputs.

I've always had a prejudice against optical cable.  Help me dispel or confirm that I want a DAC with coaxial input.  Do I need a USB capable of higher than 96khz?  I see a lot of companies planning or presently dispersing higher rez formats, is this a wave of the future that will make 96khz USB DACs obsolete?  And I like to get rid of a preamp, so multiple analog outputs would be convenient, but I don't have that now.   

brj

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:39 am »
Quote from: Letitroll98
Technically this should be moved over into the Review circle

Sorry for the slight thread detour, but just to clarify... if you're referring to the Critic's Circles, we're looking for reviews written by AC members and posted on AC, rather that links to professional reviews posted on other sites.

Again, pardon the OT post - feel free to delete should you desire.  Thanks!

wushuliu

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2012, 03:43 pm »
Just ordered one...thanks for help in PM Wushuliu, and great review Steve.

This will be a great little DAC for my headphone amp.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2012, 05:24 pm »
This DAC is the real deal. The sound is so good I'm questioning whether I'm losing my mind lol. This may be the perfect DAC for a headphone rig. It's built like a little tank, the connectivity was spot-on, and it sounded fantastic whether I was running an optical connection from my Oppo player or using the USB connection from my iTunes library on my laptop.

Audioengine is becoming one of my favorite companies...I have enjoyed their A2 powered speakers for two years now, and this little DAC is just amazing for the price.
 :thumb:

Steven Stone

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2012, 07:48 pm »
Hello Medium Jim - Since RMAF falls on the same weekend as the Arlington Guitar Show, I've haven't been to Texas for a show.

I'm going to be reviewing other "entry level" DACs for Playback, and I'll be comparing them to the Audio Engine D1.

As for Toslink, it is the most elegant way to make sure you have complete Galvanic isolation. For the review I used the USB most of the time since galvanic noise wan't an issue.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2012, 03:49 pm »
I purchased one of these in June.  It has been very lightly used, about two weeks as I preferred my HRT Streamer.  It is now dead :duh:.  I hope I can get my Canadian reseller to honor the warranty...

persisting1

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2012, 06:17 am »
Mr. Stone,

How does the DI compare to the HRT Steamer II?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2012, 06:53 am »
I've always had a prejudice against optical cable.  Help me dispel or confirm that I want a DAC with coaxial input.  Do I need a USB capable of higher than 96khz?  I see a lot of companies planning or presently dispersing higher rez formats, is this a wave of the future that will make 96khz USB DACs obsolete?  And I like to get rid of a preamp, so multiple analog outputs would be convenient, but I don't have that now.

I know you're question was directed towards Mr. Stone, but will throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth.

After using both Apple TV's & Airport Express & MAC Mini as streamers via optical to my DAC, none produced as good results as coax digital.  The AE is supposed to be "bit perfect" as well - at least w/ the volume all the way up. I used the best glass optical cable I could find as well. Even a cheapo $15 optical to coax digital sounded better than the best optical only.

My theory is that even though optical should have the advantage vs coax digital, perhaps there just aren't "high end / audiophile" grade optical receiver / transmitters & associated chips.  I.e. unfortunately it's just a digital audio format that just never received the attention that coax digital received - and now with USB becoming more popular, probably won't (?)

I'm personally don't think USB limited at @ 96khz is such a big deal.  I mean, how much material is there anyway at +96khz?  Secondly, many DACs (including the Bel Canto 1.5 I use) upsample (in my case to 192khz) all incoming material.  So why bother upsampling it a the source side?  Just leave it at 44khz or whatever the native rate.

I also would like to see more products that are DACs / digital preamps / w/ analog inputs.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2012, 07:15 am »
My theory is that even though optical should have the advantage vs coax digital, perhaps there just aren't "high end / audiophile" grade optical receiver / transmitters & associated chips.  I.e. unfortunately it's just a digital audio format that just never received the attention that coax digital received - and now with USB becoming more popular, probably won't (?)

Well, optical has an advantage in providing isolation from noise and ground problems, but it is an extra conversion process or "layer" on top of the electrical S/PDIF.  The electrical digital signal has to be converted to light pulses, transmitted over the optical fiber cable, received on the other end, then converted back to an electrical signal.

I agree on both of your thoughts - (a) the precision of the Toslink optical transmitters and receivers are questionable and (b) I wouldn't expect any revision of the existing Toslink specs as it's "good enough" for most consumer applications.

Does that mean that Toslink sounds bad?  No, but in most of the components that have provided both digital connection types, the coaxial connection seemed to have a bit more focused and precise sound.

Steve

Steven Stone

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2012, 03:09 pm »
SRB's comment on Toslink mirror my own.

Most times S/PDIF Coax will beat Toslink, but occasionally when galvanic isolation is absolutely necessary Toslink can deliver better results. I haven't had this happen in over a year with any system I've assembled, but it's nice to have the Toslink option available...

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2012, 04:39 pm »
My question is how does it compare to the Audioquest Dragonfly?

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2012, 06:22 pm »
My question is how does it compare to the Audioquest Dragonfly?

Having looked over many threads on cheap USB DAC's, I can't remember who said what but what I remember is that about 3 people said - not comparing all at once - the best sounding ones were -

1) the Dragonfly ($250)
2) the JDLabs ODAC - ($99 without case - $155 with. Though there's some guy who makes an acrylic case for $20  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/220114-cases-odac-bamboo-acrylic.html)
 adydula here on AC said he couldn't hear a difference from the $350 HRT Streamer II+
3) Audioengine D1

I have the ODAC and it's really good.
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2012, 09:21 pm by charmerci »