Bad news for high bit rate fans.

*Scotty*

Re: Bad news for high bit rate fans.
« Reply #120 on: 11 Mar 2012, 08:31 pm »
Here is a link to the AES paper by Lipshitz and Vanderkooy which discusses the SACD medium's technical limitations and flaws which probably contributed to audiobats desertion from the ranks of SACD users. http://sjeng.org/ftp/SACD.pdf
 The downward intermodulation distortion problem mentioned in the Xiph.Org article is a paper tiger argument. Bandwidth limiting a recording system merely to avoid a potential problem which can be handled on a case by case basis is a poor reason to cripple a recording medium. As the author so succinctly puts it "You can't and won't have ultrasonic intermodulation distortion in the audible band if there's no ultrasonic content."
 audiobat's decision embrace the past is fine for him, but it in no way affects my desire to take advantage of music offered 24/96 and 24/192 formats.
Ironically his dissatisfaction with SACD may have been due to in part noise intermodulation artifacts present as a consequence of SACD's aggressive noise shaping and miserable ultrasonic signal to noise ratio. If you effectively suppress the ultrasonic noise you are left with phase shift in the audio band from the filtering. There is no free lunch.
Scotty

Freo-1

« Reply #121 on: 11 Mar 2012, 08:56 pm »
Here is a link to the AES paper by Lipshitz and Vanderkooy which discusses the SACD medium's technical limitations and flaws which probably contributed to audiobats desertion from the ranks of SACD users. http://sjeng.org/ftp/SACD.pdf
 The downward intermodulation distortion problem mentioned in the Xiph.Org article is a paper tiger argument. Bandwidth limiting a recording system merely to avoid a potential problem which can be handled on a case by case basis is a poor reason to cripple a recording medium. As the author so succinctly puts it "You can't and won't have ultrasonic intermodulation distortion in the audible band if there's no ultrasonic content."
 audiobat's decision embrace the past is fine for him, but it in no way affects my desire to take advantage of music offered 24/96 and 24/192 formats.
Ironically his dissatisfaction with SACD may have been due to in part noise intermodulation artifacts present as a consequence of SACD's aggressive noise shaping and miserable ultrasonic signal to noise ratio. If you effectively suppress the ultrasonic noise you are left with phase shift in the audio band from the filtering. There is no free lunch.
Scotty

+1.

I'm quite happy with SACD using both Modwright Oppo BD-83SE solid state and BD-95 with the tube mod.

Regading the discussions about the math involved, think it's safe to say that SACD and DVD-A sound better than CD, primarily due the limitations of actual CD playback hardware vs. SACD/DVD-A hardware.  The SACD and DVD-A hardware can get the analog waveform closer to the source, as it has more data to work with.  It is pretty easy to hear the difference in most cases. 

I have a growing SACD collection of mostly classical recordings.  I much prefer the SACD to vinyl, as vinyl has both noise and compression issues no amout of hyperbole will cover up. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #122 on: 11 Mar 2012, 09:11 pm »
 :lol:

You said Lipshitz.

:rotflmao:

trebejo

« Reply #123 on: 11 Mar 2012, 09:11 pm »
Regading the discussions about the math involved, think it's safe to say that SACD and DVD-A sound better than CD, primarily due the limitations of actual CD playback hardware vs. SACD/DVD-A hardware.  The SACD and DVD-A hardware can get the analog waveform closer to the source, as it has more data to work with.  It is pretty easy to hear the difference in most cases. 

Then there's a bad DAC stage. What the math discussion is all about is the simple proposition that there is enough information in a 44khz sampling rate to accurately convey all information up to 20khz.

A good DAC will not have that problem. A good DAC stage, with a good output stage and that's that.

Freo-1

« Reply #124 on: 11 Mar 2012, 09:31 pm »
Then there's a bad DAC stage. What the math discussion is all about is the simple proposition that there is enough information in a 44khz sampling rate to accurately convey all information up to 20khz.

A good DAC will not have that problem. A good DAC stage, with a good output stage and that's that.

It's a wee bit more involved in that.  The real Achilles heel is the digital filtering. Why is it more and more the DAC's keep increasing in bit length? (The SABRE DAC is an excellent example).

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf

The short answer is: Digital filtering.

I've looked into this, and the reconstruction of the digital audio stream back into an analog waveform is a LOT more difficult to do correctly than it appear on the surface.  The new DACs such as the SABRE 32 bit series moves the field far forward from a older 16 bit DAC and filtering setup. 

Don't forget about jitter, which creates its own set of problems.

amitm

« Reply #125 on: 11 Mar 2012, 09:45 pm »
It's a wee bit more involved in that.  The real Achilles heel is the digital filtering. Why is it more and more the DAC's keep increasing in bit length? (The SABRE DAC is an excellent example).

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf

The short answer is: Digital filtering.

I've looked into this, and the reconstruction of the digital audio stream back into an analog waveform is a LOT more difficult to do correctly than it appear on the surface.  The new DACs such as the SABRE 32 bit series moves the field far forward from a older 16 bit DAC and filtering setup. 

Don't forget about jitter, which creates its own set of problems.

Aha! And one cannot do better there (digital filtering) than one can do on a server/computer. 64-bit floating point math is a huge overkill for audio, but comes for (almost) free with modern CPUs. Hence, my belief in oversampling and maybe even equalization (OMG!) in software and feeding to a competent DAC with a good driving stage.

At the end, however, mastering will be the final arbiter. And over that you have minimal control, I think.

--amit

trebejo

« Reply #126 on: 11 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm »
Yes, and once you're done with all the lossy digital filtering and processing at the mastering level and you're ready to ship out the music for the listener, you do some straightforward interpolation, cut the 192khz sampling down to 44khz and in the 0-20khz range there will be no information loss. That's the theorem.

If your DAC really wants to see 4N sampling inside itself then it can internally upsample your N sampling rate, fitz around with it, then downsample it before sending it back out.

If your DAC stage does not do a good job of that then you get a better DAC stage. If someone is ready to suggest that the current DAC stages do not do a good job of that then I'm all ears but there needs to be some concrete evidence of that, instead of "I can just hear it". The folks that make ic chips work to spec and if they screw it up then, in principle, said screwup can be measured and improved upon.

The problem is that there seems to be some synergy between not understanding the theorem and hearing something that contradicts it. You can dance around the theorem all you want but it's a theorem, it's not going anywhere. All the information required to fully reproduce N hz is available by sampling up to 2N hz. If your device is not availing itself of all that information then the device can be improved until it does; upsampling will not add any useful information.

The other wild goose chase is about how we hear better if the stuff up around 40khz or so is available. Well that takes care of any significant listening distance from the soundstage, such as the several hundred feet that separate some very happy listeners from the conductor at the Disney here in L.A. whenever I go to hear the symphony. It also takes care of all those centuries of measuring human hearing that indicate that 20khz is pretty much what you're going to get.

Someday our pets will learn how to play the synthesizer and make up their own music and they will certainly demand that octave between 20khz and 40khz. When that day comes, we will have to accomodate them.

I'm not going to argue with anyone that they don't hear what they say they hear, that is a difficult path to put it mildly. But theorems are theorems for very good, airtight reasons.

avahifi

« Reply #127 on: 11 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm »
I would like some of the owners of our Vision DACs or our new Fet Valve DAC to try an experiment for me.

Move the little black jumper on the digital DAC board to the connected position.  The jumper is now mounted on just one of the pins as a convenient storage place.  All you need to do is pull it straight out and reinstall it connecting both jumper pins.

Now listen to any of your source music at any bit rate and let me know here if you hear any difference.  Of course the difference will be obvious on 192/24 material as without the jumper installed, that will not play at all.  I am interested in what difference you hear on either standard Redbook or 96/24 material with the jumper connected.

Of course make the jumper change with the unit unplugged from the AC power line!

Thanks,

Frank

Freo-1

« Reply #128 on: 11 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm »
Yes, and once you're done with all the lossy digital filtering and processing at the mastering level and you're ready to ship out the music for the listener, you do some straightforward interpolation, cut the 192khz sampling down to 44khz and in the 0-20khz range there will be no information loss. That's the theorem.

If your DAC really wants to see 4N sampling inside itself then it can internally upsample your N sampling rate, fitz around with it, then downsample it before sending it back out.

If your DAC stage does not do a good job of that then you get a better DAC stage. If someone is ready to suggest that the current DAC stages do not do a good job of that then I'm all ears but there needs to be some concrete evidence of that, instead of "I can just hear it". The folks that make ic chips work to spec and if they screw it up then, in principle, said screwup can be measured and improved upon.

The problem is that there seems to be some synergy between not understanding the theorem and hearing something that contradicts it. You can dance around the theorem all you want but it's a theorem, it's not going anywhere. All the information required to fully reproduce N hz is available by sampling up to 2N hz. If your device is not availing itself of all that information then the device can be improved until it does; upsampling will not add any useful information.

The other wild goose chase is about how we hear better if the stuff up around 40khz or so is available. Well that takes care of any significant listening distance from the soundstage, such as the several hundred feet that separate some very happy listeners from the conductor at the Disney here in L.A. whenever I go to hear the symphony. It also takes care of all those centuries of measuring human hearing that indicate that 20khz is pretty much what you're going to get.

Someday our pets will learn how to play the synthesizer and make up their own music and they will certainly demand that octave between 20khz and 40khz. When that day comes, we will have to accomodate them.

I'm not going to argue with anyone that they don't hear what they say they hear, that is a difficult path to put it mildly. But theorems are theorems for very good, airtight reasons.

There is another part to this that is being overlooked.

Set aside the arguments about the frequency extension and noise floor (as well as the caustic comments about pets playing music), and the issue that remains is the one of the reconstruction of the analog waveform from the digital bit stream.

From Wikipeda:

What is a 'bit' of data?  “In computing parlance, bit is the abbreviation for a single binary digit, represented by a 0 or a 1. A word is a binary number with more than one digit. Binary numerics are base-2; thus, each digit can only be a 0 or a 1. In comparison, traditional decimal numerics are base-10, having digits that can only be 0 through 9. For example, the 16-bit binary number 0110111110111010 is equivalent to the 5-digit decimal number 28602. The number of bits per word is simply how many digits there are in the corresponding number. The words in commonly used PCM digital audio formats are 8, 16 or 24 bits long. Larger words have higher resolution. The resolution of a 16-bit system can be calculated by using 216 which gives a value of 65,536. A 24 bit system (224) has a resolution of 16,777,216.”

Calculating values  An audio file's bit rate can be calculated given sufficient information. Given any three of the following four values, the fourth can be calculated.
Bit rate = (sampling rate) x (bit depth) x (number of channels)
E.g., for a recording with a 44.1 kHz sampling rate, a 16 bit depth, and 2 channels (stereo):
44100 x 16 x 2 = 1411200 bits per second, or 1411.2 kbit/s
The eventual file size of an audio recording can also be calculated using a similar formula:
File Size (Bytes) = (sampling rate) x (bit depth) x (number of channels) x (seconds) / 8
E.g., a 70 minutes long CD quality recording will take up 740880000 Bytes, or 740MB:
44100 x 16 x 2 x 4200 / 8 = 740880000 Bytes

The reconstruction of the analog waveform between the extremes of frequency response and dynamic range is why SACD and DVD audio should, can, and does sound better than CD.  There is “more information” to reconstruct the waveform.

Check out the following:

http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/digital_audio/chapter5_rate2.shtml

Also, the analog smoothing is at play here:  From the indiana.edu website:

" Because the output of a DAC creates a staircase wave (as in the sampling rate diagram of the previous module) instead of a smoother analog one, a smoothing (lowpass) filter tuned to the sampling rate acts to reduce the sharpness of those steps and the unwanted frequencies they can produce. The reason some super high-end audio applications have gone to not only 24-bits, but also to a 96K or 192K sampling rate is to make sure the roll-off of those filters—and the ADC anti-aliasing filters—are not in the audio range at all."

Rclark

« Reply #129 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:45 am »

Despite all this conversation against it, Redbook looks like it has quite a lot of untapped potential, if utilized properly, to the point where it can stand with supposedly better formats. This has been an eye opener.

Until the day comes when these newer formats convincingly defeat the cd, I'm keeping my player and just upgrading everything else around it.

Freo-1

« Reply #130 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:57 am »
Despite all this conversation against it, Redbook looks like it has quite a lot of untapped potential, if utilized properly, to the point where it can stand with supposedly better formats. This has been an eye opener.

Until the day comes when these newer formats convincingly defeat the cd, I'm keeping my player and just upgrading everything else around it.

They (higher res) do have better sound than CD. 

Simply find someplace where this can be demonstrated.  It's not hard to hear the difference, but one needs to be exposed to a good hi-res setup. 

I can assure you that, for example, a ModWright Oppo with SACD or DVD Audio will sound better than just about any CD setup available, regardless of cost.   

It's a bit like digital photos.  One cannot add what is not there to start with.  CD cannot add the enhanced resoultion that SACD or DVD_A  has available.

Rclark

« Reply #131 on: 12 Mar 2012, 01:00 am »

What I meant by that was, once recording studios or whoever is responsible, actually begins taking advantage on a mass scale.

However, if newfound studio knowledge can make redbook sound just as good, or nearly so, then I'll stick with that for some time to come.

DustyC

« Reply #132 on: 12 Mar 2012, 01:53 am »
Interesting article. I couldn't help but laugh about the author's suggestion that SACD's sound better because they used superior source material in the 1st place. Well,... duh, most high priced steakhouses don't get their beef from McDonalds.
I have a couple of SACD's that make me wonder why they even bothered. I liked the music on them but they're not that great soundwise.
I have a few redbook CD's that were mastered with some process called K2. Sounded very good to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they started with great quality masters.

audiobat

« Reply #133 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:23 pm »
Seriously, again with this $500 tape thing? The tapes are not $500, I discount anything said on the subject of R2R master tapes by anyone who starts off with that stock myth.
I have done some research on this and it looks like there are new labels getting into master tapes and will be over 100 titles available.
Will master tapes be my only source component, no I will still have a turntable.
Not abandoning music just digital music.

I have heard master tapes at two shows for extended periods, probably 6 to even 8 hours and it is different. Some things I heard like Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus, Waltz for Debbie, Suite Espanola, I've listened to this music on CD, SACD, Vinyl even 45 rpm and there was no comparison. Even on systems I am not familiar with I could easily tell this was better than anything I had experienced.

Good advice, I will be sure to buy a proper deck that won't eat my "not $500" tapes.  :wink:

TONEPUB

« Reply #134 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:42 pm »

What part of "Price for individual albums is $500" don't you understand?  Read the fine print before you make snarky comments.

Yes, if you sign up for the subscription, they go down to $375 or something still insane like that.

If you want to pay $375 for "Hooker and Heat" or "Nat King Cole sings/George Shearling Plays" live it up.  There just isn't any meaningful software here to be worth the investment for me.  That's why I got rid of my RTR.  A great turntable, cartridge and phono preamp comes close enough that I can live happily ever after and actually have a music COLLECTION to play.

And it's really no slam against the Tape Project.  Because of the nature of this beast, it's going to be hard for them to get anyone wanting to release these older, more fragile master tapes to be played enough to be meaningfully duplicated.

If they were able to take this a step further do a one generation dub, and give us some great 7.5 ips titles for $75 -$100 each it would be cool, especially if it featured a wider range of music.

Don't forget, with the nature of todays tape, the coatings and lubrication aren't as they were in the old days.  Ask any recording engineer, todays tape has a lifespan of 10 years - maybe.  Tape is just like vinyl.  It degrades as you play it. Not as quickly as vinyl, but again, unless you keep the machine meticulously clean and aligned its just another CF.

I wouldn't overestimate the other labels getting into this.  The remaster game is making it harder and harder for independent companies to get their hands on master tapes, if they are even getting the actual masters.  As the rec industry people want us to move to 24.96 and many of them are starting to oversee some of their own vinyl, due to demand, the thought of 100 titles on the horizon is optimistic at best.

As I recall, the Tape Project made this same claim when they were starting out and that was 2007. They are just starting on the third group of ten now, in 2012.

No one will be doing tape as a business model.  If Paul Stubblebine didn't have a regular job owning a studio, etc etc, he probably couldn't do this.  I'd be surprised if even at $375 a pop they are making a penny on this.  Not everyone trying to get into this will do it as a labor of love like they have.

Seriously, I would do your homework before you make this move.  For everyone out there that is gaga over their RTR machine, there are 100 people like me that flushed a lot of money and time down the toilet with minimal results.

I hope you are happy with the purchase.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #135 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:20 pm »
tonepub, i agree w/most of what you say, except this:

"...Tape is just like vinyl.  It degrades as you play it. Not as quickly as vinyl, but again, unless you keep the machine meticulously clean and aligned its just another CF."

no way winyl degrades quickly - i have many records that are 30-40 years old, played to death, and they still sound great.  can't speak for tapes...

doug s.

audiobat

« Reply #136 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:42 pm »
No offense but, I feel inclined to type some facts in these forums from time to time, so bear with me.
When you buy 6 tapes they are $300 each and $300 thereafter.
Where do you get $375? Lets just pull numbers outta the air!

The new tape compositions are actually very good from RMGI and will probably out last me, beyond that who gives cares.
Vinyl wears out? If so then you're doing it wrong.

Hooker N heat... all day long baby Boogie Chillin!
Don't like Nat King Cole, we have gone from misinformed to just being silly now.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #137 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:53 pm »
$300 per album is completely insane, imo.  even half that is insane; unless it's for one or two wery special recordings. 

ymmv,

doug s.

TONEPUB

« Reply #138 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:58 pm »
No offense but, I feel inclined to type some facts in these forums from time to time, so bear with me.
When you buy 6 tapes they are $300 each and $300 thereafter.
Where do you get $375? Lets just pull numbers outta the air!

The new tape compositions are actually very good from RMGI and will probably out last me, beyond that who gives cares.
Vinyl wears out? If so then you're doing it wrong.

Hooker N heat... all day long baby Boogie Chillin!
Don't like Nat King Cole, we have gone from misinformed to just being silly now.

Vinyl wears out if everything is not perfection.  And we are in the middle of a wear cycle to actually see what affects wear more, extended plays, mis aligned stylus, too much or too little stylus force, etc etc.   So we are going to get down to the bottom of this.

And I think we've all bought used records that exhibit signs of wear.  None of the records I've bought new and taken perfect care of show any wear that I can hear, but again, not the case for everyone. 

$375 is what they told me at CES, so I'm not pulling "numbers out of the air"  $300, $400, what's the diff? Still way more money than I'd ever spend for those titles.  I've never paid more than $100 for a record and I doubt I ever would.  There is nothing on vinyl that is worth $300 - $500 to me.

I like Nat King Cole and Hooker N Heat, just not to the tune of $300 each. or $375 or $500 or whatever.  Another record you can buy a MINT copy of for $5.

Again, all the tape guys I've talked to are saying limited lifespan.  Sorry, that's what the engineers tell me. It's a moot point, I'm never going back to the tape thing.  It's just not compelling enough.

You're just caught up in the romance of buying a tape machine.  Good for you.  Let's talk in a couple of years...

I'll pass.

charmerci

« Reply #139 on: 12 Mar 2012, 10:20 pm »
I think "Nat King Cole sings/George Shearling Plays" is an amazing album.  :thumb: No one plays and sings like that anymore.