Too quiet

Napalm

Too quiet
« on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »

newzooreview

Re: Too quiet
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:49 pm »
The reason the higher resolution files sound better is that any degradation can occur outside of the audible spectrum (or a good portion of it can). Working with Redbook, you're right at the Nyquist limit so unless the entire reproduction chain is flawless you're going to eat into the audible range with whatever imperfections there are.

The argument being made on this site is like the physics problems we used to get that started off with "imagine a monkey hanging from a rope on a frictionless pulley…" There aren't any frictionless pulleys in real life, and monkeys don't often behave how physicists would like. The theoretical behavior of that system does not transfer to real life.

I am happy to accept, at face value, that Redbook CD is theoretically sufficient and the higher bitrates don't have a benefit, in theory. But in practice they obviously do. Yeah, he also cites a study where folks in a double blind test didn't hear the difference. In studies involving human subjects, there need to be very careful repetitions and an examination of the experimental setup before we can draw any conclusions. The jury is still well out on that topic, and there's a lot of good observational evidence that there is an audible difference as well.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:56 pm »
The paper cited in the article is available here: http://colors.webatu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/audibility-of-a-cd-standard-ada-loop-inserted.pdf

Published papers are often archived by the author for academic use.

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:18 pm »
Yeah, he also cites a study where folks in a double blind test didn't hear the difference. In studies involving human subjects, there need to be very careful repetitions and an examination of the experimental setup before we can draw any conclusions. The jury is still well out on that topic, and there's a lot of good observational evidence that there is an audible difference as well.

Observational evidence is subject to confirmation bias, and is therefore not relevant. Also, a cited double blind study that suggests that there is no audible difference between hi-rez and redbook is much stronger proof than I have ever seen offered to the contrary. Why immediately cast doubt on the findings?

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:56 pm »
The published paper is over 5 years old (the research would have been wrapped up at least 9 months before getting to print in a real peer-reviewed journal).

I really couldn't put much stock in one comparison using 5-year old equipment. The one thing that has advanced significantly in the last 5 years is DAC technology, and the paper cited doesn't use the same file at full resolution as recorded and downsampled to 16/44.1. It uses files that are mastered differently (DVD-A and SACD files encoded from different masters than the older CD versions). The the authors pass the DVD-A and SACD files through their own downsampler.

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2012, 09:35 pm »
Observational evidence is subject to confirmation bias, and is therefore not relevant. Also, a cited double blind study that suggests that there is no audible difference between hi-rez and redbook is much stronger proof than I have ever seen offered to the contrary. Why immediately cast doubt on the findings?

That's silly. Maybe there's confirmation bias, maybe there isn't. Just because it might be present doesn't invalidate every observation. Maybe the observer expects to hear no difference, or expects the Redbook file to sound better. I agree that observational evidence is subject to problems, but an old, badly designed study is not necessarily dispositive either. One study never is.

In this case, the study is weak. The methods section is wholly inadequate to allow another researcher to reproduce the results. I've reviewed numerous papers in my field (geochemistry), and this would get sent right back by me or most other reviewers. The tests of listeners' hearing abilities is stated to have been "informal" and the listeners were different groups in different settings. They report the bulk outcomes of tests with variable equipment and changing clusters of listeners. It's a shambles. There is no way to determine which listeners listened to which setup under which conditions. Furthermore, they see a significant (at face value) difference between male and female listeners, but they don't discuss this seriously. Do other researchers find such profound differences in male and female auditory perceptions? If not, what's going on here? If yes, why and how might it relate to drawing conclusions?

The methods are so badly described, that it's impossible to know what the subjects were asked. The authors report the results in terms of the percentage of "correct" answers, but this is meaningless. What counted as a correct answer? Not only is this a biased way to speak about their experimental results, we don't even know if "correct" means that a) the subjects can detect a difference between the two sources or b) the subjects thought that the hi-res file sounded better. The methods section states that their goal is to test SACD and DVD-A for its "superiority to CD audio". This implies that the test subjects were asked if the hi-res source sounded better to them. In the results section, however, they say they that what they are really asking is whether people can hear the difference between a hi-res source and the same source passed through a 16/44.1 downsampling device.

They don't specify whether specific songs show different results in this test, or whether they see differences in outcomes starting with SACD or DVD-A. They also don't validate whether removing the A/B switch and downsampler completely from the system has any affect. It's an obvious concern that even if the 16/44.1 compression isn't engaged, that stuff in the signal path (and plugged into the power line) could degrade the sound enough that the hi-res playback is degraded overall. There are so many holes in this study that documenting them all is tedious.

There are also only two peer-reviewed publications cited in this paper. Two, plus two conference proceedings, all from this one journal's previous issues. This raises a number of red flags. Again, a serious peer-review would have asked the authors to cite all of the previous research relevant to their methodology, at a minimum (even if nobody ever performed an identical experiment, they are making choices in study design and testing of human hearing that have definitely been tackled previously).

My final concern is that the author's obviously approach this work with a bias. They state bluntly they consider it "well past time to settle the matter scientifically." And they state in their conclusions that "the burden of proof has now shifted." This type of swaggering and boastfulness certainly raise questions about their motives, and since the supposedly double blind methodology is not described and they admit to monitoring the outcomes throughout the year during which they conducted the tests, the legitimacy of the study is weakened.

Finally, they state clearly at the end that they only tested the affect of their 16/44.1 compression device. When they tested actual CDs vs. their DVD-A or SACD equivalents, they report "virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs."

This doesn't fit their preferred conclusions, however, so without any evidence they dismiss it with the statement "These recordings seem to have been made with great care and manifest affection, by engineers trying to please themselves and their peers. They sound like it, label after label." Every one of them sounds better because they were re-mastered by genius craftsmen? Since they provide no information about which recordings they are talking about in any part of their study, we have no way of validating that broad statement.

Obviously the means exist now almost 6 years later to do a much better job with a study like this. As it is, this one is little better than our collective observations on the matter.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2012, 09:48 pm »
What would you do if a "much better study" as you say, said once again the same things? Did you actually read the article? It's not like it was written in '96.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm »
That's silly. Maybe there's confirmation bias, maybe there isn't. Just because it might be present doesn't invalidate every observation. Maybe the observer expects to hear no difference, or expects the Redbook file to sound better. I agree that observational evidence is subject to problems, but an old, badly designed study is not necessarily dispositive either. One study never is.

In this case, the study is weak. The methods section is wholly inadequate to allow another researcher to reproduce the results. I've reviewed numerous papers in my field (geochemistry), and this would get sent right back by me or most other reviewers. The tests of listeners' hearing abilities is stated to have been "informal" and the listeners were different groups in different settings. They report the bulk outcomes of tests with variable equipment and changing clusters of listeners. It's a shambles. There is no way to determine which listeners listened to which setup under which conditions. Furthermore, they see a significant (at face value) difference between male and female listeners, but they don't discuss this seriously. Do other researchers find such profound differences in male and female auditory perceptions? If not, what's going on here? If yes, why and how might it relate to drawing conclusions?

The methods are so badly described, that it's impossible to know what the subjects were asked. The authors report the results in terms of the percentage of "correct" answers, but this is meaningless. What counted as a correct answer? Not only is this a biased way to speak about their experimental results, we don't even know if "correct" means that a) the subjects can detect a difference between the two sources or b) the subjects thought that the hi-res file sounded better. The methods section states that their goal is to test SACD and DVD-A for its "superiority to CD audio". This implies that the test subjects were asked if the hi-res source sounded better to them. In the results section, however, they say they that what they are really asking is whether people can hear the difference between a hi-res source and the same source passed through a 16/44.1 downsampling device.

They don't specify whether specific songs show different results in this test, or whether they see differences in outcomes starting with SACD or DVD-A. They also don't validate whether removing the A/B switch and downsampler completely from the system has any affect. It's an obvious concern that even if the 16/44.1 compression isn't engaged, that stuff in the signal path (and plugged into the power line) could degrade the sound enough that the hi-res playback is degraded overall. There are so many holes in this study that documenting them all is tedious.

There are also only two peer-reviewed publications cited in this paper. Two, plus two conference proceedings, all from this one journal's previous issues. This raises a number of red flags. Again, a serious peer-review would have asked the authors to cite all of the previous research relevant to their methodology, at a minimum (even if nobody ever performed an identical experiment, they are making choices in study design and testing of human hearing that have definitely been tackled previously).

My final concern is that the author's obviously approach this work with a bias. They state bluntly they consider it "well past time to settle the matter scientifically." And they state in their conclusions that "the burden of proof has now shifted." This type of swaggering and boastfulness certainly raise questions about their motives, and since the supposedly double blind methodology is not described and they admit to monitoring the outcomes throughout the year during which they conducted the tests, the legitimacy of the study is weakened.

Finally, they state clearly at the end that they only tested the affect of their 16/44.1 compression device. When they tested actual CDs vs. their DVD-A or SACD equivalents, they report "virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs."

This doesn't fit their preferred conclusions, however, so without any evidence they dismiss it with the statement "These recordings seem to have been made with great care and manifest affection, by engineers trying to please themselves and their peers. They sound like it, label after label." Every one of them sounds better because they were re-mastered by genius craftsmen? Since they provide no information about which recordings they are talking about in any part of their study, we have no way of validating that broad statement.

Obviously the means exist now almost 6 years later to do a much better job with a study like this. As it is, this one is little better than our collective observations on the matter.

I think you are close to the core of getting this correct.  It's a strange mix of "facts" and dodgy logic/testing to arrive at a pre-determined conclusion. 

Very few audiophiles who have been at this for any length of time is going to buy into this line of ill-logic.  The so called "testing" done has a whole heap of holes one could drive a truck through.  There is always a lack of detail regarding these so called listening comparison tests.  For example, if both the SACD and CD are played back through a player with a cheap ass op amp and I/V section, then, what do you expect?? 

It's one thing to put out interesting facts, but quite another to string them together into a rock solid argument.  This clearly misses the mark on a number of levels.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm »
What would those be exactly, those missed marks?

And are you also suggesting you need a super high end player to notice a difference? Do you know which player they used?

What about the parts that had nothing to do with playback systems, just about 16bit in general, and the human ear, and 16 bit's underrated capability?

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm »
What would those be exactly, those missed marks?

And are you also suggesting you need a super high end player to notice a difference? Do you know which player they used?

What about the parts that had nothing to do with playback systems, just about 16bit in general, and the human ear, and 16 bit's underrated capability?

Go back and re-read the article, as well as Newzoo's assessment.  They jump out like a sore thumb.

There is so much information missing from his listening tests claims that they have little to no credibility whatsoever.  This reminds me of the "all amps sound the same crowd", who have a pre-determined set of views, and no distortion analyzer is going to tell them any different.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm »
I'll look it over tonight. Definitely intriguing though.

newzooreview

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm »
What would you do if a "much better study" as you say, said once again the same things? Did you actually read the article? It's not like it was written in '96.

I posted the link so that everyone could have a look. If another paper came out on the topic, I would read it and decide if the conclusions were substantiated. Given the type of experiment, further studies would be needed to build up a preponderance of evidence. I see it like other biological research, such as toxicological studies. You need to look carefully at all of the possible influences on the results before there's a consensus. The carcinogenicity of arsenic in drinking water is a great example of many competent researchers doing good work and coming to different conclusions. We aren't even close to that level of care and research in this case, although the problem may be just as fraught with challenges in experimental design, proper controls, and statistical analysis.

I'm a scientist. If it's clear that there is no difference after reproducible results have come in and been confirmed, then I would want to explore the "confirmation bias" hypothesis or placebo affect in more detail as well. That in itself is poorly understood. There are no wrong answer here.

newzooreview

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:43 pm »
An interesting question is how to design a study that would test whether the theory is supported in observation. I'm sure we've all run across problems in A/B tests, double-blind and otherwise, in our direct experience or in our reading. What are those and how could we design the experiment around them? I'll post more after I get home, but some are

1. Choosing the people to participate in the test (can they hear differences that are in fact measurable? maybe we need to more carefully screen them).

2. Choosing the music. Are all passages equally revealing of potential differences? How do we choose music that will not bias the results.

3. Validating the equipment setup. Does the equipment at least have the measured linearity of frequency response from end to end (and in total) not to impose its own issues? Maybe we just have to repeat the experiment with different setups because we honestly don't yet have a suite of measurements that captures the differences we reliably hear between systems.

4. Room acoustics. We should probably do at least one run of tests in as close as we can get to an anechoic chamber. Then proceed to real rooms if something can be detected in the anechoic environment.

5. Statistical methods. What would be considered a significant result given our sample population? What is the results expected from chance, and by how much do we need to vary from that result to conclude people are hearing something?

If we focus on how we might do this correctly it could be fun and informative. The hypothesis about Nyquist limits in the original article could then get an impartial hearing.

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:57 pm »
An interesting question is how to design a study that would test whether the theory is supported in observation. I'm sure we've all run across problems in A/B tests, double-blind and otherwise, in our direct experience or in our reading. What are those and how could we design the experiment around them? I'll post more after I get home, but some are

1. Choosing the people to participate in the test (can they hear differences that are in fact measurable? maybe we need to more carefully screen them).

2. Choosing the music. Are all passages equally revealing of potential differences? How do we choose music that will not bias the results.

3. Validating the equipment setup. Does the equipment at least have the measured linearity of frequency response from end to end (and in total) not to impose its own issues? Maybe we just have to repeat the experiment with different setups because we honestly don't yet have a suite of measurements that captures the differences we reliably hear between systems.

4. Room acoustics. We should probably do at least one run of tests in as close as we can get to an anechoic chamber. Then proceed to real rooms if something can be detected in the anechoic environment.

5. Statistical methods. What would be considered a significant result given our sample population? What is the results expected from chance, and by how much do we need to vary from that result to conclude people are hearing something?

If we focus on how we might do this correctly it could be fun and informative. The hypothesis about Nyquist limits in the original article could then get an impartial hearing.

Well stated. 

My problem with the findings posted about issues such as this is that the proper controls and entering arguments are not sufficiently defined.  The AES would need to get serious, spend sufficient funds, get a well rounded body of experts, and agree on all aspects regarding testing and analysis.  That simply is not going to happen, so we will probably never come to reasonable conclusions or agreements with this (or amps sounding or not sounding the same, for that matter).

Right now, there is NO WAY I'm buying that SACD (for example) is indistinguishable from CD.  I readily get all the arguments about mastering, but that does cover the obvious improvements one can hear between the two formats on many of the recordings I own.  It’s not a placebo, it’s real.

newzooreview

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2012, 12:35 am »
This is why actual science vs. armchair engineering takes so long to move (in the view of laymen). I don't use the term laymen pejoratively, but if you haven't published in the sciences and grappled with the thousand questions and possible alternate explanations of your observations, it's far too easy to say "i've measured something so it's proven." Or "theory says it should work this way, so it does in practice."

Starting with the topic of how to choose the participants in a listening test, I would think we'd first want to establish a method of screening for people who have a basic ability to hear measurable differences in audio reproduction. It's not enough to say someone is a professional or an audiophile. A professional is just someone who gets paid to do something, and an audiophile is essentially an enthusiast with no real certification of competence.

So, first we need to define some audible differences to use in screening people. Ability to hear up to a certain frequency (all the way to 20kHz? That eliminates folks over 30 approximately.) Ability to hear what else? We have a gulf between how we describe and perceive sound and the limited types of measurements that we make.

It would be a pretty good dissertation for someone to simply develop an "audio proficiency test." Maybe it's been done.

Assuming we could sort through the candidates and find a group of say 200 people who demonstrate proficiency in discerning measurable differences in audio reproduction, then we could move on to the equipment setup. I don't know if there's interest in discussing these things in detail, so I'll stop posting until the discussion evolves I think.

*Scotty*

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2012, 03:52 am »
I don't get this, there are holes that you can drive a MAC truck through in this article, why hasn't anyone pointed them out yet.
 I will list one reason we need 24 bits. When we use the 16bit format and the signal level goes down to -60dB, as it might do on a reverberation tail, we encounter a level of distortion greater than 3% THD. This is because by the time we get down to negative 60dB we only have 6bits left to describe the waveform out of the 16bits we started with at 0dB.
If we accept a format with 60dB of usable dynamic range with a distortion floor 3% THD well OK,
personally I would rather have the at least 90dB of usable dynamic range that 24bits brings to the table.
I think the article reads like the old perfect sound forever crap that SONY put 30 years ago.
Scotty

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2012, 09:02 am »
 All due respect to the old forum heads, I'm going to hold out for more evidence. There are lots of things bandied about on these forums that turn out to be utter rubbish and unnecessary. I don't want to be another audiophool, emptied of his pockets and his brains. It will be nice to finally get a demo.

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2012, 11:11 am »
some industry reflections, this one's from Naim, in the latest Gramphone magazine :

sorry no text file, hope you can read it.

Marius

ps wish the industry would provide us with means to answer his final caution..

firedog

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm »
The test at the Boston Audio Society is considered flawed by many. Criticism of it can be found on the Net.

In any case, as even the testers at the Boston Audio Society pointed out, SACD (hi-res) often sounds better b/c it has different/better mastering than Redbook.

So while it may be that "hi-res" doesn't sound better, "hi-res recordings" may indeed sound better.

wisnon

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2012, 02:03 pm »
some industry reflections, this one's from Naim, in the latest Gramphone magazine :

sorry no text file, hope you can read it.

Marius

ps wish the industry would provide us with means to answer his final caution..

Yes, the "chain of custody" is the important bit that we dont have a handle on. Transparency here is often lacking...