Speed Issues on Amadeus

Shakeydeal

Speed Issues on Amadeus
« on: 5 Mar 2012, 03:22 pm »
I had read that some customers had to adjust the motor controller after adding the DPS. This turned out to be true in my case as well. I first noticed the speed issue when attemtping to play my first 45 rpm record. So after using the strobe disc to adjust the motor for the 33 1/3 band, the 45 speed is still fast, audibly so too.

So how does one adjust the one speed w/o affecting the other? I am assuming that if I make the necessary adjustments for 45 rpm, 33 1/3 will now be too slow.

Thoughts?

Shakey

roscoeiii

Re: Speed Issues on Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2012, 04:29 pm »
Not sure on that one. I have also found that when 33 1/3 is dialed in, the 45 speed is a touch off with the wallwart.

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2012, 06:51 pm »
How do you adjust the speed?

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2012, 07:19 pm »
Turn a screw or allen wrench on the back

Erocka2000

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2012, 08:30 pm »
Ah, got it.  Also, what are you folks using for a strobe light?  I'm trying to find something on Google, but nothing has turned up yet. 

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:18 am »
Use a standard incandescent bulb. No strobe light needed.
Not sure about changes in 45 and 33 yet, i'll try, but yes, when adding the dps, or doing any power supply or motor changes, even a belt change, you should check the speed, which only takes a sec.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm »
+1 on the standard incandescent bulb, works fine.

Mike is sending me a new pulley to try. I'll report back on whether or not that fixes the problem.

Shakey

MRC

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2012, 08:48 am »
Hi Shakey,

How did that turn out? I'm having precisely the same problem- setting speed for 33 rpm sets 45 rpm too fast- audibly and visually. I'm using a Clearaudio strobe light and disc. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:28 pm »
I use a Kuzma Strobi.  It's both a strobe and record weight.  Simple to use and effective, and not to heavy for a table like the WT. 
Can be purchased here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kuzma-Strobi-Strobe-Discs-LP-Record-weight-/370573694797?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item5647e9d74d

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2012, 02:28 pm »
I have a similar problem on my Townshend Rock 7. Solved it by grabbing a VPI PLC, and noting the level for 33 1/3 and 45 RPM (this one doesn't have the separate adjustment). And to get the speads dead on, I found a super cheap tach meter that is sensitive to 0.1 RPM:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180794148398

Haven't yet borrowed my friend' KAB strobe to confirm the accuracy tho.

jshefik

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2012, 05:13 pm »
Just checked with Tach @45 when 33.3 accurate: I get 45.6 rpm. That's a bummer! Half a revolution per 45. Is there a threshold over where you really start noticing it?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2012, 04:17 pm »
I am embarrased to say it, but I have not yet installed the new pulley. :duh:

Shakey

Sonny

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2012, 05:54 pm »
Just checked with Tach @45 when 33.3 accurate: I get 45.6 rpm. That's a bummer! Half a revolution per 45. Is there a threshold over where you really start noticing it?

James, the threshold, I think is if you can discern that the sound is off "pitched"...but I doubt that you'll notice it.

MRC

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2012, 08:22 am »
Shakey, these things take time... don't sweat it.

But do say how the 33/45 rpm issues turned out after installing the new one. How do you replace the pulley?

Sonny, in this case I noticed speeded up mid range and treble plus lightweight bass at 45 when 33 1/3 was right, and vague, undefined sound at 33 when 45 was set at correct speed.

ebuzz

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2014, 07:27 pm »
Ah, got it.  Also, what are you folks using for a strobe light?  I'm trying to find something on Google, but nothing has turned up yet.
Is there a way to adjust the speed on the WT Classic with square motor?

Yoda

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:55 pm »
Off topic, but the square motor is an AC motor where the speed is fixed by the main's frequency.  I found that moving the square motor further in or further out to adjust tension on the belt has some minor influence on the speed, and sometimes replacing the belt can change it too. If the speed is way off, check for pulley slippage.  I'm now running an Origin Live DC motor kit on my Classic which is very good once sorted.

ebuzz

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:59 pm »
Off topic, but the square motor is an AC motor where the speed is fixed by the main's frequency.  I found that moving the square motor further in or further out to adjust tension on the belt has some minor influence on the speed, and sometimes replacing the belt can change it too. If the speed is way off, check for pulley slippage.  I'm now running an Origin Live DC motor kit on my Classic which is very good once sorted.

thanks, i know it was a little off topic, but figured I try it anyway.  I also though about moving the motor a bit and trying a new belt.  I will give both of those a try.  I am interested in Origin Live kit and was hoping you could give me the skinny on what you got, how it works, pix, etc. 
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks again.